What is with the term, saw is wearing xx" bar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best ones I heard was a young guy talking to his friends about his "bad to the bone" dirt bike he just got. He was explaining to them the reason it had so much power was that the guy before him had it rebuilt and he put a new "tighter power band" in it. He went on to explain it that it was a stronger belt(band) and it wouldn't slip like the stock one. So a power band is like a rubber band. LOL. All his friends just thought it was awesome as they didn't have a clue either. AMAZING!

I am a more of a torque nut, got the low power band mod on my Snapper....

Now you are starting to poke my buttons which often times aren't terribly hard to do, but I digress as I often do. The other thing that gets me are dual enormous over sized felling spikes. The only thing big spikes do is reduce the usable length of the bar and allow people to try and lever a dull chain into the wood in a feeble attempt to punish the wood into submission.

YOU COME OUT TO OREGON AND TRY AND WORK ON SOME BIG OLD GROWTH OR SECOND GROWTH FIR...HELL 3RD GROWTH FOR THAT MATTER WITH DEEP DEEP GNARLY BARK ON STEEP MOUNTAIN GRADES AND TRY AND USE SOME LAME OL TINY DOGS (SPIKES AS YOU CALL THEM! lololololol).... YOU WONT HAVE ANY SUCCESS PERIOD! LOL! THEY WILL SLIP AND SLIDE AROUND ETC....SO BEFORE YOU GUYS THINK LONGER BARS AND LARGER DOGS ARE FOR MACHO "DUDES" COME ON OUT WEST AND WE WILL SHOW YOU WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT! LOLOLOL!

AND AS FAR AS LONGER BARS GO....WE LIVE IN THE REAL MOUNTAINS FELLA'S WHERE WE ARE WORKING ON LARGE LONG FIR AND PINE TREES ON STEEP MOUNTAIN SIDES WHERE WE HAVE TO WEAR CAULK BOOTS TO EVEN ATTEMPT TO WALK DOWN THE TREE LENGTHS! WHEN WALKING DOWN THE TREE LENGTHS BUMPING LIMBS AND KNOTS AS WELL AS BUCKING THEM INTO SKIDDABLE LOG LENGTHS, YOU NEED THE LONGER BARS OR YOU WOULD LOOK LIKE THE HUNCH BACK OF NOTRE DAME TRYING TO GET IT DONE! YOU WOULD HAVE A LOT MORE ACCIDENTS FROM FATIGUE ALONE, MUCH LESS HAVING TO BEND OVER SO FAR TO BUMP LIMBS THAT ARE PINNED DOWN AND IN ALL KINDS OF GNARLY POSITIONS....SO WE LIKE OUR FACES AWAY FROM THAT STUFF WHILE WALKING DOWN BUMPING A 100-120 FOOTER ON STEEP SLOPES.

SO BEFORE YOU THINK ITS ALL ABOUT MACHO AND EGO....COME ON OUT WEST OF THE ROCKIES AND TO THE PACIFIC COAST AND WORK WITH US A BIT AND YOU WILL SEE WHY WE RUN 660'S,/066'S/064'S WITH 36" BARS AND 044'S/461'S ETC FOR 3RD GROWTH AND LANDING SAWS. AINT ABOUT MACHO...ITS ABOUT PRODUCTION AND USING THE RIGHT SET UP FOR THE JOB AT HAND TO BE SAFE AND PRODUCTIVE!

AND BEFORE ANYBODY GETS UPSET ABOUT ALL CAPS....I HAVE VISION ISSUES FROM MILITARY SERVICE ETC AND HELPS ME TO SEE WHAT IM TYPING OR READING SO APOLOGIES IF ANYBODY IS UPSET ABOUT CAPS. I GUESS THAT MEANS YELLING WITH THE TECHNICALLY COMPUTER SAVIE FOLKS OUT IN THE WORLD.

