What is the preferred length for a flip line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm gonna make an order with treestuff this week and want to try a wire core flip line. Now my dilemma is over what length to order, 8 ft. or 10 ft. What is the preferred length of most arborists? I'm new to the climbing scene and have only done some light pruning so far.

I want the wire core for removals, especially ones that require blocking down the trunk. I'm gonna order a regular adjustable flip line for other work.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Well, I saw your post and thought I would give you my ideas. I like to use wire core fliplines in 10 ft and 12 ft. If you get a longer flipline you can use it as a 2in1 system. I have been trying the 1/2 inch wire core with a prusik line with alum. clip. (sold by tree stuff) You have enough line left over to reach around and clip past limbs as you pass them. That way you are never uncliped to the tree. A nice feature of a 12 foot line is that it can be double wraped around a medum size trunk for extra security. I would get a 12 ft. line if it were me.

Well, I saw your post and thought I would give you my ideas. I like to use wire core fliplines in 10 ft and 12 ft. If you get a longer flipline you can use it as a 2in1 system. I have been trying the 1/2 inch wire core with a prusik line with alum. clip. (sold by tree stuff) You have enough line left over to reach around and clip past limbs as you pass them. That way you are never uncliped to the tree. A nice feature of a 12 foot line is that it can be double wraped around a medum size trunk for extra security. I would get a 12 ft. line if it were me.

Thanks for the reply. The wire core with swivel snaps I posted about is now unavailable. So I'm gonna wait it out and try one down the road. I did come across a few adjustable flip lines locally, so I'm set there. I did find a 10 ft. flip line with a prusik line locally also, so I'm thinking about buying that too.

banhim.gif

Back