What is this? Please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbsfield

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone identify what this issue might be? The disease is on a potted Japanese red maple.

8035b390d45e7b10b64d8b4c9e426369.jpg
54afc304809fc7dd8e38934611429f46.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Its a kind of insect, they call them mites or scale. I think some soapy water should do the trick or you could get so kind of spray at the hardware store. Sevin?

You can get some horticultural oil and spray it at 1-2% mix rate. I have used soapy oil for aphids, and it works well. I have never tried soap for scale, but hort oil is inexpensive and works well for scale. Just don't spray hort oil on a blue spruce. The oil will drain the blue color out and they will turn back to the normal green of a spruce. The new growth will be blue again, but they look awful for a while.

You can get some horticultural oil and spray it at 1-2% mix rate. I have used soapy oil for aphids, and it works well. I have never tried soap for scale, but hort oil is inexpensive and works well for scale. Just don't spray hort oil on a blue spruce. The oil will drain the blue color out and they will turn back to the normal green of a spruce. The new growth will be blue again, but they look awful for a while.

"Oil-sensitive Plants
Several plants are susceptible to oils: maples, particularly Japanese and red maple; hickories and black walnut; plume cedar ( Cryptomeria japonica ) and smoke tree ( Cotinus coggygria ). Injury to these plants can occur from either dormant or summer oil applications. Several plants are also somewhat sensitive: redbud, junipers, cedars, spruce, and Douglas firs."

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/PHC/hortoil.htm

Imacloprid may be best. Always, always, always make sure that the plant you are treating and those nearby are not susceptible to damage from the control being used. Read up on scale control:

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/files/efpdf2/ef427.pdf

Cheap easy thing to try without much chance of damaging the tree would be permethrin spray. Can be found at most feed stores and even walmart under the brand name Sawyers in the camping area. Usually used to treat clothing for ticks but it kills just about anything in the insect world on contact. Not good for cats and fish though, other animals are safe at normal dosages just don't drink the stuff.

Latest posts

Back