What is the attraction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kf_tree said:
moss

i don't know how true this is but i heard some where in mass there is a stand of tree's that have the kings mark on them. they were marked for ship mast's but never removed because of terrain. have you ever heard of this? any idea wher they are?

I've heard of the practice of marking the biggest and best white pines as the king's property, hadn't heard that any were still standing.

Here's Bob Leverett's list of the biggest trees in Massachusetts, most of the champions are in one area favorable for the big ones:
http://www.massforesters.org/bigtrees.htm
-moss

ox1.jpg

Believe it or not, but this tree is at 6,500' elevation. The Sierra mountains in the neighborhood of Nelder Grove are not that steep, compared to the Coastal Range of California.

The point of discussing the steepness of the grove is that the tail of the rope on the uphill side of a tree is much higher than the downhill side. This slope can require up to a hundred more feet of rope because the line launcher sends the projectile far downhill. Though important, economy and lightness are not as important as long length as a desireable trait of a line that must be strung through a single available gap in the canopy.

Shooting an arrow or crossbow bolt 175' straight up may only require a rope double that length, but stand well off to the side, and a 400' line becomes the minimum length of choice for many rigs. This goes for the fishing lines, and intermediate lines it takes for pulling the climb line, as well.

Tying off the dead end of a line to the trunk alone can involve quite a bit of line in itself. No skimping on anchoring to a 10-20' base. There's usually no chance of getting both legs of the climbing line isolated parallel. This means one end is tied off, and the other is hanging free, available to climb.

Impressive pics Oxman,

I thought we had some big trees here where I live, I have been in the tops of most of them, few trees here offer a view of the surrounding countryside as these do. Our trees could not even begin to compare to what you have out west. I know if I was to be fortunate enough to get into one of these giants, I would make sure I would be doubling and triple check my gear and plan every move, no room for an error in judgement that high up.

I can see the attraction these giants offer for the person wanting to climb for the pure joy of climbing. The challenge of just doing it and succeding would be a head rush, to a tree climber it would be a sense of accomplishment that would equal getting to the top of Everest for a mountain climber, only there would be no snow or cold to deal with.

I have never been to California, it seems like a state that has alot to offer.

Larry

Oxman,

After reviewing the pics with amazement on the gigantic dimensions of this tree and trying to imagine the immense complexity of taking on this type of climb, I have a trite question about the backpack. Not to mention, this steers the thread off the topic a bit - sorry.

I make it a practice to always haul a small day pack, because of the added supplies that it carries. Most of my climbs don't need one, but its hauled for practice. Do you find that's there exists critical weight where the pack has to be dangled beneath the climber to prevent being pulled backwards?

As a quick observation, it seems that pics of tree climbers show packs being worn. Cavers dangle their packs on separate line. I imagine that we simply haul less weight. I dangle my pack for the purpose of building the habit for more extreme climbs. If this provokes in depth feedback, please feel free to start a new thread on it.

Moss,

You also post great pics. Keep them coming. I enjoy my personal tree top views of the landscape, the texture of bark, and lichens surrounded by moss. Your photos capture that sensation for me. Your canopy shots from the tree base are spectacular.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Last edited:
One way to handle extra weight during the ascent is to use the mechanical advantage of the Petzl Pompe. The unit has a pulley bolted onto the two holes on the back of the Ascension. Another pulley is attached to the foot stirrup.

Some folks hang the pack from a lanyard hooked in the lower hole on the lower ascender.

Except when footlocking, of course. Here's Dan Kraus footlocking with an upper Mar-Bar ascender in the July Creek Sitka Spruce on Lake Quinault.
krausquinault2.jpg

JimK said:
...why does that name, Dan Kraus, ring a bell....???.....

Last weekend I got to spend time at the Tree Climbing Rendezvous. There were about 60 people gathered in SW Oregon for some fun climbs.

On Friday I lead a climb up a Douglas Fir. Scott Baker was second. After I got above the top of the first rope I started to climb with double lanyards. After a while I heard Scott talking with someone. It turned out to be Dan Kraus. The three of us met at the top of the tree about 150 feet up. We chatted for over an hour and then went down for dinner.

On Sunday night six of us spent the night in a Sugar Pine at about 160'up. Wayyyy cool.

Nick from Wisconsin had the top bunk in the tree.

