what pump do i need??? splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to build a splitter and use junk to make it but if i had to buy anything i would buy the best in order to end up with a good unit.
so far i have a proper controll that i see on most splitters and a new honda 5.5 hp motor.
the steel is ready and i need a tank ram and pump.
I wanted to buy a pump that is 2 stage but i see they have different kinds mounted to a 5 hp compared to a 13 hp.
I thought i could get one for a 13 hp and use it for now on my 5.5 hp .
then i am also thinking i dont need a 13 hp motor as my biggest piece of wood i am ever gonna split is no bigger than 12 inches thick by 16 inches long.
so do i just by a small 2 stage that i see mounted to 5.5s ???
my ram will be the standard one they sell for splitters .

shayne

If you are dead set on using a 5.5hp motor, you are for sure going to need to use an 11gpm pump.

A 13hp engine can run a 26gpm pump, but a 5.5 probably wouldnt even start with that pump on it. Rule of thumb is 1/2 horse for every gpm.

You are also going to need to use a 2 stage pump. That is the beauty of the 2 stage pump, the ability to use a lower horse motor.

go with a bigger engine. in the long run, you'll be happy you did.

as with any home built splitter, you'll have to design your own pump-to-engine mount.

mga said:
go with a bigger engine. in the long run, you'll be happy you did.

as with any home built splitter, you'll have to design your own pump-to-engine mount.

Local TSC sells the smaller pump to engine mounts. Northern tool has them for every engine make and pump size.

Sure is nice to see others asking the same questions I did, and people willing to help. I just need to know where to buy the time to finish my splitter. :laugh:

Merry Christmas all!! :cheers:

CaseyForrest said:
Local TSC sells the smaller pump to engine mounts. Northern tool has them for every engine make and pump size.

i used a vertical shaft 18hp engine on my splitter. there are no threaded holes in the case to mount anything other than to bolt the engine to the frame.

I think every homemade splitter I have seen around this part of Kansas with a vertical shaft setup doesnt physically attach the pump to the engine. Most make a mount that spaces the pump the appropriate distance away from the engine dictated by the coupler, attaching the pump mount to either the beam, or the axle of the splitter. Just the way I have seen them made around here.

mga said:
i used a vertical shaft 18hp engine on my splitter. there are no threaded holes in the case to mount anything other than to bolt the engine to the frame.

Maybe thats the difference, the brackets Im used to seeing are only for horizontal mounting.....

CaseyForrest said:
Maybe thats the difference, the brackets Im used to seeing are only for horizontal mounting.....

the engine was free. it came off of a lawn tractor, so i had to compromise.

i would have liked to have a horizontal shaft engine. would have made things much easier when building it. but, beggars can't be choosey. the trailer was a free boat trailer i altered to suit. the H beam came as a payment for some work, the tank my son made and some other parts came from various sources. cylinder, control valve, hoses, filter i bought.

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/mga_01/?

Last edited:
I have an 18 hp vertical shaft motor on mine and I made an adapter plate to use the Kohler pump mount from Surplus Center. You can get the pump mount other places but they were the cheapest. Basically laid out the holes for the motor and the pump mount on a piece of 3/8" plate and counter sunk the holes for the pump mount and used 7/16" counter sunk head bolts (Fastenal). I tacked them in so they act like studs.

You can see it on the right of the pic. I attached.

The reason you probably see so many vertical shaft motors on home made splitter is 1. they are cheaper to buy $100-300+ depending on size and brand 2. A lot of splitters are made from old riding lawn mowers that the motor was probably the most durable thing on the mower.

I was orginally going to get a 13hp Honda but when I stumbled on a new 18hp Intek V-twin for less than half the cost of the Honda I jumped at that. It did cost me more for the pump 28 gpm vs 22 gpm.

Don

Mga, nice design on your splitter in respect to using what you have, or can get cheaply. With credit given where due, I may "borrow" an idea or two from your pictures as I try to get mine finished.

:clap:

Time for sale

Bowtie said:
Sure is nice to see others asking the same questions I did, and people willing to help. I just need to know where to buy the time to finish my splitter. :laugh:

Merry Christmas all!! :cheers:

Bowtie, I'll sell you 2 hours of my time for $2000. If I can sell enough of it, I can pay for Christmas!

Millman

Bowtie said:
Mga, nice design on your splitter in respect to using what you have, or can get cheaply. With credit given where due, I may "borrow" an idea or two from your pictures as I try to get mine finished.

:clap:

thanks. i was on a strict budget when building the thing. by the way, the mounting "poles" for the filter and gas tank came off of some exercise equipment someone was throwing out...lol

SWI Don said:
I have an 18 hp vertical shaft motor on mine and I made an adapter plate to use the Kohler pump mount from Surplus Center. You can get the pump mount other places but they were the cheapest. Basically laid out the holes for the motor and the pump mount on a piece of 3/8" plate and counter sunk the holes for the pump mount and used 7/16" counter sunk head bolts (Fastenal). I tacked them in so they act like studs.

You can see it on the right of the pic. I attached.

The reason you probably see so many vertical shaft motors on home made splitter is 1. they are cheaper to buy $100-300+ depending on size and brand 2. A lot of splitters are made from old riding lawn mowers that the motor was probably the most durable thing on the mower.

I was orginally going to get a 13hp Honda but when I stumbled on a new 18hp Intek V-twin for less than half the cost of the Honda I jumped at that. It did cost me more for the pump 28 gpm vs 22 gpm.

Don

WOW!!!

Do you get your steel for free? That puppy looks like it will withstand a Nuclear Blast!!!!! I used 1/4 inch place for most of mine an then made the push plate assembly out of 3/8...... NICE WORK!!!

Woodtick

No, most of it cost 0.20 / lb from the local metal recycler. The beam itself was $100. So unfortunately it was not free. The beam is a W8x48, slide is made of 3/4 and 1" plate cut from plate end cast offs. There is a log lift and 4 way wedge in the plans but that is phase 2. I had to get something splitting for this fall and that meant getting the basic splitter going first.

For what I have in it so far I could have bought a new hor/vert. splitter from TSC, Swisher, Brave, Iron & Oak, etc but I wanted the performance of a TW-5 / Tw-7 Timberwolf.

I built a base frame and put a 2000# trailer axle kit under it so I can pull it down the road any speed I want. I worked up the basic design in SolidWorks and have attached a pic of the basic layout when it's done.

Don

home made log splitter

i built my own logg splitter,,it has a 14 hp kohler- electric clutch ..belt driven..the pump came off an old john deer combine...anybody have any idea what gpm the pump might be??

Back