What Is The Best Manual Log Lifter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sledge hammer in small rounds with a slanty wedge cut on one side. Takes 5 to 10 seconds tops, nice clean cut then. Log doesn't have to be up much at all to get a no pinch cut. that and a plastic wedge at the top for larger logs. Put them right where you want your bucking cut to go, or close to it on the still heavy remaining side. I like right there though, makes it easier to knock them out and move them up the log if needed.

Unless the ground is complete soup, you'll get enough lift to make bucking easy, and no need to try and roll huge logs that way. Smaller ones, sure, cut down 3/4ths, roll and finish, but larger ones, I find the small round lift wedge technique to be the easiest/cheapest/fastest..

If you are dragging, perhaps drag to a slight uphill area, then roll down over some logs laid out to act as supports.
still not understanding this technique? to cut big logs with the wedge method you describe? any help to help me understand what i think your saying?

still not understanding this technique? to cut big logs with the wedge method you describe? any help to help me understand what i think your saying?

OK, say you got a big tree on the ground. Well fiorst, you can cut junk logs nearby and lay them out for the eventual big tree main stem to land on.

OK2, either way, say you have the main stem on the ground. In the smaller branch wood while bucking that, cut off with slanty cuts, like at a 45. Then go your regular cut size and do a regular 90. Now you have a round which is flat on one side to hit with the sledge, the other side is beveled at an angle to help get it started under the main log. Stick it where you want it and wail away.

Procedure to get lift wedges two at a time:

Cut square, then one slanty cut, then cut square going down an appropriate sized branch, gives you two wedges. Repeat as necessary to get you all the wedges you want, and you can start with around a 3-4inch one, go bigger if necessary, but they get harder to hammer in. You can make the slanty cut side longer and a sharper angle if needed over a 45 of course.

I----/----I See?

OK, say you got a big tree on the ground. Well fiorst, you can cut junk logs nearby and lay them out for the eventual big tree main stem to land on.

OK2, either way, say you have the main stem on the ground. In the smaller branch wood while bucking that, cut off with slanty cuts, like at a 45. Then go your regular cut size and do a regular 90. Now you have a round which is flat on one side to hit with the sledge, the other side is beveled at an angle to help get it started under the main log. Stick it where you want it and wail away.

Procedure to get lift wedges two at a time:

Cut square, then one slanty cut, then cut square going down an appropriate sized branch, gives you two wedges. Repeat as necessary to get you all the wedges you want, and you can start with around a 3-4inch one, go bigger if necessary, but they get harder to hammer in. You can make the slanty cut side longer and a sharper angle if needed over a 45 of course.

I----/----I See?
lol.....i must be stupid,still not understanding it in my head sorry........thanks anyway you tried

lol.....i must be stupid,still not understanding it in my head sorry........thanks anyway you tried

Normal small log you wouldn't split, say 3-4-5 inches diameter. One end is cut at an angle so it is wedge shaped. That end goes under the big log, the flat end you hit with the sledge hammer. As you whack it, it gradually goes under and lifts the log, giving you clearance to cut, plus relieving tension if you cut right down the middle to that lifter wedge round.

Normal small log you wouldn't split, say 3-4-5 inches diameter. One end is cut at an angle so it is wedge shaped. That end goes under the big log, the flat end you hit with the sledge hammer. As you whack it, it gradually goes under and lifts the log, giving you clearance to cut, plus relieving tension if you cut right down the middle to that lifter wedge round.
i was thinking that but wasnt sure,i such idiot,thank you for your patients.....i got it.....cool idea!

Stihl Orange paint is quite expensive. Must come from Germany :)

In it's natural Blue paint, they're not as expensive, though probably more than the tools Reggie's looking at. I have the Peavy w/log stand. They're made about 40 miles west of me and I bought mine from the owner of the company :)

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/Peaveys
(Log stand is under Other Tools)
The stihl is just about the same price as the logrite. It's just a private labeled logrite.

A cant hook is so simple to make I would only buy one if the price was less than I make in a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back