What is the best style stove, EPA, CAT, down drafter, one with a grate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Modell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two old stoves and a house with air leaks, bad windows, and a new addition without insulation yet. I have been reading on the other sight how great these modern stoves are, but there are a few here that do not agree. Our main stove that we have been burning for over twenty five years is a Earth stove without grates works great. Spider please make a comment on no grates air on top no problems with wet green wood. Our new stove is a Riteway furnace that is a hybrid down drafter with grates makes lots of coals. We have only been burning it for few weeks and have a lot to learn about it. WE did burn a smaller Riteway for over ten years.

Guessing this thread's gonna be "Interesting"

Today, tomorrow, or Tuesday, you won't hear many OWB guys chiming in (at least from this area) - the dog don't even want to go outside today.

Honestly, if I could make my own pellets for a reasonable cost, a pellet stove would be ideal. Automated handling, large storage quantity, stove is fed what it needs, as it needs it.

There are PTO powered pellet mills out there, but they ain't cheap, or economical - it takes a lot of fuel to run em.

Comment??
I don't even know what an "Earth" stove is...

As far as what "stove" is best... well, heck man, that ain't gonna' stir any pots... everyone on this board knows exactly what I'm gonna' say... and none of them were built after 1988‼
The Earth stove we have dose not have a grate in it we bought used in the 70"s or early 80's. The wood burns on the coals, air comes in from the back. The interesting thing is the stove has less problems with coal build up then lots of other designs.

I thought Iwanted an EPA secondary burn stove, but reading all the trouble the uptown guys are having on the wood stove sight and some of the comments here I am reconsidering.

I am a month or so into using a new Blaze king Princess cat stove and I have to say its been more than a pleasure. super long burn times on lower heat, have had a couple of 20 hour burns when we were away overnight, typically we load it twice a day and forget it.
Temps right now are around the freezing mark out and the stove is running hotter and boy it sure can throw the heat when you want it...
I dont know how it gets better than this for a wood stove indoors.... Unless it had a small water heater attached... another thread though

I am a month or so into using a new Blaze king Princess cat stove and I have to say its been more than a pleasure. super long burn times on lower heat, have had a couple of 20 hour burns when we were away overnight, typically we load it twice a day and forget it.
Temps right now are around the freezing mark out and the stove is running hotter and boy it sure can throw the heat when you want it...
I dont know how it gets better than this for a wood stove indoors.... Unless it had a small water heater attached... another thread though
It does seem like the cat people are for the most part satisfied with their stoves.

There is No Perfect Stove!

Every one is a trade off of some sort.

I'm pleased with the Jotul 118CB after 6 years, but it has it's quirks. It is much better than the VC Resolute Acclaim we had before it though.

This Jotul is a non-cat old style cast iron box stove with secondary air tubes. Lately I run it like an old school air tight and have the secondary air cut off. I get longer burn times and more than enough heat.

There is No Perfect Stove!

Every one is a trade off of some sort.

I'm pleased with the Jotul 118CB after 6 years, but it has it's quirks. It is much better than the VC Resolute Acclaim we had before it though.

This Jotul is a non-cat old style cast iron box stove with secondary air tubes. Lately I run it like an old school air tight and have the secondary air cut off. I get longer burn times and more than enough heat.
I respect your opinion a lot, you are in my neighbourhood and have a similar circumstance. I have been afraid of a cast stove for fear of warping, breakage and maintenance on all the gaskets. By the way you influenced me to buy a 550 and it rocks. I have not owned a small fire wood saw for over thirty years , when I traded my brand new 026 for a husky.

I respect your opinion a lot, you are in my neighbourhood and have a similar circumstance. I have been afraid of a cast stove for fear of warping, breakage and maintenance on all the gaskets. By the way you influenced me to buy a 550 and it rocks. I have not owned a small fire wood saw for over thirty years , when I traded my brand new 026 for a husky.
Yes, you got a great saw! :D

Don't be afraid of a cast stove, they are not likely to warp like steel can. Heating with wood in cast stoves since 1980 and never had a warp. Also have had three cast stoves with glass windows and never had a glass crack, or break. Gaskets? Not a problem here!

