Whats a makita chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I have acquired a makita/dolmar dcs 401. Finally got screwed by Ebay. My dumb a$$ likes to look at chainsaws and lowball people on ebay. I knew some day I'd get what was coming to me. I have read a bit about the saw and I dont think I made a bad decision since I was looking at poulan pro 5020s. Also didn't need another saw. Say German chainsaw and everyone says stihl. Well now I have a dolmar. Any opinions? I mean I made an offer because it was a dolmar and it seems the Ebay chainsaw market is low right now. It was less than a refurbished poulan 5020...I need to log out and forget the password. Good thing Trump is sending me money.

I probably should have made an offer on a dolmar the wife would have never noticed a new orange saw. I have wanted a dolmar for a long time. I tend to mess around with small cc saws more. Last saw I came close to accidentally buying was an eager beaver...I was sweating on that one.

Dont have it yet. I won it last night. Looked good in the pics. I wish it was a dream too. I gotta sneak it passed the wife and with the current economy didnt need to spend the money. But I do think it was a better use of the money than a poulan. What's a makita 401 worth lol?

I don’t have one. I think that’s a REALLY good little saw. Just a guess. I know I would buy one in a second if the opportunity presented itself; you know, good example, right price kinda thing..

DOES ANY ONE OWN ONE? Maybe if I ask in caps people will hear me yell. Where the hell is the makita dolmar community? I should have bought that efco john deere I was looking at. Maybe that would get a peep...

You do. Let us know what you think.

i have a couple of Dolmars. A 420 and a 5105. I like them.
I guess I didnt realize you owned a dolmar. I use my poulan woodshark as much as I use my stihl saws. Hoping this will change that. I'm cutting ash trees. If it's a big tree I use a stihl other wise I use my poulan. This saw was cheaper that a ms180 and I was looking at 021s for a while or vintage stihl top handles. I made a few offers but I hope this saw will be worth it.

I bought a 7910 a while back. It was with some non running 372's It seems to have a ton of compression. It seems to run well, and isn't all beat up,but it didn't come with a b/c so havent tried it in wood. I think it takes the big husky mount. I have a big dead oak in the front yard. When I get some free time, I might put a b/c on it and give it a tryout.

I bought a 7910 a while back. It was with some non running 372's It seems to have a ton of compression. It seems to run well, and isn't all beat up,but it didn't come with a b/c so havent tried it in wood. I think it takes the big husky mount. I have a big dead oak in the front yard. When I get some free time, I might put a b/c on it and give it a tryout.
Yup it takes the big Hisky mount. I have a adapter to use stihl bars too

Do you guys have a dolmar dealer near by? I know I dont and had never heard of them till I joined the site. I'm excited to try a new quality brand even if it is a mini saw. I'd be up for a non box store husky too. I like my 450 but for 50cc it's not nearly the same power as the 028.

I have had a Makita 6401 for about ten years have sawed a lot of locust and hedge with it. One of the guys that help me cut wood will only run that saw he loves it . We run a 20 inch bar on it. Had to replace the kill switch a couple years ago. I bought it and air filters on line no dealers in my area. Its been a great saw.

Do you guys have a dolmar dealer near by? I know I dont and had never heard of them till I joined the site. I'm excited to try a new quality brand even if it is a mini saw. I'd be up for a non box store husky too. I like my 450 but for 50cc it's not nearly the same power as the 028.
Dont believe there are Dolmar dealers in the US anymore since Makita acquired them . Look for a Makita dealer

I dont need a dealer but I was curious as to how people know about them and buy them. I buy most of my saws from Ebay which isn't bad if you find a deal. Saws on Facebook market place or Craigslist are your typical saws and they want a ton for them.

About 10 years ago I set out to find a good firewood saw, and narrowed my list down to a Husky 353 and a Stihl 250 based on some online reading, and following the Chainsaw threads here. I had further settled on the Husky and stopped by the nearest chainsaw shop for a final confirmation. The local guy had either, but at the time was a Dolmar dealer and told me for the money, the Dolmar PS 510 was an excellent saw, at a great price. I bought it and sawed a metric crap-ton of oak, mostly standing dead Red with it.
P1030908.JPG

As I started getting into larger trees, I found an amazing deal on a PS 6100 as the last saw in inventory of a different saw shop that was going out of business. I hesitated, then double rationalized and went back the next day. The dealer still had the saw, and as he was going out of business, he gave me his sign, and a hat too.

P1070708.JPG

A couple years later, I was involved in a large trimming project at our church, and a crazy local Tree man loaned us a bucket truck for a Saturday, and I was the only one of a couple of us who was willing to do the trimming. I had always wanted a lighter/smaller saw for limbing once the big oaks were on the ground, and with this opportunity to work from a bucket, I decided to add the 421 to my little arsenal. It is a great package for my needs (ok, it was for my wants). I love it and often grab it when a bigger saw might be better.

IMG_7280.jpg

Hence the family. My local chainsaw shop is no longer a Dolmar dealer, but does deal Makita. Truth be told, he has kind of moved on to his custom saw milling. But, he has had no problem getting me the few Dolmar parts I've needed in the past couple years, whether from old stock, or from his Makita network. I am of an age when I might not ever need another saw, and I would be sorry I couldn't likely find a Dolmar in red if I did.

Not sure what you are looking for an owner to tell you. My three saws work all winter long here on my little one-man, one dog firewood operation. I've never had any of the three leave me out of service. I never did buy, nor run either a Husky nor Stihl, so I am not able to declare the Dolmar is as good, or better than either. They are clean and strong design, they work, and they look pretty on my shelf. All I was looking for.

I recieved the saw today. Its dirty and I was a bit mad that it has a bs easy adjust craftsman bar and a saftey chain. Looking at it it doesn't look special. The engine looks to be a better quality on the outside. It has a decompression button. Outboard clutch. I pulled the top cover to see a real air filter. Then I was starting to like it. My saws go from an 028 which is a real saw to a crafstman which is a toy. This has that crafstman look at a glance but is a lot better. Then i put some gas in it and started it. Yep not a craftsman. It sounds and feels like a real saw. It needs a good cleaning and a non saftey chain, its 3/8lp which whatever. I've read that they respond great to a muffler mod and tune even though it sounds pretty good stock. Overall I'm happy but not extremely happy. It is obvious the seller got it and slapped a bs bar and chain on it. But that's Ebay for ya.

Back