My saw wears a 28 inch blade a lot of the times and it sometimes is too small. Now I agree you don't need a 28 to cut a 12 inch oak. also I don't have those huge dawgs on no saw, I did have a set and gave them away. I will also say they are needed on huge heavy barked trees, and I mean huge. I cut some big aoks and never needed any but our oaks don't have the heavy thick bark. and the magnum stickers I don't put on. granted the 460 came with one. I also don't own any shelf queens. they will get used regardless on age. I don't shine up no saw either. I will clean them up but mine show a lot of wear.

SANY1894.JPG

The term is often utilized by those who wear too large of bar for their saw's power. Bogs in a wet noodle, but hey, it looks Bad A**
'Wearing' that long bar also sounds cooler. When ya got a Bad A** saw with 3 or 4 HP, you gotta be cool dude.
Get with the program ;)

SEE REPLY TO YOU AND C5RULZ! LOL! AND ALSO.....ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT SIZE OF THE SAW/CC'S ETC....DOGS AND BAR LENGTHS HAVE TO DO ALSO WITH JOB AT HAND AND TERRAIN YOU ARE WORKING ON. LIKE I SAID IN MY LENGTHY REPLY ABOVE....WE WORK IN MOUNTAINS ON STEEP GRADES ON VERY LARGE AND VERY TALL HEAVILY BARKED TIMBER.

NOW IF YOU ARE A FLAT LANDER OR ARE CUTTING SMOOTH BARKED TREE'S OR YOU ONLY CUT THE OCCASIONAL LARGER TREE, THEN YOUR SET UP WILL LOOK A LOT DIFFERENT THAN OURS.....BUT TO EACH HIS OWN AND ITS HILARIOUS TO HEAR GUYS FROM FLAT STATES WHERE THEY DONT HAVE THE TREE'S WE DO OUT WEST TALK TRASH ABOUT US LIKE WE ARE SOME "DUDES" TRYING TO LOOK KOOL! LOL!
YOU THINK WE WANT TO PACK AROUND ALL OUR FALLING GEAR, WEDGES, AXE, OIL/GAS, LARGE SAW HEAD WITH LONG BARS ETC.. YOUR CRAZY! LOL!! I USE THE SMALLEST SET UP THAT ALLOWS ME TO GET THE JOB DONE EFFICIENTLY AND BE AS SAFE AS I CAN BE AS WELL. AND IN SOME AREAS WE ALSO PACK A LARGE BORE HANDGUN OR SHORT 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN BECAUSE OF GRIZZLY OR BROWN BEAR. I LOGGED IN ALASKA 4 DIFFERENT TIMES OVER THE YEARS FALLING TIMBER AND IT WAS THE LAW IN CAMP THAT EACH CUTTER HAD TO HAVE A MAGNUM OR LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN EACH PLUS AND 12 GAUGE FOR EVERY PAIR OF CUTTERS CUZ WE ALWAYS WORK IN TEAMS OF TWO.

HELL I DONT LIKE PACKIN THE BIG SAWS WITH LONG BARS PLUS ALL THAT GEAR UP AND DOWN STEEP MOUNTAINS, BUT ITS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET IT DONE.

I don't think they are talking about you guys that cut the big firs and redwood trees, Think they are more referring to the ones that cut firewood or just collect them to admire.

GOTCHA...BUT IT SURE SOUNDED IN GENERAL TO ME. LOL! BUT LIKE I SAID, ANYBODY IS WELCOME OUT HEAR ANY TIME TO SEE THIS COUNTRY AND HOW WE WORK IT ANY TIME! LOL! THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND I APPRECIATE IT SINCE YOU HAVE BEEN AROUND HERE A WHILE.

IM NEW TO POSTING HERE BUT I SURE LIKE ALL THE INFO AND STORIES AND TECH TALK AND STUFF. BEEN RUNNING SAWS AND LOGGING FOR ALMOST 40 YRS AND I ALWAYS LIKE TO KEEP UP ON WHATS WHAT AND WHO IS DOING WHAT AND HOW THEY ARE GETTING THINGS DONE. LOVE THIS PLACE!

