What is the best way to attack this walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstemm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My buddy had a sizable walnut felled and I offered to mill it for him. I am used to milling whatever I find laying around, but since this isn't for me, any thoughts on a good approach here? Log is about a dozen feet long and 35" across the center. I am looking to find the best first cut and send it from there. I'm running a csm to cut it and he is looking for live edge boards.
359e86bf02d40494ed7b8936ab1ef44e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd like to see the butt end too, but with that not in consideration, I would start on the left side. Meaning, looking at the photo, the left side of the log, the side that is vertical, I'd make my first cut there. The reasons are;
- Looks like the flattest/ straightest part of the log
- You will get some nice wood cutting thru the Y that way
- You could say the log has two Y's and the one you will be cutting thru first looks to be the better of the two.
- It really looks to me as though there willl be some significant bark inclusions just below the first Y you will cut thru (if you start with the left side). I'd want those inclusions kept in the pith cut if possible and I think there is a shot of doing that if you start the way I'm suggesting. If it's not possible to include the pith cut in with the bark inclusion area, at least the bark inclusion area will be in mostly one cut, not in all of your cuts if you start 90 degrees from the way I'm suggesting.

Do you have any other pics?

Is there a crack at the other end?
Is it parallel to the inclusion we see in the “crown” ?

If I understand him correctly....I agree with Bmac....
I think you would want to roll that pup to cut parallel to that inclusion ....put that left side in photo up. (The two larger diameter legs of the crown)
Use the inclusion as the center point when setting up the first cut to stay parallel to pith at other end.
I would bet that inclusion runs down quite a ways But,... you’ll get a number of clear planks before you reach the Crack area and then more on the other side.

Take some pics and post them up as you go :)

I should have grabbed a few more pictures. I'll try and go get a few more here this week. I appreciate the insight here and thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back