What takes pine tree sap off a chainsaw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bushwackr, please ignore the slightly incontinent Mr. Yooper as he is the type to shrug his shoulders, and turn his underwear inside out to get another days wear out of them.
My preferred product for removing sap is Citrus Oil based cleaners. They are really good at emulsifying the sap without being volatile, and they don't require the ventilation:dizzy: of flammable fuels or solvents.

+1...any good wood worker would know to have a citrus cleaner available for pitch removal on tools/

googone makes an aerosol spray thats pretty good but I noticed that you need to spray and wipe or scrub immediately or it doesn't work but if your quick its great

Baby oil .

300.jpg

Last edited:
Ya'll are really over thinking this; open the fuel cap, stick a folded napkin in, pull out, wipe, replace cap, continue with whatever else you need to do.

Volatility, fumes, citrus oil, baby oil.....save it for the wife......it's chain saw; operating it is dangerous.

Turpentine works pretty good

At work we dissolved rosin with denatured ethyl alcohol so present day gasoline should work well.

When I was a kid, all the pulpwood saws were covered up in pine rosin. Was a sign of hard work.

Think of driving a pulpwood truck with about 2" of rosin stuck on the seat and clumps all around the steering wheel and on the gear shift and peddles. Oh, and no doors.

Turpentine works pretty good

At work we dissolved rosin with denatured ethyl alcohol so present day gasoline should work well.

When I was a kid, all the pulpwood saws were covered up in pine rosin. Was a sign of hard work.

Think of driving a pulpwood truck with about 2" of rosin stuck on the seat and clumps all around the steering wheel and on the gear shift and peddles. Oh, and no doors.
Turpentine is sum good ####, can't seem to find it anymore. Best damn rusty bolt loosener ever, most people don't know dat.
Has the EPA banned it or something , used to be I could get it at the drugstore or hardware. Same thing with liquid glass, can't find it but when we were killin cars for the cash for clunkers program I stocked up.
Thanks uncle sam.

wear and tear is the best method. a littler pine sap will not affect the performance of the saw. cant believe some people are so up tight they have to get sap off a chain saw. must be a home owner thing.

I can't believe I'm writing this but... I agree with Yooper. Pine sap hardens up pretty quickly so I just rub some clean soil on it comes off in a few days. The chain and bar just need to cut a little and the sap will be gone. Just don't cut another pine.

Baby oil kinda works too.

For those out there that gave me a suggestion Thank You :msp_thumbup: . One quick thing for those who dont think its a big deal to clean the sap off. I think of my saws like a fine tuned machine, A little up keep goes a long ways. Its just like washing your car,truck,hauler what have you. You dont clean them when they get dirty? Thanks again

I get some sap spots on my saws and after a while it hardens and is rather stubborn to remove.

On the metal saws, a Popsicle stick seems to break the crust off and then I've used WD-40 to remove the shadow. I suppose gasoline would work better?

I have no experience with Pine, but I had to chunk a bar and chain after cutting Mimosa trees, totally ruined them. I tried everything, even cutting a bunch of oak, nothing worked. It was so bad the chain would hardly turn on the bar. That stuff hardened like epoxy.
No big loss, I was using the MS250 loaner saw to do it, I suspected I was gonna have a problem. I'll never cut another one tho.

+1 for alcohol.......and to clean the saw, actually alcohol's pretty damn good for that too.

I agree--rubbing alcohol is the way to go. Get the stuff that is 90+ percent isopropyl alcohol. I've lived in pine forests for 30 years. During certain times of the year we get pine sap on everything--shoes, carpeting, upholstery (in the truck and the home), dogs, and of course on various tools. If you want to clean it off completely without damaging the item and without leaving any residue, alcohol does the trick. In fact it cleans better than the more toxic alternatives.

Rubbing alcohol rocks as a pine-sap cleaner. :rock:

Doug

Yes, Alcohol should do the trick.

If all else fails,,,Lacquer Thinner! May not have any finish left on the plastic, but it cuts just about anything. Had some road tar on a car once. Used lacquer thinner,,,,,,,,then repainted the fender!! Haha!

Bob

For those out there that gave me a suggestion Thank You :msp_thumbup: . One quick thing for those who dont think its a big deal to clean the sap off. I think of my saws like a fine tuned machine, A little up keep goes a long ways. Its just like washing your car,truck,hauler what have you. You dont clean them when they get dirty? Thanks again

I was reading a thread yesterday about corrosion on saws, and that sap is a major cause of this. If we have nice modern saws we hope will someday be nice older saws, or if we want to keep an 041 or 056M2 in good shape, we might want to consider wiping the sap off occasionally. My 361 has some hardened sap/sawdust on it, and I don't even recall what I was cutting, but I got it new 8 or so years ago, and it works great, and I want it to be in good shape for when my son has to take over the saw duties when I start leaking from all points. due to my case being corroded...:dizzy:

Born in the fifties, have a three year old, gotta think of these things yee haw

Back