What is the third best brand after Husky and Stihl ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check the calendar..it done hit the 21st century and stuff. Dealers? You mean the guys who charge near 100% markup on all the parts you might need, those guys, and even then they never have half the stuff in stock and have to order it? I buy truck stuff, farm equipment stuff and small engine stuff..bulk of it today I get online. easier shopping, better selection, more choices, delivered to my door, and usually loads cheaper.

We gots that internet thinggee today, if stuff has to be ordered..eliminate the middleman. Ain't hardly a durn thing you can't get off the net today. Are "dealers" really all that necessary anymore? Or put it this way, haven't we shifted to online dealers more than some local people.

A lot of us live where there aren't a lot of dealers for this or that, or it is a long drive with fuel over three clams a gallon now and going up. Time/expense/hassle, go drop 6 bucks fuel plus wear and tear on your ride plus an hour and a half time to go buy a ten or 20 buck part? Or order online and get it in a few days delivered? Adds up over the year the more you can eliminate all that driving and paying big markups.

And sometimes the "dealers" don't even know what they have access to. Example: I wanted a super splitter. I could have ordered it online and had it delivered, but instead I stopped my local ACE independent and asked him to order it through his channels. told him I would give him some feedback on the purchase. He had never heard of them, but I got my axe. Loved it, went back, told him it was outstanding, he should stock a few, they would sell. So, every time I go back there..same tired old mexican no carbon steel mauls with a kinda sorta edge like experience on them..no fiskars. He didn't care, he didn't care about customer feedback or maybe making a better quality sale to other people.

Dealers are highly overrated for most purposes anymore. Real useful in the pre internet days, as in last century. Times change. Labor, hire the dealers to do your mechanical work? At 60-80 bucks an hour? DO. NOT. WANT. Even if it is some job I never did before, for that sorta loot...I'll muddle through somehow, put the cash towards any specialty tools instead..ordered online.

long post!
I kinda agree with you; I went asking about Husky 359 and the dealer had only two saws: 353 and 240; He tried to sell me the 353 as being better. I know; unbelievable.
however, some dealers buying bulks, get discount and that can be alot; thus you might get a product from a dealer from the same price they advertise on the internet. thus avoiding any mistakes knowing what you buy.

And on that basis I'd say Echo would probably be the #3 selling premium saw brand. I'm not sure what the point or focus of this thread really is.

Not sure what is considered a "premium saw" and where one cuts it off.. but Echo is not ahead of Jonsered, which is really very close to Stihl and Husqvarna (and some may say equal :) ).

Now if you are counting number of saws sold, then I can not comment.. but if on actual user experience then I can.

And it is not ahead of Dolmar either.. Those 4 are in the top 4 performance wise, and Echo is running a distance behind. We had a 340T as an example, sold it, but it was about the same as a 192T powerwise. Good warranty, we have good dealer support (not as good as Stihl .. but good). But as an actual powerhouse not quite there yet IMHO.

Husqvarna and Stihl may be the best selling "brands".

"That's all I'm going to say about that"

Not sure what is considered a "premium saw" and where one cuts it off.. but Echo is not ahead of Jonsered, which is really very close to Stihl and Husqvarna (and some may say equal :) ).

Now if you are counting number of saws sold, then I can not comment.. but if on actual user experience then I can.

If You say Husky is number X, then Jonsered also has to be number X, at least when we talk modern saws, since it´s the same saws.

In terms of complete product lines, Husky is #1. They have so many models, every size and level imaginable. They have solid homeowner saws, and great pro saws. Stihl is second, as they have a great line as well. Those two are the only two that still make 100+ cc saws as well I think.

Dolmar has a couple good saws, but the line is very limited. Jonsered has more good pro saws than Dolmar. The thing that makes it tough is that the 7900 is probably the best saw out there period.

Yeah bordom can get ya now and then. I wonder how many guys out there claim one brand superior and have never ran anything else.

I would say most of the guys on this site, particularly the guys who push the Stihl bandwagon and have no other brand of saw in their sig. (I like Stihl by the way but I own Huskies, Stihls, and Dolmars).

If you are looking at chainsaw sales, per brand not per company among the premium brand saws.
1. Stihl
2. Husqvarna
3. Echo

The only place Dolmar, Jonsered, Solo, and Efco have a strong market presence is on this and on other chainsaw enthusiast websites.

