What types of wood to use for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NormK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this and I am sure someone has asked before, but bear with me .

I got several acres of woodland and I want to thin it out. I figure if I can sell some of this wood for firewood, why not. I don't have a fireplace myself, but I have friends and coworkers who do. I know that red oak and water oak are okay, but I am not sure about bay tree, black gum, holly, maple (not sure what variety we have in South Alabama) or sweet gum. Is there a chart or something that gives the go/no-go for what types of wood to use for firewood?

Thanks!

I like using any of the tree kind.

[emoji1787]

Different regions are going to use different types of wood so you’ll get a ton of answers but here’s what I generally use the MOST of.

Oak
Maple
Black locust
Cherry

Sometimes cotton wood if it is an easy scrounge.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I’ll link you to a good BTU chart. It doesn’t have every species but has most.

I believe gum is tough to split? We don’t have that around here.

If it’s of a size you don’t have to split, sweet Gunn burns ok, makes tons of ash though. I had some near my house a few years ago that was standing dead, super dry, sap wood all gone, 3”-5” diameter, so I used it. Also good for keeping your stacks of nice wood off the ground! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had cut sweet gum one time could not split it but if I could find more of it I would cut it in a heartbeat smelled great in my house and put good heat to but I never split a big one. Red oak is my favorite but my second locust is easier to find dry if there’s is no live branches

Like many I use what ever I have. At the moment there is available a large amount of softwood so soft wood it is. Hardwood is always better, but more difficult to turn a profit. I am going to try to bundle some white fir at give away prices. Some have actually requested it. Thanks

Back