What would you quote this job at? (2 "removals")

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm plas... Those trees look larger than what you described. I would maybe try them at $400 and settle for around $300 if they wanted to negotiate. Stress the fact that there is some liability envolved. Is it just putting them on the ground or do you have to cut and stack?

Yeah maybe bigger but still they will come down quick. See my post " one drink ain't enough". I had some apprehension with cutting the leaner. I wrote the proposal for 600, the guy thought a bucket would be used but I told him what I would do.
No, with ALL the time and equipment I have into that job ( and all the others to) I had to charge at least the 350. This was a straight up customer I had never met before.
I think a 135 would have filled the tanks just so I could make it to another job.

Yeah maybe bigger but still they will come down quick. See my post " one drink ain't enough". I had some apprehension with cutting the leaner. I wrote the proposal for 600, the guy thought a bucket would be used but I told him what I would do.
No, with ALL the time and equipment I have into that job ( and all the others to) I had to charge at least the 350. This was a straight up customer I had never met before.
I think a 135 would have filled the tanks just so I could make it to another job.

Check your PM's bro I need to get these quotes out.

I'd go with $400. The drop job straight forward, maybe $150 for that one. The other is not really complex, top, drop a few large sections, done. Given that it appears ground should be nice and frozen, so no worry on lawn damage. $250 for that. I am still a little slower, so I'd say I'd be there no more than 4 hours, but I tend to get very cautious when climbing, and I slow down. Thats also the reason why I don't do hourly rate except with 1 repeat customer.

OK here are the pics:

In this photo, the second in from the left must be climbed and bombed:

4324387364_3039699e88_o.jpg

Here's a good view of the same tree:

4323650283_9a6a46ab8a_o.jpg

rot at bottom:

4324387102_0f917e69de_o.jpg

The one in the middle is a simple felling operation:

4323650567_244d66f6bf_o.jpg

$700 put on the ground and grind stumps

2 2 ground

OK Have any of you guys done any logging???? I can fall , Limb and buck 80-120 fir trees 100ft + a day. I mean how long does it take you to fall a tree. Maby 5 minutes. Undercut 2 minutes start back cut 1 minute Set wedge 30 seconds. Compleat back cut 1.5 minutes and it's down.OK I said we could easy do all 4 in an hour with the bucket truck. I could climb and chunk the 2 only in less than an hour and with one a fall maby 40 minutes tops. I still charge for a hour $135.00 + tax. This is a little filler job not a days work. Remember the basic of business an hours pay for an hours work. We bid less than 20% of our work and work most everyday. In the summer I only do my established customers unless there is a big removal up for grabs. Try and build your business for the long run > Later Chuck PS> I am a certified Utility Arborist. Certified Faller . and have had in the past my ISA certification.I have been a limited company for over 18 years.

OK Have any of you guys done any logging???? I can fall , Limb and buck 80-120 fir trees 100ft + a day. I mean how long does it take you to fall a tree. Maby 5 minutes. Undercut 2 minutes start back cut 1 minute Set wedge 30 seconds. Compleat back cut 1.5 minutes and it's down.OK I said we could easy do all 4 in an hour with the bucket truck. I could climb and chunk the 2 only in less than an hour and with one a fall maby 40 minutes tops. I still charge for a hour $135.00 + tax. This is a little filler job not a days work. Remember the basic of business an hours pay for an hours work. We bid less than 20% of our work and work most everyday. In the summer I only do my established customers unless there is a big removal up for grabs. Try and build your business for the long run > Later Chuck PS> I am a certified Utility Arborist. Certified Faller . and have had in the past my ISA certification.I have been a limited company for over 18 years.

And still working for loggers pay it would appear. I noticed that climbers didn't fetch a very good wage when I was in Northern Cali. Glad I don't work there. Multimillion dollar properties and ex loggers working for peanuts.

Big difference in logging and urban tree care. When the amount of liability increases so does the price of the job.

It's all fine and good to work by the hour when you are falling trees in the middle of nowhere. When you start falling in areas where there is liability that needs to be taken into consideration as well as level of difficulty and personal risk. What are you gonna do if the unthinkable ever happens and you hit the house with a tree that is worth thousands and you bid it for 3 hours at $135? I guess you will eat $600 of the deductible yourself...

There are times when it would be totally asinine to stick to an hourly rate.

Last edited:
And still working for loggers pay it would appear. I noticed that climbers didn't fetch a very good wage when I was in Northern Cali. Glad I don't work there. Multimillion dollar properties and ex loggers working for peanuts.

