What is the real speed penalty with "safety" chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want a quantitative answer.

And I just want quantitative information. What safety chain vs what non safety chain (rmc3 vs a custom done Redprospector race chain?). What size saw? Is it tuned right? What type of wood?

I don't want to hear that my choice is correct for everbody, I just want a quantitative answer. What's the speed penalty? I'm trying to decide what "my choice" actually is...

Wait, dont buy a new chain, Im not dead yet:confused:

Well if you dont cut anymore than the use of one chain in my lifetime, why are you worried about speed over safety?:monkey:

Since when did the amount of cutting you do regulate your interest in cutting speed...? :greenchainsaw:

And, at present, I have five chains for my little Stihl! :cry:

And I just want quantitative information. What safety chain vs what non safety chain (rmc3 vs a custom done Redprospector race chain?). What size saw? Is it tuned right? What type of wood?

A good experiemnt would be:

Stihl RSC vs. Stihl RSC3... on a stock good-running MS361 with a 20" bar cutting dry 18" oak...

Really, a fair experiment just needs to be a properly functioning saw in reasonable-sized wood with two equivalent new chains.

I'm still running the original safety chain my saw came with but it's about due for a new one. (my britches are mint flavored :D) I was given an extra chain by the dealer but was disappointed to realize it's also green. I'll prolly buy a new chain this spring and keep my freebie greenie as a spare, maybe I'll run it against the new chain once for comparisons sake. If we're all still around I'll report my findings later this year. :dizzy:

Last edited:
I had some guard link 44DL 3/8"LP chain given to me. I decided to give it to a mate who has a citrus orchard to use it on his 200T pruning saw. After using both types of chain he threw the guard link in the bin, ran it over with his tractor, doused it in petrol and then caught it alight. He reckons it cut that poorly that he never wants to see it again. Just a thought...
I know you should never get to cocky but I've never been concerned with kickback. I know it can happen but I believe that if using a chainsaw properly and not being stupid the likelihood of wearing a bar in the face at full tilt is pretty slim. You're more likely to cut your leg off.
How many people reading this have ever had bad enough kickback to wear one in the head/helmet? Honest question as I'd like to know for my interest.

Last edited:
Kickback

I had some guard link 44DL 3/8"LP chain given to me. I decided to give it to a mate who has a citrus orchard to use it on his 200T pruning saw. After using both types of chain he threw the guard link in the bin, ran it over with his tractor, doused it in petrol and then caught it alight. He reckons it cut that poorly that he never wants to see it again. Just a thought...
I know you should never get to cocky but I've never been concerned with kickback. I know it can happen but I believe that if using a chainsaw properly and not being stupid the likelihood of wearing a bar in the face at full tilt is pretty slim. You're more likely to cut your leg off.
How many people reading this have ever had bad enough kickback to wear one in the head/helmet? Honest question as I'd like to know for my interest.

I have never had one come back anywhere near that far.

Safety Chain??

I switched from Oregon 72LP to 33RSC and to me, the saws now cut faster.

However, I would not want either of my adult sons to run one of my saws with this chain because they do not have enough experience, and most likely never will. They don't cut wood.

The safety chain - or whatever the hell it is-- that came on my 5100 SUCKS!! My first time out with it I thought I must have dulled it after only a few cuts. I changed to my usual straight SC and finished out a good day of cutting. Yesterday, I started to cut with my Dolmar (first time since last year) and noticed the freshly sharpened chain was throwing very pathetic looking chips and a lot of dust. I looked closely at it and realized it was the chain that came on the Dolmar-- at home I had tried to modify the rakers and resharpen. Still sucks like a black hole. Maybe noobs should use a safety chain. After 30+ years of running saw- all I can say is -- you can have safety chain. BTW- it's my understanding that safety chain can also kick you in the teeth. Call me if that happens, I'm easy, but I'm not cheap. I haven't had a brewski since last year; after wood cutting yesterday, I almost caved in. SN ESB will probably make my knees buckle. If I seem to be rambling that's because my wife just gave me an espresso and I'm jammin' on the keyboard. Think I'll grab my geetar. Later.

I wonder how much slower safety chain really is. I can't find a good actual comparison out there anywhere. I'm surprised someone who likes to post videos of cookie-cutting hasn't done a green vs. yellow faceoff...
I think if you limited your original post as above, and left out the opinion part, you might not have got such opinionated replies. Live and learn.
I will try to do a comparison, like I said.

Back