what knot to make eyes in ends of prusik cordage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tie a sling using a doubled fisherman, then seize the tag ends to running part....of course the seizings are mostly fussiness o my part...

I like having few extra slings kicking round...great for hanging stuff in the tree or an extra toehold for weird positions...

I use a scaffold hitch. I think some call it a fishermans knot.

I use an anchor hitch on the other end of the climbing line because I'm too tight to buy spliced eyes. Actually I have six or seven climbing ropes and none have splices.
/

I tend to like knots over splices...I can look at the rope every time I tie the knot..hard to know what's going on inside a splice...but then I'm pretty light so
the extra strength in a splice doesn't bother me.

I use grapevine ( I think that's the same as double fisherman ) to connect two ends of rope or cord, then dress the tails with tape after I load it at ground level. For eyes I just use figure 8, then load and tape the tails. I haven't ever had a grapvine creep once loaded, but the Figure 8 creeps a little once in awhile so I'm not sure if a figure 8 is the best to use for eyes. If you use a figure 8 it uses a lot of rope, and you want to keep an eye on it. I imagine splicing would be better, but I don't know anything about splicing. Good luck.

I bought a short (24 inch) spliced bee-lin eye to eye for my michaocan that I like with very short legs. Turns out the whipping from the splices is so stiff that I am back to using tied cords anyway. The stiffness interferes with the legs moving freely.

In theory I like the idea of the spliced eye to eye because it is so much more compact.

In response to TreCo, last time I visited my brother he spliced a very tight eye (snug on a biner) on one end my newest climbing line and I really will never look back.

Last edited:
Sherrill's Grissly-Splice on 10mm BeeLine = very compact + everthing is inspectable, all the time.

media.nl

Is the BeeLine the stuff that does not melt easily, such as during a descent?

Yup. I like the bee-line the best. Ice is ok, but i don't think it holds up quit as well as the bee line, but is alot softer also. I've also used ultra-tech too and works pretty good, but don't have alot of time on it.

Yup. I like the bee-line the best. Ice is ok, but i don't think it holds up quit as well as the bee line, but is alot softer also. I've also used ultra-tech too and works pretty good, but don't have alot of time on it.

How long should I have my prussic made? I would just measure my current one but I'm not home.

How long should I have my prussic made? I would just measure my current one but I'm not home.

30" is considered the "norm", but some prefer 28". I will say that my Ice is 28" (actually 27" when measured) and it's a bit more of a struggle to tie than the 30" ones.

What knots do climbers usually use to make the eyes in the two ends of prusik cordage? Thannks.

Assuming you are tying a french prussik why not just buy a decent length of beeline and make your own cords with dfl or tfl for terminations? I cannot ever see me buying precut lengths of beeline let alone prespliced. What happens when it rains? Or if you use someone elses climbing line? Both situations require a different number of wraps unless you happen to like sliding down faster than you can climb up.....

Assuming you are tying a french prussik why not just buy a decent length of beeline and make your own cords with dfl or tfl for terminations? I cannot ever see me buying precut lengths of beeline let alone prespliced. What happens when it rains? Or if you use someone elses climbing line? Both situations require a different number of wraps unless you happen to like sliding down faster than you can climb up.....

Not to sound like an idiot but what is a tfl?

dfl = double fishermans loop.
tfl = triple fishermans loop.

Same knot with one extra turn.

There is nothing idiotic about asking a question. True fools say nothing so as to appear clever and end up decieving only themselves.

Yea, or getting themselves killed. I look at dying as pretty permanent.

Plas, all you should be worried about right at this point is the good old taughtline. Latter when you actually have some clue wtf yer doing in the tree, you can start playing around with the fancy stuff.

Cool. Looks less likely to come undone than an anchor hitch.

True, but i can tie an anchor hitch in a matter of seconds with my eyes closed. I have yet to have an issue with an anchor hitch, so there fore that will be my termination knot. It's almost idiot proof and very easy to check. The anchor hitch, bowline and running bowline are the knots i use the most, but i use others.

True, but i can tie an anchor hitch in a matter of seconds with my eyes closed. I have yet to have an issue with an anchor hitch, so there fore that will be my termination knot. It's almost idiot proof and very easy to check. The anchor hitch, bowline and running bowline are the knots i use the most, but i use others.

I like the anchor too, however TMD, whom I have the utmost respect for, does not think it's totally bomber...I mean, I guess it's just so simple it almost looks like there's not enough there for it to really work!

FYI, definition of "bomber" on this page: http://www.camp4.com/rock/index.php?newsid=202

It is a super simple knot, that's for sure. The main reason i like it though is because it is so simple to tie. In a emergency i know i can tie it quickly, with out fault and know that it's going to hold. Might be a dumb reason but i like to keep things as simple as possible.

Latest posts

Back