What is the third best brand after Husky and Stihl ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of our regional small farm chains, they own three or four locations, full service farm stores and sell both Husky and Stihl, won a trip to Sweden to tour a Husky factory, I talked to the owner after his trip and was shocked that the workers don't really know what brand of saw they will built until they come in, one day it may be Huskies the next Jonsered. I was kind of surprised to hear it. With knowing that, I'd buy whatever was the cheaper of the two colors, red or orange wouldn't make any difference to me.lol I don't see why they don't consolidate the brands, drop the Jonsered saw name and spend additional monies focused on one brand if there is just minor differences in handle position. Dosen't make sense to have two organizations, sales teams, marketing all that overhead. Say it would allow the united brand to pass on a savings of 25.00-50.00 a saw to the dealer, it would be a big deal.

actually it makes a lot of sense: if you have two brands, A and B the market will be divided to A and B say x for A and y for B (x+y=100%)
if A is split in C and D the market readjust overall, say p for C and q for D
in the end, p+q is bigger then the original x. that means the C+D is bigger than the original A
therefore the y that was for B will be smaller.

in this way, the company A gains ground significantly.

I beg to differ on that one. Part of the issue was that Toyota did NOT reveal the issues they knew about, and were covering them up for the longest time. That was why they had so many issues, and the issues are not yet over.

Hmmm. Maybe we're different out here but Toyota have been quick and decisive in issuing and fixing recalls in Australia. I think in the US they may be more wary due to all of the previous lawsuits.

For total volume here are worldwide number - for 2009. Could not find 2010. (this is cars, trucks, buses, etc) Now for any of them the car number was over 90% of totals. 2010 numbers for North America would have been better for sure.

Note: there are a lot of well know cars (super performance or very expensive versions that do not even make this list).

Toyota 7,234,439
General Motors 6,459,053
Volkswagen 6,067,208
Ford 4,685,394
Hyundai Kia 4,645,776
PSA 3,042,311
Honda 3,012,637
Nissan 2,744,562
Fiat 2,460,222
Suzuki 2,387,537
Renault 2,296,009
Daimler AG 1,447,953
Chana Automobile 1,425,777
BMW 1,258,417
Mazda 984,520
Chrysler 959,070
Mitsubishi 802,463
Beijing Automotive 684,534
Tata 672,045
Dongfeng Motor 663,262
FAW 650,275
Chery 508,567
Fuji 491,352
BYD 427,732
SAIC 347,598
Anhui Jianghuai 336,979
Geely 330,275
Isuzu 316,335
Brilliance 314,189
AvtoVAZ 294,737
Great Wall 226,560
Mahindra 223,065
Shangdong Kaima 169,023
Proton 152,965
China National 120,930
Volvo 105,873
Chongqing Lifan 104,434
Fujian Motor Industry Group 103,171
Kuozui 93,303
Shannxi Auto 79,026
Porsche 75,637
Ziyang Nanjun 72,470
GAZ 69,591
Navistar 65,364
Guangzhou Auto 62,990
Paccar 58,918
Chenzhou Ji'ao 51,008
Qingling Motor 50,120
Hebei Zhongxing 48,173
Ashok Leyland 47,694

Interesting how General Motors have one heading (despite numerous vehicle names under their belt including Holden in Australia) yet Renault and Nissan are different despite Renault owning both. But this list can be a bit misleading when it includes trucks, buses etc. BMW or Porsche don't make trucks or buses yet GM and Toyota make everything. If you could narrow the list down to 2 or 4 door passenger vehicles only it would mean something.

:monkey:
actually it makes a lot of sense: if you have two brands, A and B the market will be divided to A and B say x for A and y for B (x+y=100%)
if A is split in C and D the market readjust overall, say p for C and q for D
in the end, p+q is bigger then the original x. that means the C+D is bigger than the original A
therefore the y that was for B will be smaller.

in this way, the company A gains ground significantly.

aww now ma headaches back, nice math work Count ahah har

[video=youtube;nGHF2P_USE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGHF2P_USE4[/video]

Is cool sport, n ta ya last. I was up your way pre chrissy drove over Omeo Hotham with ma son stayed at Harritville, nice time great woods. They gonna use a chopper to sort all the dead trees up the Hotham rd.
Damaged alpine trees to be removed by air - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Was only up there this Saturday gone on a bike trip. A silly mate decided to step of his Buell at Mt St Bernard.

Ya whacker, you should have dropped in.

I haven't read your link, but I will for sure. Sounds interesting.

1) Dolmar
2)Jonsered
3)Husky
4)Stihl

I'm liking the Dolmar more each time I use it.

The Dolmar 7900 is a very nice saw. However there are some gaps in its lineup.

Although Jonsered is in top 4 IMHO, I would not put it above Husqvarna or Stihl.

