What would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What part of ID, are you moving to?, There is some Beautiful Country up in the Panhandle, about the only thing that I don't like about that area, is that it is about a 10 hour drive to Coast, and I would miss Salmon Fishing and Crabbing Entirely Too Much. I don't get down there enough as it is, at about a 2.5 hour now.

What is inspiring the move to ID?

As a Truck Driver, I have spent a LOT of time delivering to Central/Eastern, Washington, and Western and Northern ID, especially Post Falls, CDA, and up to Sand Point, as well as the Nampa and Boise areas of lower ID.

Good Luck with the move,

Doug :cheers:
St. Maries is the plan, although that's subject to change if I find work somewhere else. That general area though. I've wanted to live in or near the Rockies since I was a kid and my wife and I finally said, :****you: it, it's never gonna get easier, let's just do it. Looking forward to it.

I wouldn't even THINK of doing yard tree removal like that without insurance. A simple mistake could ruin a person!

I also can't believe someone would "throw out" nice saw logs like that. Unless it's riddled with metal? $1500 to drop... could easily make another $1500 from lumber off that.

It was all of 130 ft tall. Put 32 ft ladder on Uhaul roof and dropped it into 2 sections. I can barely walk today but knew that was coming.

Certainly doesn't look to be 130ft (40m), even allowing for foreshortened perspective of photo. 20m (60ft) would seem more reasonable?

Dropping two big sections from a 10m ladder on roof of rented trailer would also ring few bells for many clients.

Approx $1,500 AUD (about $5 US Trump dollars at current exchange) would seem fair for simple climber removal in semi-confined setting (3 person crew, 6x4 tipper truck, 18" chipper, mini loader & grab), whole tree chipped on-site, $100-150 for stump grinding, although some service location might be wise looking at photo. 3-4 hour job, but including site mob, would probably consume half a day.

Site mob from Australia might take a little longer....

I also can't believe someone would "throw out" nice saw logs like that. Unless it's riddled with metal? $1500 to drop... could easily make another $1500 from lumber off that.
Around here you'd have a tough time giving those logs to a mill, let alone selling it to them. Blocking price at best. Maybe $150 if you're lucky. Certainly nowhere near $1500

Around here you'd have a tough time giving those logs to a mill, let alone selling it to them. Blocking price at best. Maybe $150 if you're lucky. Certainly nowhere near $1500

I was talking of making $1500 of lumber from the logs, not that a sawmill would pay $1500. We usually don't buy wood since we do our own logging to supply the mill. There are no big sawmills around here.
Heck we are pretty much the biggest logging outfit in the area with a feller buncher, stroke delimber and 2 grapple skidders. Most of the other guys are hand falling and limbing or just grinding up the trees (IE wasting them)

I was talking of making $1500 of lumber from the logs, not that a sawmill would pay $1500. We usually don't buy wood since we do our own logging to supply the mill. There are no big sawmills around here.
Heck we are pretty much the biggest logging outfit in the area with a feller buncher, stroke delimber and 2 grapple skidders. Most of the other guys are hand falling and limbing or just grinding up the trees (IE wasting them)
Well sure. If a person owns the mill it makes more sense to save logs like that, although I'm still skeptical of the $1500 number (unless it's specialty live edge slabs or the like). For most people it isn't worth bothering with. A white pine like that, grown next to a house, so high probability of hardware, tons of branches and knots, lots of taper, weak wood. No mill around here would want it unless it was sitting on a trailer in their yard and even then they'd give bottom dollar for it.

Latest posts

Back