What is happening to this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Leaves are starting to fall, so I can see this tree I walk past every day. It seems the bark on the west side of the tree has been shaved off from ground to top. It wasn't like that last year. I don't know if it is the result of some massive insect invasion, or the very hard work of some bird, or if it might be a biologic.
IMG_8338.jpg
I think the tree is a hickory, but I can't see the top well enough to confirm with the leaves. It's not easy to get to, and I guess it will become even more noticeable as the woods thin even more. I just never saw a tree like this. Anyone else ever see something like this?

Thanks

Looks like an emerald ash borer got that tree.
Just do a google images search of emerald ash borer tree damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I found google images that match my picture perfectly. I did not know there were any Ash trees here on my property. And, it appears it won't be long till I will be right.

In wi here. We have whole 40 acre tract of woods just decimated by it. It’s really saddening looking at the woods some days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I found google images that match my picture perfectly. I did not know there were any Ash trees here on my property. And, it appears it won't be long till I will be right.

Though I have cut firewood for years, until the last few I wouldn't have known an Ash if it had bit me. Now with the die off I see scores of them every day and seemingly everywhere. Ron

Thanks for the guidance. I still suspect this is the only ash tree within the 75 acres of hardwood I hike every day, and the 13 acres I own and cut from all the time. As this one was along my driveway, and leaning toward my utility lines, I decided to let a pro take it down for me. So, about 10 minutes shooting the breeze with me, about 15 minutes rigging a line on the tree, through a well anchored pulley and up to my driveway where he hooked it to his truck. Then pretty much 1 minute with his very new Stihl MS 500i, and it was on the ground:

Another 5 minutes to pull his ropes, and he was gone in about half an hour. I watched how easy he made it look, and still feel good about my decision. I set lines and pull trees to help influence direction when I am working to save other good trees, or avoid snags. Even at my perceived 90% effective rate, I don't pull trees that carry their weight toward a building or utility lines.

That leaves me this tree about 30' down over a hill for me to process.

IMG_8597.jpg

I cut it into 9' lengths today:

Then after rigging, pulling, re-rigging, pulling again, I finally popped section one up to the driveway:

Did this for the second section too, then got redirected by my Executive Officer. So, here two of them sit ready for me to log arch them to a processing area:

IMG_8603.jpg

Latest posts

Back