Tobe Sherrill brought along a couple of copies of the brand new Recreational Tree Climbing catalog.

My attraction to rec. climbing.

My attraction to rec. tree climbing? I terrorized my parents as a child by disappearing into the treetops. I graduated to rock climbing as a young man (I went to a rock climbing school In Estes Park, Colorado). For me it was a passion to climb and take risks (in a controlled fashion). Tree work was an accident for me. At the right place at the right time (Dallas ice storm 1978). Five years later I started the TCI rec. tree climbing school- again by accident (too many requests from tree work clients to take them up). My attraction now is to see people empowered by tree climbing (teaching) and taking part in shaping a new outdoor activity, from the ground up so to speak.

I have found tree climbers to be a different breed; strong intelligent people with little or no ego inflation. In other words, folks that really enjoy sharing their experiences with interested new climbers, be they children, middle aged folks, or elders who once loved climbing as children and thought they were all washed up as far as tree climbing.

I’ve found climbing with others a fabulous social activity. Now that is a new idea for hard working arborists. A social activity. But think of monkeys. They are quite social as a community high in the treetops. No doubt it was so with humans as well when the treetops were safe haven in primitive days. There is a kind of bonding while aloft with others during a climb. It is a world away from performance pressure of job related climbing.

Why do I rec climb? Could it be that it is the only way my wife will let me quench my rope fetish? :angel:

Chucky said:
Plus I find it's pretty cool (at 47 years old) to walk into the gym and double, or even triple, the number of pullups the big young studs can do. :p

I got ya there Chucky. I have quadrupled what some folks can do, ...five times on a good day.

(Assumes folks are doing 1 pull-up only)

Expanding Adventure Throughout Life

Following up on a comment by Peter Jenkins
...(Tree climbers are)... folks that really enjoy sharing their experiences with interested new climbers, be they children, middle aged folks, or elders who once loved climbing as children and thought they were all washed up as far as tree climbing.

I was taught how to climb by a tree crew in 1980. This was without a single carabiner, no prussiks or lanyard. It was a friction hitch on a rope. I was operating a chain saw at 60' for $3.24 an hour. Now at the age of 45, I find myself returning to climbing for recreation. I don't sit in front of a TV watching people act out adventures. I'm outside and more active than ever. Safety is first. Expanding adventure is second.

Because I peruse the RTC forums, I've taken note that prominent contributors like Peter Jenkins and Tom Dunlap are in fact over the age of 38. There's a wonderful message in this. Life can continue to unfold in adventure.

Why not climb a tree and see life from a different perspective - at any age.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees.

gumneck said:
I got ya there Chucky. I have quadrupled what some folks can do, ...five times on a good day.

(Assumes folks are doing 1 pull-up only)

Ha! Gumneck, that's not bad 'tall. Consider the majority of people can't do even manage one pullup. And amazingly, there are even those who can bench press 5, 6, even 700 pounds, and squat 1,000 pounds, yet who can barely muster a single pullup. Read paragraph 2 of the following:

How to Move Mountains

For a really long time I wanted to climb some of the big fir trees around here. It seemed a shame that I could only appreciate them from below. So I looked into getting some gear, but man was it expensive, so I had to wait a while. I eventually met a guy who told me how we could make some money cutting trees if I would put in for some climbing gear. So, I coughed up some cash I'de been saving from some cutting jobs and bought all the essentials and made my money back real quick on a few tree jobs. It took a while to get the hang of climbing, and I quickly realized that I wouldnt be heading up any 10ft thick fir trees anytime soon, unless I had some inclination to kill myself. Turns out it takes a little more than beginner skill. That was a couple years ago and I been working on my skills to climb some of the big stuff. Climbing is just fun. You can swing around and get a good look at things. But another thing I found out the hard way was that climbing trees alone is real dumb, and no one wants to climb trees. So it's tricky to work out good climbs. I'll post a picture of a tree I went to climb in Tillamook, Oregon with my wife. Well, thing looked smaller on the map, cuz when I got there, I found a 16ft thick, 250ft tall sitka spruce with the first limb higher than all my rope. It was worth the drive just to see it though. By the way, I'm standing on some burl about 5 feet up! Later I'll try to post some pictures of other tree's I climbed (or tried anyway!)

That's a big daggone spuce! We just don't have 'em liek that in the SOutheast. i have to get out West someday to see trees like that....

Back