What takes pine tree sap off a chainsaw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The last storm we had here had straight line winds and of course trees were breaking. Well my neighbor to the south had a big pine land on his car and his house:msp_thumbdn:. Three more blew over on his property. He doesnt have a saw to clean up so I offered him a hand. It all went smooth as silk ,besides seeming like the pine was eating up my chain. Now I have in my possesion a dull ,sappy 036 :msp_smile:. It has bits of red shop rag and paper towel stuck to it when I tried to clean the sap off. What cleaner would do the best for cleaning it off. Ive tried dawn dish soap ,and purple cleaner.

Wick lighter fluid AKA Ronsonol like you'd put in your Grandpa's Zippo lighter, which is just petroleum naptha, available in the paint aisle. Might need to look for VM&P Naptha (Varnish Makers and Painters).

I was thinking about trying gas but I didnt know if it would soften thefoam on the hand grip. I didnt even think of goo gone. I think I even have some of that.

When we were cutting Balsa [sp] we would clean the saws at the end of each day with gas. As for the clothes, after a few days you would throw them out and get some more. Never had to worry about wearing out any pants for a few months!!! CJ

Plain old kerosene and some shop rags. Much less volatile than gasoline, lighter fluid, acetone, etc.

Whenever a saw chain is suspected of getting dull, it gets some hits with a file, around here.

wear and tear is the best method. a littler pine sap will not affect the performance of the saw. cant believe some people are so up tight they have to get sap off a chain saw. must be a home owner thing.

Bushwackr, please ignore the slightly incontinent Mr. Yooper as he is the type to shrug his shoulders, and turn his underwear inside out to get another days wear out of them.
My preferred product for removing sap is Citrus Oil based cleaners. They are really good at emulsifying the sap without being volatile, and they don't require the ventilation:dizzy: of flammable fuels or solvents.

Bushwackr, please ignore the slightly incontinent Mr. Yooper as he is the type to shrug his shoulders, and turn his underwear inside out to get another days wear out of them.
My preferred product for removing sap is Citrus Oil based cleaners. They are really good at emulsifying the sap without being volatile, and they don't require the ventilation:dizzy: of flammable fuels or solvents.

another up tight home owner:D

Latest posts

Back