IM ALSO AND H&K GUY! GOT A FEW OF THEM AND HAD QUITE A FEW OVER THE YEARS. HAD SOME CLASS 3 HK STUFF AS WELL. WIFE BOUGHT ME A COMPACT USP 9 ABOUT 10 OR 12 YEARS AGO TO "MATCH" THE HK FULL AUTO CLASS 3 MP5 I HAD PURCHASED! LOL! SHE IS A GREAT WOMAN!

I think the whole point of this thread was the term "wearing " which i agree is a bit indulgent when talking about a chainsaw. sounds a little like if it was being described on the price is right show. Maybe throw the term "sporting" in there with "wearing", both are annoying

there is a time and a place for a big bar.

if you have a big tree , yes you need a big bar

over barring a saw is an issue , but if your running a 76.5cc saw with a 32 inch bar in soft wood it really isn't over barring

this thread was all about poking fun at the "my saw is so awesome" crowd who haven't cut 2 cords of wood with it in several years

you can recognize them by the chrome exaust ends that are 3x the size of the pipe

if you didn't get that from the cracks about 35 supper swampers on a ford ranger or cracks about stickers adding 20HP

if you are actually out and doing real work this thread is not poking fun at you.

if your truck or saw is now running better , supper cool or Monster tough because of stickers and decals and not because of actual mechanics then this thread is poking fun at you , be offended be very butt hurt.

My saw wears a 28 inch blade a lot of the times and it sometimes is too small. Now I agree you don't need a 28 to cut a 12 inch oak. also I don't have those huge dawgs on no saw, I did have a set and gave them away. I will also say they are needed on huge heavy barked trees, and I mean huge. I cut some big aoks and never needed any but our oaks don't have the heavy thick bark. and the magnum stickers I don't put on. granted the 460 came with one. I also don't own any shelf queens. they will get used regardless on age. I don't shine up no saw either. I will clean them up but mine show a lot of wear.

View attachment 690206

My MS441 is full wrap dual factory dogs. They really shine in felling cuts. Bucking I usually don't even use the dogs, If I need to put on pressure, I know it is time to swap chains.

My logger buddies put some serious wood on the ground every day. They burn 5 gallons a day between 3 660/661's. They run 24" bars almost always, except once I saw then with 20". There is one parcel with some really big cottonwoods and the landowner who is a friend of mine wants them down. They are a good 6-7' diameter. I told the boys they could borrow a Husky since they don't run bars that long. I think the ported 288 with a 36" would be up to the task.

30tq51w.jpg

v8lksm.jpg

16bc1uo.jpg

SEE REPLY TO YOU AND C5RULZ! LOL! AND ALSO.....ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT SIZE OF THE SAW/CC'S ETC....DOGS AND BAR LENGTHS HAVE TO DO ALSO WITH JOB AT HAND AND TERRAIN YOU ARE WORKING ON. LIKE I SAID IN MY LENGTHY REPLY ABOVE....WE WORK IN MOUNTAINS ON STEEP GRADES ON VERY LARGE AND VERY TALL HEAVILY BARKED TIMBER.