If going 90cc or larger, then would be the Husqvarna or Stihl IMHO.. and if 100+ cc .. well there isn't anything else out there other than Husqvarna or Stihl.

If going top handled tree worker saw.. then again is a Husqvarna or Stihl being the 338XPT or the 200T. (now Dolmar does offer one.. as does Echo, etc)

If going 50cc range.. then the 346 is a darn nice saw.. but the 361 is not too shabby either.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a saw.

IMHO neither Jonsered nor Dolmar can make it to the top for a couple of reasons..

1st -- Jonsered is owned by Husqvarna.. so not sure on that basis alone how it might be more than an equal.

2nd -- Jonsered does not offer a complete lineup of saws -- the smallest saw Jonsered themselves call a professional model on their website is the CS2165. Furthermore then offer no top handled saws that I know of, nothing larger than 85cc, etc. To be considered #1 IMHO it has to cover everything.. yes they do have some good saws but would not be able to consider them as a #1 saw company.

3rd -- Dolmar does have some good saws.. but their top handled saw but can not come close to the 200T in daily tree use - power, comfort, etc. They do not quite offer a complete lineup, stopping at 90cc. So while some good saws in their lineup, IMHO can not qualify as #1.

Note: an argument may be made that a single saw in one of the manufactures (such as the 7900) may be the #1 saw.. we could never agree on what the #1 single saw is though :) But if we are talking the #1 company then IMHO it MUST have a complete professional lineup.. top to bottom and top handled saws included. Anything else, all be it they may offer some good saws in their lineup, would put them someplace lower than #1.

2nd -- Jonsered does not offer a complete lineup of saws -- the smallest saw Jonsered themselves call a professional model on their website is the CS2165. Furthermore then offer no top handled saws that I know of, nothing larger than 85cc, etc. To be considered #1 IMHO it has to cover everything.. yes they do have some good saws but would not be able to consider them as a #1 saw company.

That is not correct, they have several smaller pro saws, like the top-handle 2139T, the 2153 and the 2156.

There also are the 88cc 2188, but there it stops, so I agree that it can't be number one!

They only have the models that Husky wants them to have, and Husky also make all the good or decent models on their own factory.

Last edited:
Last I checked on this FORD was #1 for dependability in 2010 and Toyota was #1 for recalls in 2010. So I beg to differ.

Is'nt enough porsche's and bmw's sold together to even compete.

Not according to JD Power:
Ratings | J.D. Power

But I digress....

In my opinion, Dolmar is the "best brand", which I'll consider as best pro saw brand, after Husky and Stihl. All three have excellent saws, but Dolmar has virtually no local dealer network in the PNW. Stihl is everywhere, and Husky is in all of the pro shops. Jonsered is non-existant here, and anyways is just a Husky clone.

That is not correct, they have several smaller pro saws, like the top-handle 2139T, the 2153 and the 2156.

There also are the 88cc 2188, but there it stops, so I agree that it can't be number one!

They only have the models that Husky wants them to have, and Husky also make all the good or decent models on their own factory.

Well I stand corrected.. I only have used the 2186.. and not much. Have owned Dolmar but never Jonsered.

But I also beg to differ.. maybe :)

Tell me where the heck they are on our website..

Jonsered

cuz I sure can not find em..

Last edited:
Well I stand corrected.. I only have used the 2186.. and not much. Have owned Dolmar but never Jonsered.

But I also beg to differ.. maybe :)

Tell me where the heck they are on our website..

Jonsered

cuz I sure can not find em..

I don't know what market that web-site is from, but a lot of other models also are missing, not just the ones I mentioned!

Oooops, notised you are in Canada - try the US East site!

Last edited:
I don't know what market that web-site is from, but a lot of other models also are missing, not just the ones I mentioned!

Oooops, notised you are in Canada - try the US East site!

Thanks.. there are a few missing.. but also some the US does not have (mostly with the heated handles mind you)..

Not sure why they do not have top handled saw (as an example) in Canada though.

Not according to JD Power:
Ratings | J.D. Power

But I digress....

In my opinion, Dolmar is the "best brand", which I'll consider as best pro saw brand, after Husky and Stihl. All three have excellent saws, but Dolmar has virtually no local dealer network in the PNW. Stihl is everywhere, and Husky is in all of the pro shops. Jonsered is non-existant here, and anyways is just a Husky clone.

Last I checked FORD and LINCOLN was sold under the same roof.

Thanks.. there are a few missing.. but also some the US does not have (mostly with the heated handles mind you)..

Not sure why they do not have top handled saw (as an example) in Canada though.

Somehow, heated handles and carbs are pretty uncommon in the US, and I don't really see any good reason for that - they have several cold areas.:soldier::confused:

Back