What porting tools are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think i only saw one angle head in the bunch in that feebay listing.

Wonder how much it costs to rebuild those heads?
probably not cheap, as it'll be considered (and likely priced) as a medical item.

looks like they're fabricating shop vs a dentist office
so a lot heaver usage
and under dryer, grittier conditions than when used in someones mouth.
-
Dozerdan:
Those motors bear an awfully strong resemblance to old sewing machine motors.
same era and likely same technology.
(probably a universal [ brush type] motor, as it gives better torque)
internally, the old foot controllers were generally just a wiper type rheostat
( equivalent of a big, wirewound variable resistor ) No frequency related stuff to them.
and maybe adjustment on return spring tension in some fancier ones..

The amp draw is right in there with a sewing machine
So I'd take a look around for sewing pedals if you dont find what you want in the dental stuff.

Heck, you might take a look at the controler for that harbor freight flex drive grinder
But I don't think it's rated at enough current.

=
need to ask my dentist what went with all that old cord driven stuff of his dads.
probably all sold been by now though.

think i only saw one angle head in the bunch in that feebay listing.

Wonder how much it costs to rebuild those heads?
probably not cheap, as it'll be considered (and likely priced) as a medical item.

looks like they're fabricating shop vs a dentist office
so a lot heaver usage
and under dryer, grittier conditions than when used in someones mouth.
-
Dozerdan:
Those motors bear an awfully strong resemblance to old sewing machine motors.
same era and likely same technology.
(probably a universal [ brush type] motor, as it gives better torque)
internally, the old foot controllers were generally just a wiper type rheostat
( equivalent of a big, wirewound variable resistor ) No frequency related stuff to them.
and maybe adjustment on return spring tension in some fancier ones..

The amp draw is right in there with a sewing machine
So I'd take a look around for sewing pedals if you dont find what you want in the dental stuff.

Heck, you might take a look at the controler for that harbor freight flex drive grinder
But I don't think it's rated at enough current.

=
need to ask my dentist what went with all that old cord driven stuff of his dads.
probably all sold been by now though.

I have never bothered to have the head repaired, you can pick them up rather cheap on feebay. I picked up one new one for 25.00. Just do a search for contra angle. Here is one the shows the rear of the hand piece. If it looks like this one on the rear, they will work.

Henry Schein 210A 210 A Contra Angle Dental Handpiece Hand Piece Used Condition | eBay

I am running a singer foot control on mine now. All that I had to do was change the power cord as the singer was way short. I use mine standing at a work bench and the singer had a short cord for use in the sitting position.

I asked the local retired dentist about his old drill. He told me he used it at home for a dremel tool. He passed away and his children had a yard sale. I inquired about the drill and the burs and they said they tossed that old thing in the dumpster. The dumpster was gone.

Later
Dan

Stop calling me mister or I will call you the same name that I have for Terry. LOL

Did you make a carb tool yet?

Later
Dan

No Dan......I've not needed one since we talked. I will though......believe that.

Hey Dan-

What size is the collet on those dental drills?

1/32" on the ones I have like that.

Hey Dan-

What size is the collet on those dental drills?

The call them 3/32 but the shaft measures a little less at .090. There are the latch type bur.

You can also use the friction grip straight one that are long and they fit in the straight hand piece. They will reach down the transfer ports on most saws cylinders.

I picked up 2000 burs from feebay down under a few years ago for 50.00.

I also use the Moores discs for beveling the ports. Emery is the only ones that I use.

Later
Dan

The call them 3/32 but the shaft measures a little less at .090. There are the latch type bur.

You can also use the friction grip straight one that are long and they fit in the straight hand piece. They will reach down the transfer ports on most saws cylinders.

I picked up 2000 burs from feebay down under a few years ago for 50.00.

I also use the Moores discs for beveling the ports. Emery is the only ones that I use.

Later
Dan

Hey JJ

While I am in the sharing mood, here is another high tech tool that I use for polishing the exhaust ports.

Just use a piece of 1/4" round stock, slot it with your hacksaw, fold your emery cloth in half, chuck it up in your die grinder had have at it. Keep going finer with the cloth.View attachment 279918View attachment 279919

Hey JJ

While I am in the sharing mood, here is another high tech tool that I use for polishing the exhaust ports.

Just use a piece of 1/4" round stock, slot it with your hacksaw, fold your emery cloth in half, chuck it up in your die grinder had have at it. Keep going finer with the cloth.

You shared that tip years ago Dan, and I actually made two of those, one with just some wood round stock and one from an old broken screwdriver.

You're right and I'm a dumbass. :D

Yeah, but you're the right kind of dumbass. :rock:

You shared that tip years ago Dan, and I actually made two of those, one with just some wood round stock and one from an old broken screwdriver.

Yeah, but you're the right kind of dumbass. :rock:

I turned an old bolt shank down in the lathe so it would fit in my Foredom then sawed a split in it...... :msp_thumbup:

Don't you guys polish the exhaust in the same direction or grain as the gasses are leaving? Using a flapper or emry on a shaft will interupt the flow of exhaust.

Don't you guys polish the exhaust in the same direction or grain as the gasses are leaving? Using a flapper or emry on a shaft will interupt the flow of exhaust.

My final finish is with steel wool......it's pretty slick.

I don't do any porting, but I have used a 1/4" roll pin with emory cloth in a die grinder for other things, they work great. Pre slotted and all :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back