What have you found in tree's (Bring pic's)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8B31E758-9387-4A36-88B0-6AC9D6085FD5.jpeg
That would be concrete...
51C8A441-FD09-4643-A735-F8FC63B56CCA.jpeg
A removal I did for an old coworker. The old man that used to own the property showed up that day and said he remembered when they filled that rotten limb with concrete. Luckily the trunk wasn’t rotted out back then, so it didn’t run too far down and I was able to pull the chunk out.

My saws have found every kind of metal over the years: barb wire, screw eyes, nails, screws, & fence staples, you name it.

Dropped an elm for a friend last year that someone had laid the needle from a square baler in a crotch and the tree had grown around it. Square baler needle is a 2--3' curved length of cast iron to deliver the twine to the knotters. Fortunately the iron was quite visible so I could cut around it.

As to the fresh sharp chain thing--I was making my face cut, first cut of the day, with a brand new nicely sharpened chain when I hit hardware. When you cut anywhere near homes and other structures you're guaranteed to find where folks mounted their mailbox, bird house, signs, etc.

Was dropping a black locust years ago, and knew it was hollow. When it went over I was looking into the eyes and bared teeth of two possums that nearly got a crew cut.

View attachment 947755
That would be concrete...
View attachment 947756
A removal I did for an old coworker. The old man that used to own the property showed up that day and said he remembered when they filled that rotten limb with concrete. Luckily the trunk wasn’t rotted out back then, so it didn’t run too far down and I was able to pull the chunk out.
Brings back memory of my very first (and only homeowner apple tree removal) back in early 70's. it was loaded with a good amount of cement,even below ground level!...

Ive heard alot of good stories about crazy metal found in tree's and thought it would make a good thread.
Here's a white oak tree in white lake Michigan that dang near swallowed a stop sign. This tree makes a good point "Stop nailing stuff to trees"View attachment 488132 View attachment 488133 View attachment 488134
Out of one co-dominant red oak, in Feb. 2009 in a 60” d.b.h., 80’ top limbs grown between a residence and a rent house garage, trunk split apart in an ice storm. Beneath the two-trunk crotch was a steel pipe, twisted shank nails, a horseshoe, barbed wire and welded-wire fence. these items ride in my tree work truck in a heavy duty zip lock bag to prove to customers what can ruin your day and maybe even your chain saw. I carry a battery-powered Lumber Wizard in the truck, the battery stays in the truck glove box. In 2020 I bought an Oregon Carbide 84-link $275.00 saw chain for cutting through metal in a trunk and I’ve used it twice.

Found a horseshoe in a old hickory. No pics. The saw sparked and got so dulll, the tree was smouldering, when the snow started. I made it back about 1 week later and the tree was all burned out. I haven't thought about that in 20 years.

While its always nice to win the interweb for a day I can claim nothing from these videos, just happen to see them in my travels. Pretty remarkable that the bears didn't panic and get hurt in the process.

A SP125 I was borrowing found what appears to be a .223 round in a Ponderosa log (I dug it out later). The interesting part is based on the growth rings it was fired ~20 years ago and no matter where it was fired from the shooter would have to have been on a public road shooting in the general direction of a house, on our property near the house firing towards the road, or in/near a neighboring house shooting towards the road. It kinda makes you wonder who was shooting and at what?
IMG_0168.JPG

Back