NOW IF YOU ARE A FLAT LANDER OR ARE CUTTING SMOOTH BARKED TREE'S OR YOU ONLY CUT THE OCCASIONAL LARGER TREE, THEN YOUR SET UP WILL LOOK A LOT DIFFERENT THAN OURS.....BUT TO EACH HIS OWN AND ITS HILARIOUS TO HEAR GUYS FROM FLAT STATES WHERE THEY DONT HAVE THE TREE'S WE DO OUT WEST TALK TRASH ABOUT US LIKE WE ARE SOME "DUDES" TRYING TO LOOK KOOL! LOL!
YOU THINK WE WANT TO PACK AROUND ALL OUR FALLING GEAR, WEDGES, AXE, OIL/GAS, LARGE SAW HEAD WITH LONG BARS ETC.. YOUR CRAZY! LOL!! I USE THE SMALLEST SET UP THAT ALLOWS ME TO GET THE JOB DONE EFFICIENTLY AND BE AS SAFE AS I CAN BE AS WELL. AND IN SOME AREAS WE ALSO PACK A LARGE BORE HANDGUN OR SHORT 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN BECAUSE OF GRIZZLY OR BROWN BEAR. I LOGGED IN ALASKA 4 DIFFERENT TIMES OVER THE YEARS FALLING TIMBER AND IT WAS THE LAW IN CAMP THAT EACH CUTTER HAD TO HAVE A MAGNUM OR LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN EACH PLUS AND 12 GAUGE FOR EVERY PAIR OF CUTTERS CUZ WE ALWAYS WORK IN TEAMS OF TWO.

HELL I DONT LIKE PACKIN THE BIG SAWS WITH LONG BARS PLUS ALL THAT GEAR UP AND DOWN STEEP MOUNTAINS, BUT ITS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET IT DONE.

If you are felling and cutting the size and under the terrain you say, then kudos to you and be safe! You are certainly in the 1/10 of 1% of the posters here on this forum being an actual true users of chainsaws and being in the profession.

The original intent of this is nomenclature of "wearing" bars which is just a dumb term. Heck I remember a post a while back where a member was lamenting what to do with all the "cookies" he cuts. Some were actually buying loads of logs to cut into cookies. Of course race chains and stop watches are required equipment.

If you are felling and cutting the size and under the terrain you say, then kudos to you and be safe! You are certainly in the 1/10 of 1% of the posters here on this forum being an actual true users of chainsaws and being in the profession.

The original intent of this is nomenclature of "wearing" bars which is just a dumb term. Heck I remember a post a while back where a member was lamenting what to do with all the "cookies" he cuts. Some were actually buying loads of logs to cut into cookies. Of course race chains and stop watches are required equipment.

MVC-004S_7.JPG

I did cut this cookie a while back but planning on making a rustic table out of it. Still air drying it and it hasn't cracked out so it may be a go!

One of the best ones I heard was a young guy talking to his friends about his "bad to the bone" dirt bike he just got. He was explaining to them the reason it had so much power was that the guy before him had it rebuilt and he put a new "tighter power band" in it. He went on to explain it that it was a stronger belt(band) and it wouldn't slip like the stock one. So a power band is like a rubber band. LOL. All his friends just thought it was awesome as they didn't have a clue either. AMAZING!
So whats the rev range where it develops it's power called usually around 1000revs on a 2Smoke bike&round the 12/13000 mark the latest buzz phrase among the WE warriorsis "MY saw is a XYZ123& is wearing a 18" blade

Now that is a COOKIE my friend.:happybanana::guitar::chop::dancing::rock2:

Threw some chips on that one.

MVC-002S_13.JPG

Notice in the background the rounds. those are 22 - 24 inch. It always amazes me how the diameter always throws the eyes scale off. I've learned to now mark the lengths as I tend to get tricked by that.

MVC-021S.JPG

I use a length of rod on a magnet and throw it on the trim saw. Have a 16 inch marked as well if I'm working for someone who wants that. Just walk down the length and tap a small cut mark. Works well for me as I have to cheat anymore as I'm an old fart. LOL

My logger buddies put some serious wood on the ground every day. They burn 5 gallons a day between 3 660/661's. They run 24" bars almost always, except once I saw then with 20". There is one parcel with some really big cottonwoods and the landowner who is a friend of mine wants them down. They are a good 6-7' diameter. I told the boys they could borrow a Husky since they don't run bars that long. I think the ported 288 with a 36" would be up to the task.

30tq51w.jpg

v8lksm.jpg

16bc1uo.jpg

Those are some nice sticks of oak right there!

Back