What makes a GOOD groundman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
I was working with some new groundies the other day. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a list of things that a groundie should know. Something they could take home and peruse at their leisure.
I was gonna try and do it all myself, but I thought I would let the members here add their 2 cents. After the thread winds down, I'll compile them and come up with something.
Try to keep them in numerical order to expedite the compliation later, if ya'll don't mind.
Heres my first submission;

1) Groundmen should ALLWAYS be aware of what the climbers rope is doing. Look for a belly in the rope, tangles, and hang-ups.

Alrighty then... Lets hear it!

How about:

The ground man should look up at the cutter every 15-20 seconds or so whether they hear a chainsaw cutting or not.

always look up at the climber when entering the LZ

make sure you know how many sugars the climber has in tea/coffee:angry:

Originally posted by blue
always look up at the climber when entering the LZ

make sure you know how many sugars the climber has in tea/coffee:angry:

Or how much coffee:blob2: "I'll have the quadshot late with extra camel and soy milk!"

climber groundie

I think the best groundie is another climber on the ground, I climb with a guy who has about 8 years experience. We barely have to talk, although we do discuss options alot. We take turns climbing and sometimes we both climb. Gotta say it rocks

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Or how much coffee:blob2: "I'll have the quadshot late with extra camel and soy milk!"

is that coffee or food for the next NASA mission :D

BRING YOUR BRAIN to work and leave your attitude at home!!!!!!!!

that would go for all employees not just groundies :cool:

Know knots.
Love tress and want to know more.
Be sober, and tell the truth or I'll bomb you on purpose.

Jack:D

Aknowledge the homeowner/customer. Regardless how busy you are (or pretending to be) if the owner shows up in the middle of a job and you know it, at least smile and wave. If you have time reassure them that everything is going fine whether they ask or not. It'll help when they see that you've wrecked their flowers and scratched their fence.:D

This stuff's pretty new to me

Right on, Squirrel. I do all my lowering from up in the tree, and nobody on the ground needs to run a saw ('cept maybe a Silky). That means just about anyone can be my ground guy, start him out stacking and staging brush, and we chip everything in a session as a team. You don't have to know ANYTHING close to rocket science to work with me. Just follow the team's advice, up above, and we'll do really well together

Hustle is nice. Good working attitude is even nicer. Bring your own lunch. Be alert and careful. Accidents are dealt with by flogging. -TM-

Belly in the rope. What do you want them to do with this belly pull it out? I hope not. You pull my belly out I'm gonna get pissed. I hate all the weight on my rope. I would have to say just keep it clear of brush and tangle free. A good ground man never keeps the climber waiting. Dont ever start limbing up a piece and not untie the rope and give it back to climber. Don't hold the climber up. Don't stand there and stare at the climber its not a circus its a job. Don't soft lock pieces up in the air. Don't try and move 1000 pound pieces while they are up in the air on hanging on the rope. You wont get them far just put the ???? down and keep going. Don't get my saws dull especially if I am going to need one of them later. Don't put my climbing line through the chipper or cut it. Tie tools on so they can be untied and taken off easily in an order. Run when I say headache cause If and when I do say it I mean it. Don't come under the tree when I am sliceing and chucking cause I am not stoping. Always take a wrap on the same tree we are removing. If there is a porta wrap set up use it never say ahh its not that big I got it and if you do and I can I will send you for a ride. Always be ready and pull the top line out of the way so a notch can be made. Keep a steady pull don't pretend your pulling and not be. My guys do this all time. Your cutting and end up cutting a bit too far cause they weren't even pulling at all. You know it will go and they're pulling so you think so you keep cutting. When working down a spar untie the lowering line tie a knot and send it back. The rope is alot lighter single line to work with and don't have to guess what side to pull up. Don't trump down the customers bushes and flowers and lower brush ontop of them on purpose. Put the gas and oil caps on tight.

Thats about all I can think of for now. I'm getting worked up just thinking about the bad groundies.

A good groundman is in command of the drop zone. Keeping pedestrians out and alerting the climber when anyone or vehicles are approaching.

Along with the being professional entry I'd add specific points. Cause if you don't spell it out, they may not get it. No use of profanity, no derogatory comments about anyone. No leaving garbage in the yard, that includes cigarette butts.

A good groundman always puts tools back on the truck right where they found them, and doesn't leave doors on the truck open.

A good groundman has a valid drivers license :rolleyes:

Re: This stuff's pretty new to me

Originally posted by Tree Machine
Right on, Squirrel. I do all my lowering from up in the tree, and nobody on the ground needs to run a saw ('cept maybe a Silky). That means just about anyone can be my ground guy, start him out stacking and staging brush, and we chip everything in a session as a team. You don't have to know ANYTHING close to rocket science to work with me. Just follow the team's advice, up above, and we'll do really well together

Hustle is nice. Good working attitude is even nicer. Bring your own lunch. Be alert and careful. Accidents are dealt with by flogging. -TM-

Cool! You just gave me 9, 10 and 11!

This might be more work than I envisioned! ;)

Big John, you gave me 12, 13, and 14.

ORClimber, 15, 16, and 17.

:)

Last edited:
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I had a job today doing a removal for a landscraper, I've only climbed for him once before but the previous time was just some light pruning. He told me he figured it would take 5-6 hours for me, and he had $300 budgeted for the climber. He said he could handle the roping for me but I suggested I bring my own groundman and pay him out of my $300. He was fine with that so Steve and I put that tree on the ground in 2:15. 80% of the canopy was roped down so I needed someone I could TRUST on the rope. Steve kept the landscrapers from walking into my landing zone and kept the ropes away from their chainsaws.

If I had let the landscrapers handle the ropes, it would have taken me 6 hours to remove the tree and EVERYBODY would have known how unhappy I would have been. Instead I walked in less than 2 1/2 hours with everybody happy because I had an excellent groundman.

Nice post, Brian. That is exactly why I started this thread.

#19 If I point at the corner bus stop and say bye, you just screwed up big time, do not ask why , do not ask about pay, just go.;)

For #4 I would add be able to tie and UNTIE knots with out the use of knives, keys, screwdrivers, or :eek: teeth.

Back