What to pair with my MS241? 362CM OR 461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrel2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Great forum you have here. First post for me.

I live in NorCal and use my saws for mostly personal firewood. We have Ponderosa Pine, Cedar, and Assorted oaks. Most stuff stays about 18 to 24 inches but it's not terribly uncommon for me to fell a bigger tree or two.

I'm currently running a MS241 for limbing and small stuff and a MS362cm with a 25" bar for the big stuff.

Now that you have the background, my question is: should I dump my 362 for a used 461 or maybe a 462cm? Is it a good combo for me to run a 40cc and a 70cc?

I feel like my 362 is terribly underpowered sometimes, especially when felling or bucking up the bigger Black Oaks. I picked up the 362 in good condition for 400 and I have my eye on a 2016 461 for about 500.

I wasn't plan on going that big. You don't think a 461 would do the job for me?

Two saw plan for me means:

1)

28"+ wood

Main saw MS661 for falling + bucking
Secondary MS241 for limping

2) smaller wood than 28"

Main saw MS462 for falling + bucking

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A920F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Two saw plan for me means:

1)

28"+ wood

Main saw MS661 for falling + bucking

2) smaller wood than 28"

Main saw MS462 for falling + bucking

By the way I own all 3 that I mentioned

I shoulda specified maybe, no huskies for this fella.

I think I know the right answer, I am just having a hard time pulling the trigger.

You guys think I should keep a 25" setup on the 461/462 most of the time and then keep a 32" full skip hanging around for when if I happen to be working with big wood that day?

I don't have a picture right now, but the 362cm is in pretty good shape, is only a few years old and hasn't been ran too hard. What is a good asking price for PHO?

I don't have a picture right now, but the 362cm is in pretty good shape, is only a few years old and hasn't been ran too hard. What is a good asking price for PHO?
Have you thought about having the 362 ported?

A strong running 362 would probably be what you needed, save you some money too. Eventually leads to a 661, I know how this goes lol.

My vote is a 461. Run a 20" or 24" bar regularly and have a 28" or 32" bar on standby for the times you need a little more.

I have no firsthand time on a 462, but hear they are good saws. But I wouldn't trade a 461 for any other saw on the market at the moment. Period.

I would vote for keeping the two saws you have and buy the 461, a good 3 saw plan! I have a 461 I bought used in great shape recently for 500 with 28” bar and it sports a 25” now with the longer on standby. Pretty reasonable price on that 461 less than half retail. I also have a ms360 plus smaller saws and always find ideal situations to use them all.

I would vote for keeping the two saws you have and buy the 461, a good 3 saw plan! I have a 461 I bought used in great shape recently for 500 with 28” bar and it sports a 25” now with the longer on standby. Pretty reasonable price on that 461 less than half retail. I also have a ms360 plus smaller saws and always find ideal situations to use them all.
I don't see the point in having a 60cc saw and a 70cc saw....unless you just really enjoy owning saws of course...

I'd never stop working to pick up a 60cc saw over a 70cc I had in my hand....they're just too close together. 20cc jumps at minimum IMO. 50, 70, 90.

I agree with some of the other posters 90cc will be the way to go. There is a noticeable difference between 60 and 70 but not enough to justify having both in my opinion. Since you dont like husqvarna a 661 should do the trick or look in the for sale section on here there are sometimes very good deals. If you wanted to come to the dark side a 390xp is a fine implement of deforestation lol.

Don't want to disappoint you but I've got the 241, a 261, a 462 and the 661. The 661 gets used once or twice a year. 362????? I don't have one cause for me it doesn't fit anywhere!!!

Latest posts

Back