What Regions of Country Like Scrapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotajax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In PA, it seems to be a big favorite. A Pennsylvania Dutch tradition. Any of you other guys see it where you live? Highly dependent on the recipe, there sure are some crappy recipes for it. But once in a while, you run into a great one.

It is available in supermarkets here in the northeast so there must be a bit of a demand. Similar but more common here is Creton aka Gorton or Tortiere. A French-Canadian pork spread. It is usually served on toast with or without mustard and/or relish. Hearty stuff.

Cretons de Chez-Nous! Recipe | Allrecipes

It is available in supermarkets here in the northeast so there must be a bit of a demand. Similar but more common here is Creton aka Gorton or Tortiere. A French-Canadian pork spread. It is usually served on toast with or without mustard and/or relish. Hearty stuff.

Cretons de Chez-Nous! Recipe | Allrecipes
Pork spread. New to me. Is it a liver type of spread?

Love scrapple. Has to come from a butcher. One of the few things I miss about living on a farm. Every year fresh scrapple when the hogs went out for butcher. I have a few guys I work with that still get it made. Pan fired in bacon grease with molasses syrup on top. Better have a good crust on it as well. Theres also what the older guys refer to as puddings. I've never had it, but it's supposed to be akin to scrapple. I think it has corn or rice in it.

Love scrapple. Has to come from a butcher. One of the few things I miss about living on a farm. Every year fresh scrapple when the hogs went out for butcher. I have a few guys I work with that still get it made. Pan fired in bacon grease with molasses syrup on top. Better have a good crust on it as well. Theres also what the older guys refer to as puddings. I've never had it, but it's supposed to be akin to scrapple. I think it has corn or rice in it.
Sean: That sounds delicious. I think I'll try it tomorrow. I get scrapple about 15 minutes away from Cabelas in Hamburg, PA. It comes from a place called Dietrich's, and it's really good. The best I've had, although I'll bet some farmers can make wicked scrapple. Where in PA are you from? I'm in Bucks County.

Sean: That sounds delicious. I think I'll try it tomorrow. I get scrapple about 15 minutes away from Cabelas in Hamburg, PA. It comes from a place called Dietrich's, and it's really good. The best I've had, although I'll bet some farmers can make wicked scrapple. Where in PA are you from? I'm in Bucks County.
I live in Lebanon. Mt Wilson near Colebrook. Actually just over the hill from weabers saw mil, if tou know where that's at. About an hour give or take from cabelas. Used to run up to the u-pull it up there quite often, then we got one down closer to me in grebal (spelling may be off) same owner as the one up your way.

I live in Lebanon. Mt Wilson near Colebrook. Actually just over the hill from weabers saw mil, if tou know where that's at. About an hour give or take from cabelas. Used to run up to the u-pull it up there quite often, then we got one down closer to me in grebal (spelling may be off) same owner as the one up your way.
I know Lebanon, but not Mt. Wilson or Colebrook. Is a u-pull it a used parts place?

Dietrich's is 10 minutes away from Cabelas...get it directly from them in the future.

Back in the 1970s and '80s I raised and butchered my own hogs. Made scrapple quite often. One of the best breakfast foods ever. I made some one time in recent years with pork trimmings from the store, but it's hard to get motivated for that sort of thing unless the natural product presents itself.

Tried store-bought one time . . . not worth flip.

Like Sean says, you want a crisp brown edge on it coming from the frying pan.

Back in the 1970s and '80s I raised and butchered my own hogs. Made scrapple quite often. One of the best breakfast foods ever. I made some one time in recent years with pork trimmings from the store, but it's hard to get motivated for that sort of thing unless the natural product presents itself.

Tried store-bought one time . . . not worth flip.

Like Sean says, you want a crisp brown edge on it coming from the frying pan.

Ralph and Paul Adams. RAPA.

If you don't like it, you don't like scrapple.

I don't doubt for a minute that your homemade is excellent, too.

Back