What is the attraction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Since there has been much activity in this forum as of late, maybe some of the people that post in this forum can answer a question for me.

What is the attraction to this rec tree climbing fad that seems to be catching on all around the country??? It would be interesting to hear from those that do it for sport and not for money.

Larry

I've been climbing trees for fun for 15 years at least. I've guided climbs into west coast big trees and spent many nights in a Treeboat or Portaledge solo and with other friends.

In my rec climbing gear locker I have a portaledge, Treeboat that I've modified and another flat hammock/tent configuration. There are probably eight New Tribe saddles and all of the ropes and biners that they need.

This is hardly a fad. More attention is getting paid to this activity.

Take a look here:

http://www.newtribe.com/caves2005.htm#Top

There will be a few folks from the pro climbing world attending too. On one evening I'm doing a talk called MIA:Modifications, Innovations and Adaptations. Tobe Sherrill is coming down along with 2005 ITCC World Champion Dan Kraus.

How many others are going to be there?

Tom,

I like your quote: "Peace is Patriotic too". Off the subject, I'm amazed at how old WWII veteran soldiers from all fronts can come together for a peaceful reunion. How can Brits and Germans play soccer on Christmas Eve on a battle field? Why didn't that happen on December 6th 1941?

Ax-Man,

I climb for numerous reasons. It's a three dimensional puzzle. It teaches a life lesson that techniques can conquer conditions. I feel spiritually connected when sitting in the canopy. Climbers are a good community of people to get to know. I think knots on rope is an ancient skill that resides in all of us. It burns calories.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun In Trees

For me tree climbing brings together other activities that I have been passionate about my entire life. What does Scouting, sailing, engineering, and physical fitness have in common? Tree climbing, IMHO. I love the time aloft and the continuous learning. I have always been afraid of heights (especially on a ladder) but find I have no problems in a harness. So cool! I was bored with my workouts but now have a new motive for staying fit. I'm a new climber at 49 y.o. and so glad I discovered this. I thank the resources on the web, arborists in general, and the fine folks who post here.

These are some very good replies. I am beginning to see to see why this is becoming such a popular sport or recreational activity.

I have never really had the oppurtunity to climb with a large group, I can probaly count on one hand the number of of times I have had a partner in a tree so to speak. Sounds like fun to climb with a group with no pressure to get a job done or have to compete against others. Throw in one of those big west coast conifers as an added challenge you have all the ingredients needed for a good time. I don't know if camping out for the night in the top of a tree is for me, never know till you try.

As our way of living becomes more and more faster paced and urbanized, the need to slow down and the need to get back in touch with nature increases for some, tree climbing fills this need for certain individuals. I can relate to that very easily. I have memories of many a good view from treetops but never have time to really take it in and enjoy the solitude, it is usually on of two things that have to be done destroy the tree :cry: or help it :cool: .

Maybe I will not be so quick to retire my climbing gear and take up recreational tree climbing as I am beginning to see the difference here, where as before I thought if a person did it for fun and was able to get into a tree top, OK I did it, now what, there is a little more to it than meets the eye.

Larry

Last edited:
Nice sentiments, Ax-mon.

I love recreational tree climbing, especially because it gives me the chance to experiment with some of the newer, cutting edge climbing tricks, tools, and techniques used by arborists on the vanguard of the art and science of tree climbing . Unfortunately, the worksite seems to be the worst place to learn new climbing techniques.

Because of strict, time-budgeted work orders, there’s just no time to test new equipment and techniques that will make one’s climbing career easier, safer, and more efficient. And then there are stodgy, blinder-eyed bosses, who have no patience for “newfangled” jangling “doohickies,” and insist the old tried-and-true techniques are the only way.

I no longer have to worry about these sorts of bosses, but I admit whenever I had a fairly tough tree to do (I don’t do real tough ones), until fairly recently I almost always reverted to the simpler, tried-and-true methods of approach, only because I hadn’t taken the time to familiarize myself with the newer methods. I’d use a ladder to get part way up the tree, monkey fist my way a couple times to the TIP, and DdRT the tree with a Blake’s hitch.

The funny thing is, for two or three years I had the knowledge and equipment to do it a better way. I made a makeshift “bigshot” out of a pitchfork, a pole extension, and rubber tubing, I acquired a pantin, ascenders, and a knowledge of how to tie advanced hitches and climb SRT. But I just didn’t employ any of these tools or methods much when it came to a serious, challenging day of climbing.

This is where recreational tree climbing came in. It allowed me the time to experiment with the new equipment and techniques and to become more familiar with them to where I felt I could trust them and employ them confidently in the tree.

But most of all, a day of recreational tree climbing is sheer and utter fun, when you can play with the new and evolving “toys” and techniques invented for those of the supra terra. It’s amazing how much fun you can have in a tree without the constraints of a boss, and a work order.

P.S. And, thank you, you can save those western conifers for adrenaline-drenched extreme thrill seekers. My zen experience peak is just about perfect in a modest 100’ Eastern White Pine.

