What is this 084 stihl worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw for sale locally 084 Stihl. Told it runs like new but also told in excellent condition. When I looked at the pictures, I notice a chip out of the cylinder cover, chain break handle is broken and the sprocket cover has a chunk out of it. Has a 36" bar. Asking $600 but I am thinking it is worth more along the line of $350 to MAYBE $450 tops. What do you all think?

Last 084 I was offered was in pieces, had a new muffler, all new rubber parts and seals. Came with new crank bearings and a new in the box cross cylinder and piston.

Guy wanted $800 canadian so about 600 US. I passed on it as i didnt really need a saw that big but I thought hard about it before I declined his offer..

Hard to say without a pic. The muffler, jug and crank are worth $450 if they are in good condition. Way overpriced if you ask me, but that’s what they go for.

Those big ole saws makes me hurt just looking at them. My 660 makes me hurt using it as I couldn't imagine cranking and toting that around. I always wanted an 880 but everyday my want gets less and less. As far as price goes it is all about condition as parts for those are extremely expensive and not a lot of used parts to pull from.

If it runs like new as stated and the 36" bar is in good shape probably the asking price is not bad.

That $750 saw is a much nicer looking saw. No broken parts and not as beat up. Thanks.
I do not think the sprocket cover is correct for the $750 saw though and in my experience, if the sprocket cover has been broken, you have to check to see if the fuel tank has been repaired behind it. So far 4 of the saws I bought on the internet have been repaired where the chain broke the cover and the tank.

I got an 084 av with 36' b+c recently for £450 on fleabay, which was €511 for me + shipping so roughly €550 total. It did not run like the seller said it would. I ended up having to spend another €30 getting the carb cleaned out by a neighbour of mine who has a license to buy that chemical they use for that. Even then it was still a good deal, these saws rarely go for less than $750, especially in the US and Canada where those size saws are used more.
$600 seems like an okayish price to me but see if he will go for less first.

Especially considering the PTO side of the crank case was also junk. I thought I made out like a bandit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back