What is a good cleaning solution to use in an Ultra Sonic Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of threads about which U/S cleaner to buy.
I would like to talk about the cleaning solutions, not the machines.
I've read several threads on them and people talk about different cleaners. I should have mine in a few days. I bought some of that "Purple Power" cleaner. What percentage should I mix it at? What types of cleaners work good for you, and at what strength? Can I leave a part in too long?

Simple Green as Wiggs said, or I often use a product called Awesome that you buy at the dollar store, it really works well.

I just picked one up over the weekend for the Lightning project. I've used it a little bit, but mostly just water, a little dish soap helps. I'm hesitant to use any of the cleaners like Simple Green, the Purple stuff, etc... They are all corrosive to aluminum and magnesium. I spoke with SG on the phone and told them what I plan on doing, they pointed me towards the Extreme Aviation & Precision Cleaner. 1/10 ratio with water in a USC. So I ordered up a gallon to try it out. I will let ya'll know how it works out.

Simple Green as Wiggs said, or I often use a product called Awesome that you buy at the dollar store, it really works well.

Ya I agree that works well...if your using it for the US, buy the 32 oz refill bottles. If your wanting a spray bottle to get gunk off saws use the 22 oz spray bottle.

We have a Sonicor model 550 in the shop. It holds about 7 gallons of water.

I add about half a cup of purple degreaser, and a about a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap to it.

I do not recomend adding very much of the purple power or any other similiar cleaners. They can "blacken" aluminum parts if they are left in too long.

We use our just about every day, and it is a much better set-up than soaking carburetors in those stinky/caustic 5 gallon buckets of commercial carburetor cleaner.

I still set the room it's in for a little negative ventilation, as it does put off some fumes when it heats up.....Cliff

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

I use Cascade (dishwasher detergent) at the rate of a couple teaspoons to the half gallon of water. Need to mix it in to the hot water a bit before adding item to be cleaned. Has worked well for me. I've used liquid and powder form. Powder seems to work the best.

Awsome,,gonna change to that stuff.
forgot and left a carb in the purple mix and turned it a very pretty gun metal grey..
cleaned out the large one yestday,had purple mix in it.found i had left a piston ring in it,,actually ate into it !.
dont like the thought of using detergents,unless a long rinse cycle is used :)

I know there has been a lot of threads about which U/S cleaner to buy.
I would like to talk about the cleaning solutions, not the machines.
I've read several threads on them and people talk about different cleaners. I should have mine in a few days. I bought some of that "Purple Power" cleaner. What percentage should I mix it at? What types of cleaners work good for you, and at what strength? Can I leave a part in too long?

I use the same cleaner as you, purple power at a 10 percent ratio. I fill the jar(which I suspend above the bottom of the tank) with 90 percent water and then 10 percent purple power. I let it run about 6 minutes depending on how dirty the carb is.

Simple Green Extreme Aviation and Precision Cleaner

I got my Simple Green Aviation cleaner in the other day. Mixed it up 25% with some water as I had some pretty grungy stuff from my Lightning project to do. Ran a top end, piston, and various other aluminum parts through it. It works quite well, I'm pretty happy with it. I will probably order a case of it once this gallon is gone.

I have tried purple power at about 15-20%. I works great, but like people mentioned, it will gray the parts. No big deal to me. Next I tried just a little Dawn dish soap and water, that worked great also, no graying. I set the heat for 170. I've been kicking around buying an U/S cleaner for over a year now. I love the one I bought. I wish I would have done it sooner. It beats the heck out of a coffee can filled with gas.

We've used orange citrus cleaner in ours with good success. This last time we put in acetone/water mix. No discoloration at all on aluminum. Works great.
There are several cleaners intended just for soft metal cleaning in ultrasonic tanks that won't eat into the metal. Being the king of ultrasonics, Branson makes some good stuff. Made for al., brass, copper...

http://www.cleanosonic.com/mc3.html

I have tried purple power at about 15-20%. I works great, but like people mentioned, it will gray the parts. No big deal to me. Next I tried just a little Dawn dish soap and water, that worked great also, no graying. I set the heat for 170. I've been kicking around buying an U/S cleaner for over a year now. I love the one I bought. I wish I would have done it sooner. It beats the heck out of a coffee can filled with gas.
:msp_laugh: yup :rockn:

We've used orange citrus cleaner in ours with good success. This last time we put in acetone/water mix. No discoloration at all on aluminum. Works great.
There are several cleaners intended just for soft metal cleaning in ultrasonic tanks that won't eat into the metal. Being the king of ultrasonics, Branson makes some good stuff. Made for al., brass, copper...

http://www.cleanosonic.com/mc3.html

i ruined a 394 carb with acetone....

Last edited:
i ruined a 394 carb with acetone....

How did you use it? In an ultrasonic cleaner? We haven't had a problem with it doing any of our carbs at a 10% mix. We don't soak anything longer than the cycle times. Usually less than 30 minutes. Then a complete rinse in clean water.

I used mine some more today. I'm really liking water and just a little Dawn dish soap. I noticed the purple power on high heat (175) actually will dissolve the carbon inside a muffler.

I'm using about a cup of Mean Green and a cup of liquid Tide on pistons and cylinders. After 3 to 4 99 minute runs the pistons are mostly clean. Is there a better cleaner for heavy carbon and heavy grease? I have a 13L tank. That is around a pint of cleaner in 3 gallons of water.

Thinking about using mineral spirits, in a small sealed jar. Just enough to cover a carb. then fill the u/s with water.

opinions?

Back