Chucky said:
I love recreational tree climbing, especially because it gives me the chance to experiment with some of the newer, cutting edge climbing tricks, tools, and techniques used by arborists on the vanguard of the art and science of tree climbing . Unfortunately, the worksite seems to be the worst place to learn new climbing techniques.

That makes perfect sense to me as a non-pro. I can see how you wouldnt/couldnt experiment with the the new stuff on the job. As a rec climber I find that when I have a little job to do in the tree (like for myself or a neighbor) it gives my climbing added purpose. Not in the sense of making money, which I don't, but feeling somewhat good that I can accomplish something useful up there. Recent example---getting down an r/c flying saucer for the neighbor's kid. No one else around could have done that so I'm the kid's hero for a day.

Chuck R said:
For me tree climbing brings together other activities that I have been passionate about my entire life. What does Scouting, sailing, engineering, and physical fitness have in common? Tree climbing, IMHO. I love the time aloft and the continuous learning. I have always been afraid of heights (especially on a ladder) but find I have no problems in a harness. So cool! I was bored with my workouts but now have a new motive for staying fit. I'm a new climber at 49 y.o. and so glad I discovered this. I thank the resources on the web, arborists in general, and the fine folks who post here.

Plus I find it's pretty cool (at 47 years old) to walk into the gym and double, or even triple, the number of pullups the big young studs can do. :p

Chucky said:
...walk into the gym and double, or even triple, the number of pullups the big young studs can do.

Dang it Chucky, how many can you do? They're not so easy and a good indication of strength to weight ratio. This would be a good survey question. Thought I was doing good but when I think of tripling some number...any number...well I might not be as tough as I thought. :cry:

I don't know why I love it so much. A lot of times I just climb up somewhere and just sit there. Even in a small park next to a busy street, it's peaceful up there. Now imagine when you get into a sequoia miles from any signs of civilazation.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

love
nick

Choice adds to the appeal

Hello folks, I'm a rec climber new to the board. I climb with an arborist friend once in awhile. A couple of days ago we hiked into some woods with a particular old red oak in mind. Once we got to the tree we agreed that it had great structure for climbing. But... a large area surrounding the tree was thick with poison ivy and some of the vines were going up the trunk. With regret we decided not to climb the oak and located a nice red maple instead. My friend noted that a major difference between rec and work climbing is that in rec you choose which tree to climb. A simple but critical difference that arborists don't take for granted. This doesn't mean that rec climbers only choose easy trees to climb, the difficult ones are often the most rewarding. The other side of it is that rec climbers are free to pass on trees surrounded by poison ivy.
-moss

Good point moss. Every now and then while working you come across a tree that you just have to grin and bear. Rec climbing is never like that!

love
nick

Continuing on the theme of looking at rec climbing from a working climber's point of view...

When my arborist friend got into the tree I asked him "how does it feel to climb for absolutely no good reason?" he looked at me and smiled. It's tough for him to get past the work logic that he should get in and out of a tree as quickly as possible. He's starting to get it though, especially after he found a nice perch at the end of a limb walk and stretched out for a little R&R.
-moss

Chuck R said:
Dang it Chucky, how many can you do? They're not so easy and a good indication of strength to weight ratio. This would be a good survey question. Thought I was doing good but when I think of tripling some number...any number...well I might not be as tough as I thought. :cry:

Well, Chuck, I've put my summer fat on, so only about 14 now. Come winter I'll be back up to about 18. :)

Hey Moss,

If you like to rec climb you should check out the Arnold Arboretum. If you can demonstrate you know how to prune, they'd probably let you in. You'd most likely have to sign a waiver, but there's plenty of trees there that need pruning, and you could do it at your leisure. Some awesome climbing trees there, there surely is.

Chucky said:
If you like to rec climb you should check out the Arnold Arboretum. If you can demonstrate you know how to prune, they'd probably let you in. You'd most likely have to sign a waiver, but there's plenty of trees there that need pruning, and you could do it at your leisure. Some awesome climbing trees there, there surely is.

I live a block from the Arboretum, they certainly have some fine trees in there. I've been climbing everywhere but there. It's strictly prohibited as it is on all city of Boston park lands. In general there are tremendous trees throughout all the parks in my area. Unfortunately climbs have to be ninja until I can figure out a way to get permission. Your suggestion is a good one, I've been talking to some Arbo employees, let's see if I can get somewhere with it.

Typically I climb in woods 20 minutes south of my location, the trees are tall and there's no one to bother me:
Climbing on woods red oak
-moss

Old growth recreational tree climbing

This photo of the 27' dbh 'Bull Buck' sequoiadendron tells what the appeal of climbing out west is all about.

moss

i don't know how true this is but i heard some where in mass there is a stand of tree's that have the kings mark on them. they were marked for ship mast's but never removed because of terrain. have you ever heard of this? any idea wher they are?

Oxman said:
This photo of the 27' dbh 'Bull Buck' sequoiadendron tells what the appeal of climbing out west is all about.

when i first read it........i thought it said 27inch....big woop. but 27feet. now thats a tree, nice pic.

Back