What kinda spikes for pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bwalker has a point. What about them pesky woodpeckers. I 've also seen in the north woods where black bear like to sharpen thier claws on a tree and will peel off huge splinters of wood for something to do. Thier claws make gaffs look like zits.

Think of it this way, we can't change what animals do to trees, this is a natural , random occurence that can't be controlled for the most part.

On the other side of the coin a man that spikes a tree is a deliberate act causing deep punture wounds that knocks out part of the trees vascular system causing harm to the tree that otherwise could be avoided.

Any wounds to a tree wheather naturally inflicted or done on purpose are harmful to trees, we as arborists have a choice this is the difference.

Larry

Last edited:
I spoze, but trees are alot tougher than what they get credit for here sometimes.

bwalker said:
I am not a arborist and as such do not understand your pet peeves.
In my neck of the woods its not uncommon at all to have red oaks and yellow birchs full of holes from sap suckers and wood peckers. This doesnt hurt the trees at all, so I am wondering how a few gaff marks will kill a tree.
Liek I said I am no arborist. I am just wondering.

Thats true but spikes dig in farther and and make a cut in the tree just not a little hole. And most people dont sterilize their spikes which can result in carring disease from one tree to anyother. And you make way more spike wounds than an animal will make. Soo that my 2cents.

thx Dan

bwalker said:
I am not a arborist and as such do not understand your pet peeves.
In my neck of the woods its not uncommon at all to have red oaks and yellow birchs full of holes from sap suckers and wood peckers. This doesnt hurt the trees at all, so I am wondering how a few gaff marks will kill a tree.
Liek I said I am no arborist. I am just wondering.

Thats true but spikes dig in farther and and make a cut in the tree just not a little hole. And most people dont sterilize their spikes which can result in carring disease from one tree to anyother. And you make way more spike wounds than an animal will make. Soo that my 2cents.

thx Dan

It's not a matter of killing the tree, it's a matter of doing harm to the tree. Any cuts made into trees damage them. This includes pruning cuts. Proper pruning cuts should be to correct deficiencies in a trees structure, prevent mechanical failure, to remove an obstruction or hazard, or to limit the spread of disease. With all of these examples the empasis is on doing minor damage now to prevent major damage later. For any invasive surgery a doctor must enter the body. There is always a risk of infection, injury or death with any invasive procedure. The mitigating factor is that a much greater injury is avoided by making the smaller injury. Yes trees can survive from some vascular damage. However, why make the injury if a method is known to get the same result without the injury. The focus needs to be on what is best for the tree not the amount of injury a tree can tolerate.

xander9727 said:
It's not a matter of killing the tree, it's a matter of doing harm to the tree. Any cuts made into trees damage them. This includes pruning cuts. Proper pruning cuts should be to correct deficiencies in a trees structure, prevent mechanical failure, to remove an obstruction or hazard, or to limit the spread of disease. With all of these examples the empasis is on doing minor damage now to prevent major damage later. For any invasive surgery a doctor must enter the body. There is always a risk of infection, injury or death with any invasive procedure. The mitigating factor is that a much greater injury is avoided by making the smaller injury. Yes trees can survive from some vascular damage. However, why make the injury if a method is known to get the same result without the injury. The focus needs to be on what is best for the tree not the amount of injury a tree can tolerate.

Great post xander
you cant explain it much better than that.

climber1423 said:
Tom it look like once a year you make yourself look like an a$$ over something you know is wrong. Quit puffing the magic dragon ( no its not the boys pet) and come back to reality.

Did you read ALL of my posts on this thread? The obvious sarcasm must not have been evident to you.

This whole thread is a troll in case anyone missed the point :)

Have some fun...lighten up fella :)

McPeak was outed more than six years ago on the ISA forum. At least once per year someone "discovers" him again and we have a time kicking ol' Harold around a little.

I know its a troll but some people still do it. And after all Im talking to "Mr. Crampons" And are the still working out?

climber1423

why don't you come back and post after you finish school and actually work a few years in the field, instead of bsing with husky288 about what great tree men you are.

kf_tree said:
climber1423

why don't you come back and post after you finish school and actually work a few years in the field, instead of bsing with husky288 about what great tree men you are.
:sword:

TREETX said:
What kind of spikes/crampons you guys like to use when pruning trees?

The next time I do ice storm removals I'm going to buy a pair of mono-points. The Foot Fangs that I have now work fine but the double front points get a bit rocky sometimes.

What do other climbers use?

I use a portable torch to melt my way to the top! J/K Tom. That sounds like an interesting approach to climbing iced over trees.

Tom,
Don't let them ruffle your feathers..........once they have a decade or so of experience and read your name in the a lot of the pubs they may get your sarcasm..........or they may just ask Harold who his site builder is.

No disrespect meant to Tom, just razzing him. I'd like to learn more about using crampons or caulks on ice covered trees. We've been known to have an ice storm or two in Kansas City.

kf_tree said:
climber1423

Well for all you know which is nothing about me. I have had hmm... lets say 3 years of experience (1 on our own and 2 with small tree service.) And there past 4 summers I have been out making money ever day so dont pull that bullsh!! on me. And ya me Husky288 (my brother) talk about how we a good "tree men" notice I said good and NEVER said "great." Just 2 weeks ago we were talking to one of my brothers x boss and he said " Ya you'll guys are going to do great in anything you guys do. Id hire you guys any day" He's been in the business about 15 years and I think hes been around the block a few time and see something in us!

climber1423

when i first started to post here i butted heads with tom alot. but over time i learned he really had a lot to offer and we should be gratefull he shares his knowledge, he also practice's what he preaches.

he has a very good out look on life and does not look at things at face value. instead of attacking him, you would be wise to try and learn from him. he always has an interesting way of putting a spin on things, to look at them from a different perspective.

i know your just a young pup, but now's the best time for you to think about things differently.

Climber1423,

Don't worry, we will have our day. When Kenny and Richy work for us, and they start b%tching tell them to **** and get up that tree. Plus at the rate you are climbing, one day you'll be giving Jim Roach, Teti, Strausser, etc a run for their money.

What do Rich and Ken have to put on their resumes; other then Ken's modeling picture.

Are they a Cert. Arborist, college grad. or even have some college exp. in Hort or Forestry, etc?

Remember years on big removals take their toll. Will a tree service hire Ken when he is 50 and beat to sh!t from hardcore removals everyday, yet lacks any other real professional credentials?

Back