What makes the ms361 so great?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya not much compresion these days a big bore kit might be in the works. At least dont have to tighten all the nuts up after i run it for the day.

See the 361 is great because its built like a Husky. Some Stihl engineer probably romanced the plans out from under some geeky female Husky engineer...

Sure, but the rip-off artists were smart enough to make a lighter saw, with an inboard clutch, and more metal in the construction (recoil side). :)

They also got the anti-vibe right on the 361, another rip-off - LOL.

Last edited:
Hate to burst your bubble, but ANY saw would run with the light scoring yours has. It is nothing special that your Stihl with a poorly manfactured piston still runs. Most saws run their best right before they blow up

very well. bubble bursting not a problem. you will notice that it was phrased as a question. i would assume that they run best at the end because they are loose, and therefor fast?

and as for that 'geeky female engineer' from husky.....
don't they got any gigolos up there in scadinavia?

When the 361 first came out in our shop, I took one out to the woods and ran it head-to-head with a brand new 359 on the landing of a small wood logging job. With both saws stock- I preferred the 359. After modding both saws, I preferred the 361. A stock 361 is a dog.

What I want to know is what warrants the 361 costing $150-200 more than the competition?

What I want to know is what warrants the 361 costing $150-200 more than the competition?

It doesn't usually, only in some places - over here it is cheaper than the 359, and waaay cheaper than the 357xp.

Without heated handles, it is way cheaper than the 346xp as well - with them they are about the same, but only when the 346xpg is "on sale".

It is all about price policy - very little to do with real cost of manufacture.....

Last edited:
hav'nt tried a husky but I sure like my 361. cuts awesome and good on gas.I'm sorry to say it has not improved my lovelife.Maybe if my wife tries it?:monkey:

I think it is a fine saw but as far as the best is questionable!
To a stihl head it probably is but I don't feel they are worth
too much more than any small saw in a pro lineup. I never use
anything smaller than a 372 on the ground, why ---- around!

I'd consider it if they offered it as an 'R' version with long clutch cover, wrap handle and double spikes...but the conversion kit is another $125 on top of a $610 saw (if you pay MSRP). $725...yeah right.

I'd consider it if they offered it as an 'R' version with long clutch cover, wrap handle and double spikes...but the conversion kit is another $125 on top of a $610 saw (if you pay MSRP). $725...yeah right.

If you need that, you also need a larger saw, imo.....:greenchainsaw:

The 361 is a nimble allround saw for the avarage firewood cutter, not a PNW felling saw.

It also really shines as a fast limbing saw, and bucking up to about 18" wood, with a 15" bar and an 8-pin rim at a tad over 14,000rpm (or a bit more) - and that is stock......

The 361 is really light for its power, but not with the add-ons that you mention.

Last edited:
From everything I've read and seen about the 361 is that it's a perfect all around saw. If a person needs to buy only one saw and want one to last them a very long time the 361 is what you buy. Anti vib features plus tons of power. That's why MS 361 is the right answer to every question from Stihl heads :cheers:

this is what i have been saying. the 361 is the pefect homeownersaw. it does little for most pros, just not the right size for the job.

$600 LoL! :confused:

the saw does not live up to the hype stock.

this is what i have been saying. the 361 is the pefect homeownersaw. it does little for most pros, just not the right size for the job.

$600 LoL! :confused:

the saw does not live up to the hype stock.

It sure does, with some margin - but I agree most buyers probably are not pros......:greenchainsaw:

Back