What I need to become licensed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around me people just want you to be insured. I'm a small guy so I can bring in a buddy who has it to help me. Once you step off the ground the insurance company deems it risky business my decent quotes we're all about 12-1500 a year. All for only an estimated 15 k a year in profit. I have signed a waiver of release for customers holding me responsiable for damages and releasing them from a lawsuit if injury occurs. I have a tight knit crew that is big on safety. I've ate a few minor damages but it always has cost me less than my policy. I'm starting to rapidly grow this year and plan to use my additional revenue to get some just in case I need it and because I will get more work

Digging up an old post, but any chance you’d be interested in sharing your waiver with me? I don’t do enough business to make it cost effective to buy insurance (few jobs a month, mainly to get firewood). I would like the peace of mind though, and have something to ease concerns of potential customers. Until my business gets big enough to require it anyhow.

Get insurance. No good excuse not to and still pretend to be a business. If you are cutting firewood for personal use and not charging anything...yeah, get a good waiver.

Get insurance. No good excuse not to and still pretend to be a business. If you are cutting firewood for personal use and not charging anything...yeah, get a good waiver.
Not just for personal use. It’s for extra cash in my pocket and only something I do in addition to my day job. I can only hold 10-12 cords (in addition to what I keep for me) at any given point. I also have a mill setup and sell rough cut boards. I tend to mill those at the property I’m working at. Those are easier to store and people pay good money for them, but they don’t move as quickly.

Then get insurance. You think you can't afford that....then you certainly can't afford to have an accident without!

Talk to several agents and explain what you are doing. It may be a lot cheaper than you think if you limit the scope of what you are doing.

Then get insurance. You think you can't afford that....then you certainly can't afford to have an accident without!

Talk to several agents and explain what you are doing. It may be a lot cheaper than you think if you limit the scope of what you are doing.
Good points. I’m definity not a climber so that should help...

Hey guys, first post here. Been doing tree work (climbing, climbing, removal, pruning, hazard trees and limbs) for a while now, but keep losing jobs because I'm not licensed. So I think I'm ready to take the dive, I just have no idea how to go about it. The legal mumbo jumbo is a little to much for my head. If anyone can help with the proper steps, that would be much appreciated!!
Looks like if you want to get in compliance you'll need either a CCB license or LCB license, or possibly an arborist license. Here's the link: https://www.oregon.gov/lcb/Pages/FAQ-Tree-Work.aspx . In my state, there are no state licenses for tree work or even general contracting. A few towns have license requirements, but you basically pay a small fee and provide proof of the types of insurance they require.
You'll want to make sure you've got workers comp on every single employee (you can usually legally exempt yourself from the policy if you wish, as that liability doesn't usually transfer upward to the customer should you get injured, even if you go bankrupt). And you'll want to make sure you've got a general liability insurance policy of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence (or whatever the state requires). Personally, I don't think the licensing requirement is constitutional, but courts are corrupt enough to usually allow it.

Latest posts

Back