I've had 4 cast stoves since moving to Mo in 1990. The first (Waterford) got replaced after 7 years because it was too small. It's been heating part of my shop full time for the last 14 years and is still fine, fantastic stove! Have another older cast stove heating the large part of the shop. It's just a cheap large imported box stove, been in use for 24 years. Both are cranking out the heat right now, plus the Jotul in the house...:)

The Jotul we have in the house now is almost too big for our 1200 sq feet. But it's very nice when real cold. Super easy stove to operate!

I'll probably never own anything but a cast iron stove, w/glass, but that's just me...

Yes, you got a great saw! :D

Don't be afraid of a cast stove, they are not likely to warp like steel can. Heating with wood in cast stoves since 1980 and never had a warp. Also have had three cast stoves with glass windows and never had a glass crack, or break. Gaskets? Not a problem here!

I've had 4 cast stoves since moving to Mo in 1990. The first (Waterford) got replaced after 7 years because it was too small. It's been heating part of my shop full time for the last 14 years and is still fine, fantastic stove! Have another older cast stove heating the large part of the shop. It's just a cheap large imported box stove, been in use for 24 years. Both are cranking out the heat right now, plus the Jotul in the house...:)

The Jotul we have in the house now is almost too big for our 1200 sq feet. But it's very nice when real cold. Super easy stove to operate!

I'll probably never own anything but a cast iron stove, w/glass, but that's just me...
Are the Joutul's secondary burn or cat? I do not know why but I thought the cast stoves were high maintenance.I always thought I wanted a Buck, but the local dealer recommended a Jotul

Eric Modell,
"Criticism" ain't equal to "dislike"... it ain't even in the same ballpark.
People who love each other dearly will still criticise each other when situations warrant it.
If'n your feelings get injured that easily... internet message boards ain't the place for you.
I guess you like me and are just critical of my ways. We have lots of wood close just short on time. We find ourselves out of seasoned wood by Christmas and try to stay a month or so ahead.

I'm mixed on my P.E. non-cat stove. It is fairly efficient, and puts off good heat, but it's size is deceiving. P.E. basically manufactures 3 box sizes. After that the boxes are wrapped in different clothing (wrappers) to make up the different models. It is a good-sized stove, but the box (IMO) is a lot smaller than the exterior size would lead you to believe. When it's running at temp, you only see heat waves coming out of the chimney. It will NOT tolerate un- or under-seasoned wood. when closed down for better heting, It doesn't draft enough for Hedge and the coals build up and smother in the back easily if you don't continually re-arrange the coal bed. It has saved a ton on my propane, along with a new CH/A and some insulation. I replace the door gasket every year as it goes out like clock work and the "door wash" grate warped quickly but it's only cosmetic. The rest of the stove is holding up well. When it's loaded fresh and gets up to temp it puts out good heat The fluctuations are much faster and more noticeable than a Cat or pre-epa stove though as the burn-time is a lot less than a Cat and the coals don't provide near the heat output of the pre-epa models. I could be wrong, but I'd say of total output, the break-down is like this: 1/3 of the heat is from the coal bed, 1/3 from the active fire and 1/3 from the secondary-burn. If the wood is of lower heat value then the ratios index to the left 1/2, 1/4 and 1/4 respectively. When it's just coals you lose anywhere from 1/2-2/3 of your heat and it's definitely noticeable. My friends VC Defiant for comparison's sake, gets another 1-4 hours per load as compared to mine fed the same wood, (with soft wood lasting less time than hard of course).

I'm not saying I don't like the stove as it's been much more efficient than many. However, having to remove buckets of live coals, to create room for logs to reclaim 50-66% of my heat (and carrying that fire hazard through my house to get it outside) really annoys me. I may replace it at sometime with a VC Defiant or one of the larger Jotuls. I would also do an older Buck or similar smoke dragon in a heart beat. Hell I'd almost consider a barrel stove, if not for my babies. If you're willing to work within it's design constraints, it works VERY well. I just don't feed it wet wood and I have better luck when mixing Hedge with a softer wood like Silver Maple or Hackleberry to add a bit of oxygen to the fire.

Our old Riteway had a water heater. The think I was most disappointed with the Earth Stove was it did not lend well to a water heater.

Back