What year is my small Briggs and Stratton engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need picture of motor.
If it's a OBSELETE Tecumseh you can download a L-head service manual from one of these links and decipher the Serial number code (the first digit of the serial number which may be the ( in your picture then take a guess at 1959, 69, 79, etc. If you determine it's a Tecumseh you can also search HOW TO decipher a Tecumseh engine code? Look in the back of the manual for engine spec's once you ID the block. I still get few parts for those from flea bay and have some good runners, but if it's very far gone, it's a dinosaur egg. Them are not user friendly to work on and if you get one out of time it will throw a rod fast.

Links to Tecumseh Service Manuals PDF

https://www.smallenginesuppliers.co...cumseh_L-Head_Engines_Service_Information.pdf
You can also find a good info link about Tecumseh carbs with a search.

The number posted does not make sense for tecumseh. Should be a plate riveted to fan/recoil housing.

I have one on a troy bilt tiller, 6-HP1973 HH50, and it still runs like a top. Used every year and never been inside engine. Did have to do points/plug, and clean carb due to E10 corn gas (never again!)

See attached manual.

Attachments

• Tecumseh Technicians Manual - 3 to 11 HP 4 Cycle L-Head Engines.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back