What makes someone a logger ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pat.jpg
this is what I could find... logger-head all the way .... no timber left here. lol

a person engaged in harvesting timber. Be it felling, yarding, hauling, processing, or the poor sob that runs the company and signs the checks. From stump to mill.

Some folks might consider milling to be logging, I think that would be considered a sawyer, or just grunt labor. But I might be biased, grew up in mill town, and it seemed like the folks that worked at the mill where far less interesting then the folks that worked in the woods.

Someone who makes all or a significant portion of their less-than-pathetic income from logging.

Why do loggers like to be out in the woods away from civilization and in the elements day in and day out?

So they can hear the wind blow through the holes in their heads!

Party on...

Out typical you'll find a logger with a dip in his lip once in a blue a smoke hanging out, Friday afternoon found at the bar, up at midnight during the week, can Jerry rig with the best of them, covered in mud, and oh course cusses more then a sailor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Out typical you'll find a logger with a dip in his lip once in a blue a smoke hanging out, Friday afternoon found at the bar, up at midnight during the week, can Jerry rig with the best of them, covered in mud, and oh course cusses more then a sailor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Guess I'm A-typical.

Cut n skid timber. And usually lots of it. Buy 30 gallons of bar oil when it's on sale. Buy saw chain in feet. Good at wrenching and problem solving. Knows how to save out timber without any fancy ******** rigging. Gets up at 4 drives an hour or two to get to work. Swears when it's necessary (which it usually is). Has a few beers to unwind at night and to ease the aches and pains. Always working on more efficient production. Curses the sun in the winter. Praises it in the summer. Absolutely loves those few beautiful weeks in may and October when it's comfortable enough to really enjoy laying a **** ton of timber out. Knows how to keep the truckers coming back. Knows how to keep the mills happy and in turn they keep him happy. Knows how to work with foresters and landowners and knows when you sometimes have to eat it a little to keep your reputation good to keep the work coming. Sharpens chains, welds, fixes saws, skidder, whatever at night until it's fixed. Wakes up the next day and does it all again.

I used to cut roads and drag logs with that old jd skidder 25 years ago ,that pic was taken the other day ,it has had several engine rebuilds ,clutches ,axles ,gears and i do not know how many hyrdo hoses replaced in the last 30 years ,the log loader in the back of an old truck is common around here for small outfits so they do not have to lowboy a shovel to the job to keep costs down .

I liked using this also about 10 years ago
shovel 037.jpg

I am not a logger though .

not personally. I fell for the heel boom but the truck was bigger:drinkingcoffee:. Heel boom is not the fastest as well limited for ho chucking from what i see. i think a digging bucket with a thumb. you can dig out stumps. dig/pull your way up top the banks and make slides to chuck on to. a clam is good for some things. I don't consider myself a logger. Over 100 yrs ago in Canada a faller was a lumberjack and by the second half of the 20 century it was changed to a logger. Early definition of; [Logger:] The one who does the felling of the trees. nowadays loggers usually work for a different company and are addicted to coffee and bullsht. they work these long crazy hours and like to huddle in the same little bunk room speaking at the top of their lungs a mile a minute with the door open.

That is a tall girl indeed!

To me a logger is the one felling the trees.
That was the original definition.
These days though, 10% of salvage and merchable timber is hand felled in British Columbia anually. This is only because it can't be felled mechanically. Alberta, it's probably 100% feller buncind. 90% of fallers have only fell on fires, beetle control or danger tree removal such as Seismic lines or pipelines in gas & oil industry. So are fallers loggers?

I'll put up some pictures.

"Logger or not a logger"

Pipeline North East BC Alaska HWY. Jan 2017
Spruce deck. Mechanical logging.
Only 'danger trees are latter hand felled.
So who is the Logger?

20170123_145908.jpg high Climber below. Is he a logger?20170316_180654.jpg

In Sweden pretty much all logging is done with harvesters and forwarders, but that to me doesn't mean that we have to keep calling them loggers.
The way I see it loggers are becoming quite rare :)

Edit: what I mean by that is that we need to find a new title for the modern loggers. Just like loggers replaced lumberjacks at some point.

Latest posts

Back