what time of year to cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlj

Reaction score
i tryed to cut down a very large maple tree and all the sap is causing my chainsaw to gum up is there a better time of winter to cut this tree

Hi there, when I fell maple in the spring when the sap is running, I have never noticed that the sap caused problems. It actually seemed to aid the whole process.
Sometimes I have felled large maples that were hollow and had several gallons of water come flying from the center of the tree, which gets everything soaked. Your problem may be due to the cutting attachments on the saw.
Hope this helps,
John

if you have a problem with sap put a dash of keroseen in the oil resivor with the oil. it will help to clear out and disolve the pict for the wood. but usuauly me and my dad wait till this time of year or january to cut out wood for the next year. and we have had no problems what so ever in the past 10 years that we have been doing it that way. i also like cutting this time of year cause you do not sweat like hell.

the stihl 325 & new picco chain with the holes in it get all pluged up when sap in running. Talked to stihl about it . Even sent them samples of the little rat turds, that were stuck in the holes. they told me it was red gum euc. My reply was no s&^#. they said it was cause the sap was running.

Howdy,

The water and resins in some trees can be a real problem. The best way around it is to use good sharp chain and a saw large enough to pull good chips. Most of the goop will ride out on the chips and not all over the saw. Of course the little consumer chains just can't do this, and those chains with holes in the parts have got to be some kind of joke. McCulloch put holes in the parts of their 'J' chains many years ago as did Mall. They really filled with chips and goo. Some folks just never learned I guess.

There is a white/grand fir around here that is so bad the logger's call it piss fir. The ugliest has to be palm sap however. If this is left on a chainsaw, it will dissolve aluminum/magnesium castings and make the sawcase look like the worms got to it. The white sap of the rubber tree not only messes up chainsaws, you should see what it does to the log truck! Loggers all over the world fight these problems.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Back