what wood smells like aniseed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possumtrapper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I deconstructed a pallet today and found some timber that, when cut, smelt like aniseed. The wood looks kind of like palm tree wood. will post a pic soon.

What was the pallet used for? Could aniseed been shipped on it or something else like candy?

Had a stamp on it from a NZ door maker so picking it was salvaged scrap then made into a pallet? Then had something put on it, maybe a door, and sent to our version of home depot. Didn't smell until I cut it on the table saw.

I don't know about aniseed but one of my favourites smells while milling comes from small Australian Marri logs which smell like Corona beer.
Just did some digging and the door co is Aussie owned. Have emailed them but I'm picking it's some kind of Aust or Indo palm tree?Or maybe norfolk? It looks a bit like norfolk but I have never smelt it fresh.

Looks to me like a Palm w/ those radial grains. Anyone here ever taste/lick fresh cut Red Oak? Astringent like well I can't say here but feminine for sure and it ain't ***** Willow :). So far we got licorice, Corona and well again I can't say. What more do we need boys?

They have been clearing the land behind my place, I've been coming across various interesting roots to carve staffs and canes... Came across one root I was cutting and it smelled like anise, Little Rock area, AR. Just wondering what kind of tree it came from, haven't come across this before. Wish I could find some ginseng though

Back