What is the real speed penalty with "safety" chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and just FYI:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/sections/preamble/chainbrakes_preamble.html

Although the low-kickback chain can reduce kickback energy by 40 to 90 percent, there are drawbacks to its use, according to the CPSC report. These drawbacks include: (1) New technology chains generally exhibit some loss in cutting efficiency (speed and ease of cutting), (2) these chains make cutting more tiring for the operator thereby causing more operator fatigue, and (3) the loss of cutting efficiency may adversely affect the life of the chain. The loss of cutting efficiency has been estimated to be anywhere from a 10 to 25 percent. OSHA has no estimates of the increase in operator fatigue and the degradation in the service life of the chain.

I don't know when this was written... 1995?
You all do what you want, I'm gonna unsubscribe to this thread.

Safety chain DOES drag, it's harsh and inefficient, you use heaps more energy, you're having to apply pressure just to cut, it's a total no-brainer. Comments like "There's little difference between safety and non-safety chain in the cut" or "The cutting speed difference is negligible" are greenhorn opinions

Given how we must now assume these volunteers are experienced... I must also assume they're sorely disappointed with your choice in chains.

Back