Whats best small gas splitter 4 the money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350rancher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whats the best small gas splitter 4 the money . dnt need a big splitter most uf firewood is under 24 inchs . been looking at brave splitters lately thanks im new 2 this site.

IMO you get what you pay for. If you want to get a cheap one just get whatever you local store has. You are always taking a chance with “cheap”.

I would just go to tractor supply and by one.

JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW in 1978-ish dad bought a 22t speeco from northern hydraulics. Have changed the engine once but still use it every year. Not a commercial unit by any stretch but has done ours and often others too. Home owner use 12 cord average give or take. Slow yep but there is some safety in slow and steady. Pretty much a once in a lifetime purchase to service 2-3 families. Prorated over 40 years That's like 1 cheap axe a year. Spend what ya can afford.

I really like my Dirty hand tools 27 ton vertical/horizontal , they have very good service and treat the dealers right for warranty work.

if I were looking for a small I would look at the 22ton Dirty Hand Tools splitter they run about the same as the competition about 900 to start

I think someone said as a Arboristsite member there is a discount but I bought mine before I found this site.

check the dealer network for DHT it is worth buying from a full servicing dealer in my opinion.

my local saw shop sells them he told me about how he was impressed with the company when he did the first warranty work and I was later impressed when I called to get a hose the broke and they not only sent me the hose but also the new pump with the 90* bend fitting and I was at the very end of my warranty when they did that. I broke the hose in a frozen rut because it hung below the axle they had resolved that with a different pump and gave me the pump all I paid was shipping I was ordering filters any way.

IMO you get what you pay for. If you want to get a cheap one just get whatever you local store has. You are always taking a chance with “cheap”.

I would just go to tractor supply and by one.

JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im not really looking at the cheapest, has 2 be portable more than anything ,cutting a couple miles uf fence row at a large farm , mainly cherry, locust, looked at tsc they sell county line which ive never heard uf .

If you are handy and can stumble across one that is in need of repair thats the way to go however can get somewhat pricey i found an old splitter in peices got a motor pump and cylinder and made my own running gear have to paint in the spring
It can be a pain tho lol..

Attachments

• 20181021_151211.jpg
    20181021_151211.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 18
thanks 2 all 4 imput, im lean n hard toward the brave , they seem 2 hav a great track record and made n the US. i hav access 2 a large 27 ton old splitter when i need it its just 2 big to haul thru the fields.

We have an Iron and Oak at the shop. It was bough in the early 90s, was pretty $$, my buddy seems to think around $2500, so that's what $3500 now?

It was used as a rental machine for many years and still works fine.

I bought a County Line 22 ton from Tractor Supply, 6.5 hp Kohler engine, about 5-6 years ago. I split for me and a neighbor, 15-20 cords a year. Zero complaints or trouble. Haven’t found anything I couldn’t split. You have to rotate the bigger round but it works. Up to 24” oak.

im not really looking at the cheapest, has 2 be portable more than anything ,cutting a couple miles uf fence row at a large farm , mainly cherry, locust, looked at tsc they sell county line which ive never heard uf .

All these type splitters are all basically exactly alike. The main differences are motor and pump and wedge design. I like a thin wedge vs. a thick one. It cuts through the wood better. Everything else is the same no mater what name it's branded under. I had a Husky 22 ton from TS and wore it out to the point it was cheaper to replace it. Bought a Countyline 40 ton unit from TS last year and it's worked perfectly. Cheap means they cut corners somewhere. