Whats a 020t worth??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
What a general rule for price ranges for a 020t, I'm looking at buying one? I haven't seen it yet, the guy I know just told me he's thinking of selling it. Says it was dropped out of a tree, and had the gas tank and muffler replaced.

Be careful if it was used in a business I can almost guarantee it had the piss run out of it. I would rather buy saws with low compression for 30-50 dollars and slap a new or used oem cyl and piston on it repair everything and have a cheap prosaw that I went through top to bottom. I won't buy a used saw unless I know the person that ran it. Offer 100 after checking it out.

Be careful if it was used in a business I can almost guarantee it had the piss run out of it. I would rather buy saws with low compression for 30-50 dollars and slap a new or used oem cyl and piston on it repair everything and have a cheap prosaw that I went through top to bottom. I won't buy a used saw unless I know the person that ran it. Offer 100 after checking it out.

Good point. Those climbing saws do get the hell run out of them. They're usually ran untill they have just about had it because they are costly to replace..

The avp avs are rearhandled and the T on Stihl saws indicates that it is a tophandle model on some of their saws. The avs has a bigger engine 35cc and 020 and 020avp have 32cc. The tophandle saws are unforgiving when they kickback and you must be extra carful running them.

Last edited:
020T value

Did not mean to derail the thread. But back to the original question, what is an 020T worth?

Not sure, but I am buying the one in the pic that I posted for $30.00, plus shipping. Hopefully I did OK. We shall see.

I have seen them go for $225.00 on eBay recently.

old style

attachment.php

new style 020T and a 200T
attachment.php

Last edited:
Good point. I think they had both 020av and 020t versions of the top handle some Stihl badging can get a little confusing.

I talked to the guy again today, and apparently its not a 020t its a 200t, don't know how I misunderstood. Anyway it has a running problem, apparently it bogs out in the cut, dies right off. Impluse?? too lean??? air leak??? Whats it worth, I will before I purchase pull the muffler and check the piston / cylinder.

The first 020 saws were 1114 series, all mag housings, in both a top handle and rear handle version.
1114 020 1971-1979
020AVP 1972-1979
020 SUPER 1979-1994

It then became an 1129 series. It is available as a rear handle as well. This is the saw of choice for most tree guys.
1129 020T 1994-2001
MS200T 2001-current

The most common problem with 1129 saws is that the anti-vibe buffers get torn, and then add to that a dull chain, and the handle flexes up too far and tears the intake boot, so it may idle but will start sucking gobs of air and die if the handle is moved at all. Be sure to check for that by lifting the handle up while pushing down on the body and see if the boot looks OK, and that the rear mount is OK. There is an upgrade kit for the tank vent for older saws, and the most current have a Nikkel vent up under the handle housing, with a different tank as well. It will have a double fuel hose grommet, one line to the carb and the other to the vent.
I have one I just repaired with a new mounts, boot, vent, and carb, and it runs great and has plenty of life left in it, and is absolutely worth 225.

The first 020 saws were 1114 series, all mag housings, in both a top handle and rear handle version.
1114 020 1971-1979
020AVP 1972-1979
020 SUPER 1979-1994

It then became an 1129 series. It is available as a rear handle as well. This is the saw of choice for most tree guys.
1129 020T 1994-2001
MS200T 2001-current

The most common problem with 1129 saws is that the anti-vibe buffers get torn, and then add to that a dull chain, and the handle flexes up too far and tears the intake boot, so it may idle but will start sucking gobs of air and die if the handle is moved at all. Be sure to check for that by lifting the handle up while pushing down on the body and see if the boot looks OK, and that the rear mount is OK. There is an upgrade kit for the tank vent for older saws, and the most current have a Nikkel vent up under the handle housing, with a different tank as well. It will have a double fuel hose grommet, one line to the carb and the other to the vent.
I have one I just repaired with a new mounts, boot, vent, and carb, and it runs great and has plenty of life left in it, and is absolutely worth 225.

Thanks allot. He said probably $200 for it, I was thinking it was a little high considering it doesn't really run. He's not 100% certain he is going to sell or not. I will find out soon hopefully.

Usually carb (ditch it if the accel pump is bad..,) or fuel delivery.. but...

Be careful...

Today I looked at a 20T for an arborist - "Just a fuel tank leak.. "sure... fixed the tank vent... Ran like crap - died, wouldn't idle well.. carb inlet screen full of junk.. diaphragms petrified.. Rebuilt carb.... fuel filter.. flushed fuel line...

Hmmmm ...high end seems o.k.... still has problems low down and on acceleration. Compression 135'ish not good... but.. the big problem is crank seals, and that's because the crank bearing are shot.

And it gets worse... the crank under the clutch drum is worn 10 thou.. so the drum wobbles like a drunken sailor. No fix for that.

Want to bet this ends up on ebay? "needs a tune... won't idle well, runs great. As is... no returns.."

Piston (maybe cylinder), crank, bearings, seals, etc.... $250-400 parts, and then labor..

Usually carb (ditch it if the accel pump is bad..,) or fuel delivery.. but...

Be careful...

Today I looked at a 20T for an arborist - "Just a fuel tank leak.. "sure... fixed the tank vent... Ran like crap - died, wouldn't idle well.. carb inlet screen full of junk.. diaphragms petrified.. Rebuilt carb.... fuel filter.. flushed fuel line...

Hmmmm ...high end seems o.k.... still has problems low down and on acceleration. Compression 135'ish not good... but.. the big problem is crank seals, and that's because the crank bearing are shot.

And it gets worse... the crank under the clutch drum is worn 10 thou.. so the drum wobbles like a drunken sailor. No fix for that.

Want to bet this ends up on ebay? "needs a tune... won't idle well, runs great. As is... no returns.."

Piston (maybe cylinder), crank, bearings, seals, etc.... $250-400 parts, and then labor..

OUCH!!!

Back