What should I charge, many variables.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Hur

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New to the trade.
customer wants around 15 logs 16”-20” 8 ft long removed from backyard along with brush. It’s tight space to get through before it opens up.
Where the trash cans are is where the path goes back to the logs. Creek right behind the logs. Won’t be easy so with all the different variables I wasn’t sure what to charge.
its 30 min drive 1 way I have a big enough trailer to get it 1 load. Also have a winch and saws.
Anyone with experience have any advise on quoting would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 6931C41F-6406-4D9A-997D-669B6E159D2C.jpeg
    6931C41F-6406-4D9A-997D-669B6E159D2C.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
  • B777AD50-D5EE-4B72-8743-E6567ACB3D85.jpeg
    B777AD50-D5EE-4B72-8743-E6567ACB3D85.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 87DDF066-073A-4B87-B1C9-A0BD412C2648.jpeg
    87DDF066-073A-4B87-B1C9-A0BD412C2648.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • E12CA0CB-0617-4D3A-90B9-9C10EAC92423.jpeg
    E12CA0CB-0617-4D3A-90B9-9C10EAC92423.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 51935A2A-47A8-478E-996B-6F404C75C96B.jpeg
    51935A2A-47A8-478E-996B-6F404C75C96B.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 28
I would charge $600-800 here. I also have a mini skid, dump trailer, and dump truck. My total time on this would be about 2-3 hours depending on where I had to go dump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would charge $600-800 here. I also have a mini skid, dump trailer, and dump truck. My total time on this would be about 2-3 hours depending on where I had to go dump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay cool I was thinking $600 but it would take me longer than 3 hours for sure. My plan would be to back trailer right at trash cans and winch the logs all the way up if it doesn’t damage the shrubs to much. Not much choice. Thanks for the replay I feel better about what to charge now.

In the top right picture Of logs is the biggest log sweet gum?

New to the trade.
customer wants around 15 logs 16”-20” 8 ft long removed from backyard along with brush. It’s tight space to get through before it opens up.
Where the trash cans are is where the path goes back to the logs. Creek right behind the logs. Won’t be easy so with all the different variables I wasn’t sure what to charge.
its 30 min drive 1 way I have a big enough trailer to get it 1 load. Also have a winch and saws.
Hourly rate with a minimum. If it were me I'd rent a tracked loader to get the logs out of the yard. If client squawks remind them that you are present as the agent to serve but did not plant the mess others created. Are the logs marketable to a mill? I've heard the market for RR ties is way down. Last June we (three men and a log truck with driver nd grapple) did a property makeover in one month to fell 16 big trees, grind 19 stumps, hauled 23 debris loads in a hydraulic trailer, blew leaf accumulation (3 years of leaves) to a hollow with two backpack blowers, sent 47 logs to two sawmills on a hauler truck then cleaned up for $6,500 total.

Okay cool I was thinking $600 but it would take me longer than 3 hours for sure. My plan would be to back trailer right at trash cans and winch the logs all the way up if it doesn’t damage the shrubs to much. Not much choice. Thanks for the replay I feel better about what to charge now.
But, you do have a choice. Rent the right equipment to make the job go well safely and quickly and make the client pay the rental fee. You are the worker, the agent of change entitled to make a profit you are entitled to.

New to the trade.
If you plan to send the logs to a mill for ties check the measurement to make sure they are 8'4" or more. if they are too short you'll be on the losing end.

But, you do have a choice. Rent the right equipment to make the job go well safely and quickly and make the client pay the rental fee. You are the worker, the agent of change entitled to make a profit you are entitled to.
Thanks for the guidance, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

If you plan to send the logs to a mill for ties check the measurement to make sure they are 8'4" or more. if they are too short you'll be on
If you plan to send the logs to a mill for ties check the measurement to make sure they are 8'4" or more. if they are too short you'll be on the losing end.
I sell firewood to a company in Atlanta. So I will split all the wood I get.

I'm $1,275 on that deal. People bringing out equipment and charging chump change of $500-$600 for a job like that is what has gone wrong with this whole deal after the rest of us finally got it right back about 25 years ago before all the newbies moved on the scene. *******, if you have to ask what to quote on some internet tree forum you are screwed up to start with.

I'm $1,275 on that deal. People bringing out equipment and charging chump change of $500-$600 for a job like that is what has gone wrong with this whole deal after the rest of us finally got it right back about 25 years ago before all the newbies moved on the scene. *******, if you have to ask what to quote on some internet tree forum
I'm $1,275 on that deal. People bringing out equipment and charging chump change of $500-$600 for a job like that is what has gone wrong with this whole deal after the rest of us finally got it right back about 25 years ago before all the newbies moved on the scene. *******, if you have to ask what to quote on some internet tree forum you are screwed up to start with.
Oh you must have never been a noob at one point, you just started out first day knowing everything, never had to ask question, never made mistakes, just mr fukin perfect. Not everyone is blessed at knowing everything

My saw still bigger than yoursLol

You should charge according to estimated time, equipment used, number of crews, and additional tasks performed. Do that for all your jobs and you will not have any issues.

Latest posts

Back