What is more dangerous, rock climbing or tree climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess there are more tree climbers in the world than rock climbers, therby also having more injuries, but the injuries of rock climbers I would think would be more severe. Therefore, higher percentage of injuries and fatal ones in rock climbing. Maybe about the same percentage of injuries per participant. So do you say rock climbing is more dangerous? I say no. Maybe more fatal though. Where else can you encounter such a dangerous environment with heights combined with power lines, ice, bad weather, chainsaws, chippers, cranes, etc?

Tom Dunlap said:
Without fatalities/hours it's all conjecture.

I'll bet that it would be treework being more dangerous. After seeing climbers in either discipline, the rock/ice/mountain, rim, world seems to have a better tradition of safety standards and practices. Of course there will always be the front page articles and dramatic rescues.

Just because someone climbs trees for a living doesn't make them a safer climber than a recreational rim climber. Every time arbos get together there are stories tossed back and forth about some scary climber that was just seen. Maybe tree climbers have more luck than skill.

Your first line is brilliant.....none of us thought of that.:)

I don't know what isolated group of rock climbers you choose to associate with but..........go to Joshua tree, red river gorge, Zion, etc. on any given weekend and see how many wanna be climbers are trying out their new found, life purpose. I often get asked to rock climb with people and have seen hundreds of people with absolutely no training or skill rock climbing (without safety gear, other than a rope and saddle). How often does someone ask strangers to spend the weekend climbing doing tree work????? For some reason a lot of people view tree climbing as really dangerous and rock climbing as something anyone can do. Serious rock climbers are as much like the weekend clowns as professional arborist are like the weekend hacks. Most people who decide to do their own tree work, do it from the ground or use a ladder. Most people who decide to spend a weekend mountaineering or rock climbing do just that and you don't have to fall far to die.

teressa green said:
personally i dont climb unless theres some cash at the end of it ,

I've climbed on lots of things just to see the veiw from on top ;)

Last edited:
danger

its not the job or hobby. Its the sudden stop at the bottom that kills,
I leave all the climbing to the younsters now days, They bounce better.
Roger
Fremont,Ca USA

I talked to my groundie about this subject this morning, he is an avid rock climber who climbs at least once a week and is at the climbing gym at least twice a week. (usually on ladies night. Yes our climbing gym has a ladies night where they get in free, you should see all the hotties in spandex, but I digress) Kramers room mate is a professional climbing guide, and talked to him about this subject before. To quote his room mate trask, "its all about calculated risk." Most arborists I know dont take un-nessisary risks. Rock guys on the other had are always pushing the edge. and when I talk about rock guys Im talking about guys that do multi pitch lead climbs on clean faces on huge 2,000 ft slabs in Yosemite. If you make a mistake there and fall and all your protection blows out not only are you gonna be a greasy mess on the bottom of the mountain, but your partner is gonna be there right along side you. Like Kramer said, if you fall from a tree, the lawn is a lot softer than a tallus slope.

Kenn

I'd Have to say For me it would be rock climbing Because i have no experience climbing them and no training.

Off topic I know

Can someone explain what all the hoopla is all about when comes to this rock climbing. People ask me the same question all the time after doing their trees. " Do you also do rock climbing when your not climbing trees " my answer " Heck no, I have no desire to even try that."

My experience with rocks has never been a good one without my feet even having to leave the ground. I have had many blood blisters, smashed fingers, and some nasty cuts on my hands from just handling rocks, why a person would go climbing on the side of a rock is just beyond me.

Is it the fancy equipment that draws people into rec climbing of trees and big rocks, some kind of macho, daredevil image that is attached to using this equipment. What is the big deal here, I must be missing something. If it for the view when your done , I still don't get it, this guy is going to use the beaten path and hike up.

I have never climbed a tree for just the fun of it, it has always just been a way to make a living and nothing more. Maybe this is my problem, I dunno.

Larry

tales

ive been told that a good rock climber will make a good tree climber (maybe not a good arborist), but a good tree climber will lack the skills to be a good rock climber.

im enjoying climbing at an indoor wall and cant wait until the weather improves.

for me its not gadgets and gear (but i do like it all), its all about the challenege and figuring out problems.

jamie

I remember when I first started climbing trees. I would rarely use the rope. One day one of the other guys at work was watching me struggle my way up this elm lead that went up at about 45 degrees. He too was a rock climber. He was in the same tree and hollered over, "this isn't rock climbing...you can use the rope you know!"

I advanced leaps and bounds in my climbing skills that day!

love
nick

Ax-man said:
Off topic I know

Can someone explain what all the hoopla is all about when comes to this rock climbing. People ask me the same question all the time after doing their trees. " Do you also do rock climbing when your not climbing trees " my answer " Heck no, I have no desire to even try that."

My experience with rocks has never been a good one without my feet even having to leave the ground. I have had many blood blisters, smashed fingers, and some nasty cuts on my hands from just handling rocks, why a person would go climbing on the side of a rock is just beyond me.

Is it the fancy equipment that draws people into rec climbing of trees and big rocks, some kind of macho, daredevil image that is attached to using this equipment. What is the big deal here, I must be missing something. If it for the view when your done , I still don't get it, this guy is going to use the beaten path and hike up.

I have never climbed a tree for just the fun of it, it has always just been a way to make a living and nothing more. Maybe this is my problem, I dunno.

Larry

Climbing is a physical and mental challenge, once climbing grades get more differcult there are few holds and only a few ways that a person can succeed in making the climb. Youve got the thought of falling to your death to motivate you and the limit of your strength and endurance which you have to manage by using good technique. (women have better technique to start with as they dont have the strength that men can fall back on to grunt up).

There is a certain thrill involved as the adrenaline gets pumping when you think your going to fall (or you actually do.) Rock climbing developed from mountaineering, its all about the challenge of getting up and down rather than being at the top.

jamie said:
for me its not gadgets and gear (but i do like it all), its all about the challenege and figuring out problems.

jamie

Ditto! It's exciting, extremely physical, and a terrific challenge.

well having rock climbed for 20 years and been sponsered by several rock climbing companies; as well as tree climbing for about the same ; i couldnt help but respond .... tree climbing is freakin way more dangerous ...duh how many rock climbers have you seen carrying chainsaws ... ive been cut badly 6 months on crutches ,,, brusied - and in the er twice and have had 3 hernias tree climbing ... i broke my ankle once and pulled my a 1 pulley tendon in my poor little finger rock climbing ... rock climbing is so much safer ... every once in a while i encounter loose rock and thats alot like tree exposure .... either way from 20 years at both ,i vote tree climbing about 10 times to 1 more dangerous .... :dizzy:

I've never been rock climbing,but running a chainsaw on the ground is inherently dangerous, not to mention being aloft in a tree. Sometimes I think I have beaten the law of averages as far as accidents go. Knock on wood, never had a bad accident.

i started going to an in door wall just before i started collage - myboss said it was a good idea. i learnt the knots i use in tree climbing and its good exercise as well, but the technique is completly different, i got told that when rock climbing i climb like a gorrila coz i have a lot of upper body strength i just pul myself up which means that my arms get tired and i struggle on over hangs after i'v climbed a bit

And i 'v never heard of a cliff deciding its going to break of 5' up a topple in to some ones green house with someone climbing it.

Latest posts

Back