Big difference in logging and urban tree care. When the amount of liability increases so does the price of the job.

It's all fine and good to work by the hour when you are falling trees in the middle of nowhere. When you start falling in areas where there is liability that needs to be taken into consideration as well as level of difficulty and personal risk. What are you gonna do if the unthinkable ever happens and you hit the house with a tree that is worth thousands and you bid it for 3 hours at $135? I guess you will eat $600 of the deductible yourself...

There are times when it would be totally asinine to stick to an hourly rate.

OK so the one thing I now know for sure is that there is no consistency or standards regarding pricing in this industry whatsoever.

OK so the one thing I now know for sure is that there is no consistency or standards regarding pricing in this industry whatsoever.

Plas, did you not see where I posted that I shoot for $125 an hour on run of the mill jobs? That is the minimum that I shoot for. However, there are things that effect market value. Like a storm: Emergency service normally double your hourly rate. Liability: If you are taking a massive tree out from over a house you had better at least have your deductible covered. Amount of personal risk: As in there is no way I am removing that dead tree (that no one else wants to touch) unless you pay me this much money! Level of difficulty: I am going to have to spend half a day in this tree dismantling an ancient antenna, it is covered in poison Ivy and I'm going to have to set up complicated rigging to lower limbs from over the house; No way I am doing this tree unless you pay me this much for this tree.

Other considerations: Are you going to have to bring in specialized equipment? More man power? Is the job so big that it is going to take away from your regularly scheduled work (better make sure your going to make at least as much as you would on whatever you have scheduled on a normal week).

Every situation is different and you better have you ass covered in every case.

Seems to me that the average estimate you got from folks on this thread would be between 3 and 4 hundred.

Plas, did you not see where I posted that I shoot for $125 an hour on run of the mill jobs? That is the minimum that I shoot for. However, there are things that effect market value. Like a storm: Emergency service normally double your hourly rate. Liability: If you are taking a massive tree out from over a house you had better at least have your deductible covered. Amount of personal risk: As in there is no way I am removing that dead tree (that no one else wants to touch) unless you pay me this much money! Level of difficulty: I am going to have to spend half a day in this tree dismantling an ancient antenna, it is covered in poison Ivy and I'm going to have to set up complicated rigging to lower limbs from over the house; No way I am doing this tree unless you pay me this much for this tree.

Other considerations: Are you going to have to bring in specialized equipment? More man power? Is the job so big that it is going to take away from your regularly scheduled work (better make sure your going to make at least as much as you would on whatever you have scheduled on a normal week).

Every situation is different and you better have you ass covered in every case.

Seems to me that the average estimate you got from folks on this thread would be between 3 and 4 hundred.

I quoted it at $375.

2 2 fall only

OK Res is different and I carry 2 million public libiality, WCB on workers 2 million on the bucket and chipper and 1 million on the one ton. Our large chip truck we use only in summer with a 200 horse power bandit with a grapple on big jobs. We hake our $1000.00 a day . but not on a couple of 30 minute jobs. Later CHuck

Last edited:
two trees

Couldnt tell from picture angle. Put gin point in the tree you can drop. Notch the one your going to bomb into this. Lower gently to ground. No ground destruction. Can use logs or brush from this to cushion your notch and drop tree. Or just take top 1\3 or 1\2 if not willing to do as a whole. I do this all the time on high dollar lawn\property. Your close on bid. Good luck!

Yeah they are a bit bigger than fisrt described but right close to the drive. THis is a trim truck dream . I have a XT55 and we could easy get all 4 trees in pic on the ground in 1 hour. I climb also but the trim truck is hard to beat when there is easy access. Later Chuck

So in you theory you would do that job for 135.00 :rolleyes: I don't beat my bucket down the road for less than 350.00. One tire makes for a bad day. I would drop all four of those trees in an hour once there but you have to figure drive time and if stumps are being ground extra. I would cut all four grind stumps leave everthing lay and minor landscape damage expected in writing for the sum of 450:00 come on guy's this is a business not a hobby.

THats right Rope

Yes ROpe I would. Rember though the job as first listed was to FALL only 2 trees. THe owner to clean up. I would do this job when I had another one close. We do about 400 jobs a year.so 1 hour is lots would give 1/2 hour of travel to boot . I often do several small jobs in one area in a day. It's the only way to cut travel time. Rember also 80% of our work is not bid anymore. My company has a very good name here. Later

Back