what is this knob on my chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my electric saws.

Philbert
I always thought about buying a new electric saw to cut up a deer with, using cooking oil as lube.
But never got around to it.
Never tried it, but I assume that a reciprocating saw would be better. Easier to control the blade placement. A chainsaw would throw hamburger in your face.

Philbert

I always thought about buying a new electric saw to cut up a deer with, using cooking oil as lube.
But never got around to it.
That is what I use my old 020AVP for, don't need the bar oil really- venison might be different, but I find beef & mutton carry enough fat to keep things fairly well lubricated whilst breaking a full carcass into halves. ;)

That is what I use my old 020AVP for, don't need the bar oil really- venison might be different, but I find beef & mutton carry enough fat to keep things fairly well lubricated whilst breaking a full carcass into halves. ;)
Man that used to come out butcher a hog for us every year used a gas powered stihl (not sure what model) to cut the carcass in half from ahole to sternum and sling bone and meat, dog would clean it up. I remember my step dad asked him if he had to use oil in it and the man just laughed. The man used to butcher cattle and bison as well so I’m sure the saw was a powerful model.

Man that used to come out butcher a hog for us every year used a gas powered stihl (not sure what model) to cut the carcass in half from ahole to sternum and sling bone and meat, dog would clean it up. I remember my step dad asked him if he had to use oil in it and the man just laughed. The man used to butcher cattle and bison as well so I’m sure the saw was a powerful model.
You dont need a whole lot of power- bone doesnt put up much of a fight and the muscle is dead easy. You can still buy the butchers handsaws designed to split a cattle beast carcass into halves as you describe. I just dedicate the old 020 to that task and that task only- takes longer to strip the bar off and clean the saw down than it does to split 3-4 cattle beasts!

The original chainsaw was hand cranked & designed by doctors to assist in child birth cutting pelvic bone & flesh... It's by design a lot more efficient at cutting bone & tissue than it is cutting wood.
We sliced a 1100 lb bull moose in half with a 192T once when I lived out west, took about 30-35 seconds to split the whole thing.
spine, ribs, pelvis, bone & everything. crazy fast.

Power Sharp. It jammed a lipstick-sized grinding stone into special cutters to sharpen them on the saw, while running. Top bevel grind.

View attachment 869281
View attachment 869282

Old style PowerSharp. A.k.a ‘Barracuda chain’! As @HarleyT stated (as much as I hate to admit that he is right), different, and not compatible with current PowerSharp chain. Same concept, but totally different geometries.

Philbert

That is some fugly chain. How does it "cut," does anybody know? It looks like it would make chips about as well as an ice pick.

Sawzall works pretty good on deer, but nowadays with CWD, I go boneless and use a hand saw for the aitch bone, which takes about 10 seconds.

I imagine a chainsaw would make a Godawful mess (though we did once use a Craftsman bandsaw!)

That is some fugly chain. How does it "cut," does anybody know? It looks like it would make chips about as well as an ice pick.
I have used both the ‘old’ and the ‘new’ PowerSharp chains. They cut fairly aggressively, especially in softer woods. Several threads on it here in the forum.

Philbert

Back