What should I do with this poor looking soul?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqy254xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Quick question. I have this tree at the bottom of my garden that a conifer has been allowed to grow up through. It is a bit of a sorry state often only producing random branches of leaves in the summer.

I cut back branches that were doing nothing last year and removed some scraggly bits. I also cut the conifer out about mid way up and managed to pull it out by pulling it down in big section, I will remove the rest of the conifer from within the tree over the next month or so.

The main question is what should I do with this tree to try and give it the best chance and actually see some decent growth from it? Also can anyone tell what it is from the images I have posted? It produces fairly small flat leaves, quite soft.

Interestingly I like the privacy the conifer provides, so I don't want to loose all of it but will happily remove the stuff in the way of the tree as it's clearly having a detrimental effect on it.

Thanks

20180123_151604_resized.jpg 20180123_151550_resized.jpg 20180123_151627_resized.jpg 20180123_151618_resized.jpg

I wouldn't advise keeping both in the same space where they compete for resources such as light and water not to mention praise - why, because if neither one is going to really thrive and achieve good health you'll still have an eyesore. Decision time!
Leylandii recovers well from moderate reduction, but they get grumpy if you take them down to a stump. If you desire something low and light there, then I suggest it's actually a different tree (or shrub) that you need instead. Whip it out and install an Azara microphylla or similar light-textured evergreen. That Azara is tougher than the books say (York County Council recommends it as a north-waller). Be careful of the Cherry roots when the conifer comes out; the least invasive method is the one to use.
I'd suggest you give the Cherry a season of me-time if it's the tree you'll choose to keep, before you book it in for major surgery to repair its outline. They are rather disease-prone and must be in good shape to heal over pruning wounds. Looks like it has had to see past quite a lot of inept snipping. Get a sound gardener to look it over and ask her advice on care measures to get the cherry growing well. best of luck with it

I wouldn't advise keeping both in the same space where they compete for resources such as light and water not to mention praise - why, because if neither one is going to really thrive and achieve good health you'll still have an eyesore. Decision time!
Leylandii recovers well from moderate reduction, but they get grumpy if you take them down to a stump. If you desire something low and light there, then I suggest it's actually a different tree (or shrub) that you need instead. Whip it out and install an Azara microphylla or similar light-textured evergreen. That Azara is tougher than the books say (York County Council recommends it as a north-waller). Be careful of the Cherry roots when the conifer comes out; the least invasive method is the one to use.
I'd suggest you give the Cherry a season of me-time if it's the tree you'll choose to keep, before you book it in for major surgery to repair its outline. They are rather disease-prone and must be in good shape to heal over pruning wounds. Looks like it has had to see past quite a lot of inept snipping. Get a sound gardener to look it over and ask her advice on care measures to get the cherry growing well. best of luck with it

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes on the inept trimming, just after we moved in here the neighbour at the back hacked away most of it's branches which overhung his garden, guy was using a joinery saw and let a lot of the branches tear and snap through when they came down. Big mess. I took a couple of dead branches off last year and made sure to cut them cleanly - there are some more on his side that do look a bit diseased as they just look well, ill!

It is interesting what BC Wet Coast said above too, re. keep the Leylandii and dump the cherry. I don't know, I would not be totally against inspecting the Cherry and if it looks like it is a bit upset maybe let it go and try and let the Leylandii take over here as it is really the only one offering year round privacy!

Regarding the Leylandii I wasn't thinking of taking it down or totally out, just removing the section which go up into the canopy of the Cherry and to my mind upset it - you can see a couple in the picture I posted.

When you say about the roots, say I opted to have the Cherry or the Leylandii removed, would the roots not just be left with a stump sticking out the ground? Root removal would be very difficult in this location.

Thanks again.

You can guess at how well or ill placed someone is to comment without seeing the context. It might conceivably be correct to call the (very vigorous and ultimately large and unmanageable) conifer an appropriate screening plant in your case. Must be said though that this would be highly unusual. It is the subject of many a dispute between neighbours and some of those involve solicitors. Mostly leylandii is planted when a garden-owner turns to a nurseryman for advice asking for the cheapest option. Gardeners with no financial interest in selling leylandii will always be able to list better screening plants. I have in 35 years only suggested it once for a wind-break on terrible peaty ground.

Never be afraid to put things right. The initial period of time it takes to swap out a bad screening plant for a sensible one will recede in memory but the wrong decision will be with you forever and may cost you dear.

Latest posts

Back