I've run all of the above listed brands except Efco, I'm not commenting on quality of the products, or their dealers.
I'm just commenting on the volume of sales of each brand.

You certainly can't argue with the sales' numbers but it also pays to remember just how many models each manufacturer have on the market. Stihl seems to have about 246 saw models out at the moment (OK slight exaggeration!) so of course they're going to have the highest sales figures. Many of their saws are basically mirroring one another. They also have excellent marketing which helps...

Top 3 cars
TOYOTA
Porsche
Bmw

Last I checked on this FORD was #1 for dependability in 2010 and Toyota was #1 for recalls in 2010. So I beg to differ.

Is'nt enough porsche's and bmw's sold together to even compete.

echo the best around

echo"""these saws perform endlessly last forever and parts and dealers are everwhere. and dolmar is right there too. these are the newest kids on the block.

no brainer
sawsapril29th003.jpg

Last I checked on this FORD was #1 for dependability in 2010 and Toyota was #1 for recalls in 2010. So I beg to differ.

Is'nt enough porsche's and bmw's sold together to even compete.

You may want to look on a world scale and not just in the US.
Then look at the trouble your automotive industry has been in then check Porsche and BMW's.
A lot of people look out their back door and think that there aren't many Porsches and BMW's sold, then you look at Europe or the Middle East and start to have a bit of a rethink.

Toyota have a lot of recalls because they actually man up and admit to problems but the models we get in Australia are very, very reliable. The previous company I worked for had 7 Camrys that combined had done around 1.5 million kilometers without one problem apart from a couple of accidents :D

Last edited:
Toyota have a lot of recalls because they actually man up and admit to problems

I beg to differ on that one. Part of the issue was that Toyota did NOT reveal the issues they knew about, and were covering them up for the longest time. That was why they had so many issues, and the issues are not yet over.

While they did make a good product, and still is not bad, the head of Toyota himself admitted that their fast expansion was done the expense of quality (I saw that myself on TV).. see below for a few quotes. There are many, many more. Not saying others are perfect, but Toyota lost a lot of market share globally in 2010 for a reason.

There seems to be patterns that they are uncovering, some which go back for a decade or more.

Don't want to go on too long, and I have owned four Toyota's over the years and my wife drives a Corolla now.. but read some quotes below.

"The head of an auto industry watchdog group is saying that Toyota Motor Corporation has shown a tendency over a period of many years to delay auto product defect recalls and cover up various problems with its vehicles. According to a UPI news report, Clarence Ditlow, head of the Center for Auto Safety says Toyota has displayed "a pattern of covering up defects."

Toyota has already paid a record $16.4 million government fine for delaying recalls of millions of vehicles for sudden acceleration issues due to defective gas pedals, faulty floor mats and brakes. So far, the Japanese auto maker has recalled close to 10 million vehicles globally for these defects. "

"The AP report noted that there were some cases that went back to 2006 where technicians experienced the sudden unintended acceleration in vehicles."

"Toyota paid a record fine recently for dragging its feet on disclosing a safety defect blamed for potentially fatal unintended acceleration. Now, documents have come to light in a California lawsuit that point to possible delays involving an earlier safety issue, one that could result in loss of steering control.
Records of Toyota warranty repairs and customer complaints that are part of the lawsuit show that the car company was dealing with cracking and breaking steering relay rods in the U.S. for at least 11 years before it recalled 330,000 pickups and SUVs in Japan to replace the rods — and 12 years before its 2005 recall of nearly a million similar trucks in the U.S. for the problem."

"But various government reports and investigations show that Toyota did not issue any of these vehicle recalls right away. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) officials have uncovered and examined evidence, which shows that Toyota officials deliberately made an effort to conceal and cover up defects. In fact, one internal memo even has employees boasting about saving the company millions by fending off costly recalls. The government estimates that nearly 100 people have died over the last 10 years "

"Most recently, court papers filed in a California lawsuit show Toyota delayed issuing a recall on a problem with cracking steering relay rods by 11 years. Toyota recalled pickup trucks, 4Runner SUVs and other vehicles in Japan in 2004 to replace the steering relay rods. However, the company waited for an entire year before issuing a recall in the United States. The auto product liability lawsuit in California was filed on behalf of 18-year-old Michael Levi Stewart, who died in an accident in a Toyota compact pickup truck when he lost control of the car.
"

Back