What is your pay structure? Hourly, commission based, etc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Dulaney

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of forming my company. I'm currently employed in an unrelated field home service company that pays technicians a commission on total sales. It's very effective at controlling costs as employees can't just run the clock and pad their paychecks.

I'm thinking of building a similar pay structure wherein I reserve about 30% of the cost of jobs for payroll. I'm thinking I would pay ground crew hourly wages and then the foreman/climbers would split the remaining cost using some type of calculation factoring in their current rank and position in the company. I'm worried that it's a bit outside the norm for the tree service industry which may scare away good seasoned climbers.

I worked at another tree service years ago and payroll was always a huge issue (that and workers comp rates). I'm open to learn about pay structures out there and see what is recommended that can control costs.

I just pay $10/hr. 1099. They give me a bill, I pay it.
No work comp, not needed here till over 5 employees, not needed for contractors.

We pay hourly. Keeping crews from padding hours is a supervisory function. You'll quickly learn which of your crew leaders are efficient and effective workers and who are slow.

For us, a two man crew with truck and chipper (same whether lift truck or chip truck - just simpler calculations) straight labour (without worker comp, taxes etc) would be 22 - 25% of the expected charge out rate.

Latest posts

Back