What is with the term, saw is wearing xx" bar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Where in the world did this terminology come from. I wear a pair of pants.:guitar: Hot girls hopefully are wearing none. :clap::rock::happybanana:

Saws are fitted to with bars of varying lengths within a specific range. Often much longer than is appropriate for the task and size of the power head.

Rant over:innocent:

The term is often utilized by those who wear too large of bar for their saw's power. Bogs in a wet noodle, but hey, it looks Bad A**
'Wearing' that long bar also sounds cooler. When ya got a Bad A** saw with 3 or 4 HP, you gotta be cool dude.
Get with the program ;)

The term is often utilized by those who wear too large of bar for their saw's power. Bogs in a wet noodle, but hey, it looks Bad A**
'Wearing' that long bar also sounds cooler. When ya got a Bad A** saw with 3 or 4 HP, you gotta be cool dude.
Get with the program ;)

Now you are starting to poke my buttons which often times aren't terribly hard to do, but I digress as I often do. The other thing that gets me are dual enormous over sized felling spikes. The only thing big spikes do is reduce the usable length of the bar and allow people to try and lever a dull chain into the wood in a feeble attempt to punish the wood into submission.

I run a 20'' bar even on small HP saws for the reach they afford. When I'm limbing a downed tree, a longer bar helps keep me from bending over so far and is easier on the back. I'm not looking to make a saw look bad azz or impress anyone.
Sure a longer bar takes more HP to get the full potential, but I don't expect a low HP saw with a long bar to run a long bar as good as a bigger power head. Noodling firewood with a longer bar is the way to go for several reasons. If your cutting 18'' lengths and need to noodle down big rounds, you can get safely through the round with a little of the tip sticking out the other side. Also by having more tip sticking out the back side helps prevent kick back. You end up with a saw with a longer reach but with a lighter power head. You also end up with more cutting teeth on a longer bar. I'm not trying to win a saw contest or looking for speed cutting, It simple works better for what I do.

Now you are starting to poke my buttons which often times aren't terribly hard to do, but I digress as I often do. The other thing that gets me are dual enormous over sized felling spikes. The only thing big spikes do is reduce the usable length of the bar and allow people to try and lever a dull chain into the wood in a feeble attempt to punish the wood into submission.

yeah but if that stuff didn't sell what would that guy on ebay do with his 40cc saw running a 32 inch bar and 4 inch felling spikes.

don't you know chrome headers add 10 more HP and a 4 inch body lift gives you 20 inches of ground clearance
and
a back window full of stickers make the truck drive better .

next thing your going to tell us is that a 12 inch drop hitch and chrome imitation bulls testicles don't make your truck pull a bigger trailer.

yeah but if that stuff didn't sell what would that guy on ebay do with his 40cc saw running a 32 inch bar and 4 inch felling spikes.

don't you know chrome headers add 10 more HP and a 4 inch body lift gives you 20 inches of ground clearance
and
a back window full of stickers make the truck drive better .

next thing your going to tell us is that a 12 inch drop hitch and chrome imitation bulls testicles don't make your truck pull a bigger trailer.

Racing stickers always make any car/truck faster. Everyone knows that!;)

I’m with you on this one. Some guys just need to stroke their.....manhood by slapping a bigger bar then needed on a saw that can’t hardly pull it.

I feel the same cringe when I’m talking to a guy about saws and all he is concerned with is bar length. Or the fact that a longer bar instantly makes the saw batter.

And then, try and explain to them that putting a longer bar on an underpowered saw is just like slapping monster truck tires on a ford ranger.

I’m with you on this one. Some guys just need to stroke their.....manhood by slapping a bigger bar then needed on a saw that can’t hardly pull it.

I feel the same cringe when I’m talking to a guy about saws and all he is concerned with is bar length. Or the fact that a longer bar instantly makes the saw batter.

And then, try and explain to them that putting a longer bar on an underpowered saw is just like slapping monster truck tires on a ford ranger.
but Dude! , the 35's on my 89 ranger are so awesome , it is a supper monster mudder now and I only have to change the upper and lower ball joints ever 20K miles . Man! it Hauls like 40 ton man!

and the Monster logo sticker in my back window is like so bad man!

yeah ! Man ! like I am totally taking over the grarage! next year we my mom and her new boyfriend go to Florida for 3 months.

but Dude! , the 35's on my 89 ranger are so awesome , it is a supper monster mudder now and I only have to change the upper and lower ball joints ever 20K miles . Man! it Hauls like 40 ton man!

and the Monster logo sticker in my back window is like so bad man!

yeah ! Man ! like I am totally taking over the grarage! next year we my mom and her new boyfriend go to Florida for 3 months.

Everything you're referring to plus more!

How about "she is a beast","it is like a light sabre",it is dual,no triple,no quadruple ported ! I trimmed the time in the cut down by 1.7 seconds.

One of the best ones I heard was a young guy talking to his friends about his "bad to the bone" dirt bike he just got. He was explaining to them the reason it had so much power was that the guy before him had it rebuilt and he put a new "tighter power band" in it. He went on to explain it that it was a stronger belt(band) and it wouldn't slip like the stock one. So a power band is like a rubber band. LOL. All his friends just thought it was awesome as they didn't have a clue either. AMAZING!

I cut once with an acquaintance. Locust. My working bar for most of it was MS361/20" with an occasional swap to longer bar for felling and some bucking. He showed up with an MS660 that had a muffler mod...actually no muffler at all by the sound of it. I had to wear my muffs even a hundred yeards away. I pointed out that he had a great saw but there wasn't tree anywhere in this county that called fro such a large saw.

My 24'' bar has only been use a few times, but it's there when I need it. It's the longest bar I own. My biggest saw is a 362 so no need for a longer bar. I can still noodle a 48'' log with a 24'' bar by taking my time.

I cut once with an acquaintance. Locust. My working bar for most of it was MS361/20" with an occasional swap to longer bar for felling and some bucking. He showed up with an MS660 that had a muffler mod...actually no muffler at all by the sound of it. I had to wear my muffs even a hundred yeards away. I pointed out that he had a great saw but there wasn't tree anywhere in this county that called fro such a large saw.

but at least he had enough saw for his bar.

not exactly the same but sort of on the order of , "dude you totally need a 300 win mag or a 7mm mag to shoot deer or your just pitifully under gunned" but they have never shot over a hundred yards in their life at a range or at game and all that massively awesome power is putting up 7 inch groups at 100 yards when you are sighting in at the bench next to them because they also have no idea how to shoot .

Going from a 20” to a 25” blade is an 25% increase in better ness. Then add the 3x multiplayer by adding the magnum stickers. You end up with an increase of 75% if awesomeness.

I can almost feel the time saving in the cut by using my calibrated hand dyno, not to be confused with my seat of the pants dyno. That one is strictly for trucks.

Back