Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with neglected tree, full of large water sprouts?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Hugo Lefrançois, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Hugo Lefrançois

Hugo Lefrançois New Member

Hi there!

I am a landscaper and I do some minor tree work at some of my client's. There's a client of mine who has an apple tree that's been neglected for too long, and it's full of water sprouts that are a few years old already. I am thinking we should get rid of at least a part of them. What would you say about taking them all off, which would mean pruning almost half of the tree crown?

I will come up with pictures.

Thanks!

2. PJM

PJM ArboristSite Operative

Ideally you would wait until late winter to prune and don't take more than 20% of the live crown off in your first pruning. You should put it on a schedule over the next couple of years to work the whole crown over.

3. Hugo Lefrançois

Hugo Lefrançois New Member

Thanks PJM!
    What would you start with? The inside of the crown or the outside? I know the idea is generally to open the inside, but in that case wouldn't it look weird if I cut the inside watersprouts and leave the outside ones? I feel like doing the outside ones first would make it look a little more like a "normal" tree (shapewise).

4. Canyon Angler

Canyon Angler ArboristSite Guru

You want plenty of air inside an apple tree. Main limbs should be spread out. A tight "lollipop" tree shape isn't what you want.

[​IMG]

JeffGu likes this.