What Is The Best Manual Log Lifter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of cutting by myself...and I've been looking at various log lifters with heavy duty handles.
I've also been looking at some lightweight chain attached log skidders to pull logs out of the woods or out of the rough spots.
These would seemingly help my back & workload tremendously...here's what I'm considering: Timber Jack Log Jack Tool, Koch Log Jack, Columbus McKinnon 06238 Log Jack,
Peavey Mfg 3-1/2' Timberjack, and the Timber Tuff TMB-65 Fiberglass Handled Timberjack.

Share with me your pro's & cons on these tools...and your experience as well.:chop:

Thanks
REG

Stihl sells a nice one, but it's about thrice as much as those. I've never used a log lift, but I bought one at Tsc last week to see if I like it. If I do, I'll probably grab a stihl one for next season.

I bought a crappy Chinese timber jack from tsc last year. I should have known better then to buy that crap. From what I've seen the timber jack makes a good one

I bought the Timberjack a couple of years ago. It's given me good service and I've used it pretty hard.

Stihl sells a nice one, but it's about thrice as much as those. I've never used a log lift, but I bought one at Tsc last week to see if I like it. If I do, I'll probably grab a stihl one for next season.

Stihl Orange paint is quite expensive. Must come from Germany :)

In it's natural Blue paint, they're not as expensive, though probably more than the tools Reggie's looking at. I have the Peavy w/log stand. They're made about 40 miles west of me and I bought mine from the owner of the company :)

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/Peaveys
(Log stand is under Other Tools)

In it's natural Blue paint, they're not as expensive, though probably more than the tools Reggie's looking at. I have the Peavy w/log stand. They're made about 40 miles west of me and I bought mine from the owner of the company :)

Here is something kinda nifty...don't know about the "practicality" part...o_O
http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Articles/LogLift.asp

Around here, national chain hardware stores don't carry them, but some local hardware stores will have them. Also, farm stores like Tractor Supply always seem have them in stock. Chainsaw dealers sell them but don't always have them in stock in my area. Bear in mind that there are a lot of wood burners in my area.

If you have any Northern Tool stores in your area, they may have their 4' fiberglass timberjack in stock. I like mine, but unfortunately they removed it from their website within the past 10 days.

If you're in doubt, you can't go wrong with Logrite's quality (or the Stihl branded model).

The Stihl Peaveys and Hookaroons are just repainted LogRites. I have the LogRite Peavey with the optional log stand. I paid about ~$130.00ish at my local saw shop, but I needed it and he had it in stock. It has proved to be one of my best purchases yet. Absolutely bombproof construction and very easy to use. I plan on handing it down to my kids eventually. I was so impressed with the quality that I purchased a matching Hookaroon when Baileys was having a sale recently. If you prefer a wooden handle model, the Dixie Industries models look top notch as well.

Hey Dalmatian,

"You know the Germans make good stuff, right?". -Vince for sham-wow.

I just bought a 60" logrite with the jack and love it. I'd been pulling around on logs too long. I can't say its better than the others but the quality is there. I'd say it would be hard to beat.

I bought a crappy Chinese timber jack from tsc last year. I should have known better then to buy that crap. From what I've seen the timber jack makes a good one
Oops typo I meant to saw woodchuck not timber jack

Tell ya what this rascal right here looks pretty darn stout!! :chainsaw:
60" Xtreme Duty Peavey

A 10/12 foot limb 2" or more in diameter and a 6/10 inch diameter round as a fulcrum. Use another smaller limb to push another round under the raised log while holding the end of the lever limb down with your foot. If you want it higher just take another bite with a bigger fulcrum.

I have the woodchuck and logrite log jacks. I think log jacks are overrated. It seems you only get 2-3 cuts then you have to reposition the jack, 1-2 cuts, reposition jack, repeat. Just cut the log 2/3 down, roll it over, finish your cuts. For big logs I use the log rite cant hook to turn 'em.

When cutting downward & you break through the log the saw has a natural tendency to continue downwards and alas - find the ground. To prevent this tragedy, I have found by cutting with the top of the bar I can get the tip close to the ground & as I cut away from me the tip will stay away from the ground as it arcs upward. Unless the wood has settled into the ground I can generally cut all the way through the log. If it has settled into the ground then I just cut down close to the ground & as Hinerman said, roll the uncut portion up to finish the cut. If I am not able to cut that 1/8 - 1/4" of bark by the ground when using an up cut, who cares. The round will come apart easily. On larger logs I will cut most of the way from the top then cut upwards.

If you decide to start cutting upwards, make sure you do not let the "kick back" portion of the tip be the first portion of the bar to make contact.

This said I do have a log jack available for helpers who may not be quite as skilled or confident with a saw & I also have a cant hook with a 54" handle for the times I need one.

I am rough on AV springs because of all the up cutting I do. One of the reasons I like my Stihl 08-S - no AV springs to tear up. So far my Jonsered CS 2139T & Husqvarna 338XPT, they have held up well so far. :rolleyes:

Cant hooks are on sale at Northern this weekend. I don't really need one that picks up the logs, I just need help rolling them over sometimes. The problem I'm seeing is that most of the cant hooks are rated for a 12" and 16" log. I dont need help with the baby logs, I need help with the 24" to 36" logs. Will these smaller cant hooks dig into a bigger log, or would I be wasting my money?

I have the woodchuck and logrite log jacks. I think log jacks are overrated. It seems you only get 2-3 cuts then you have to reposition the jack, 1-2 cuts, reposition jack, repeat. Just cut the log 2/3 down, roll it over, finish your cuts. For big logs I use the log rite cant hook to turn 'em.
Agreed. I only use the can't hook on the Woodchuck.

Back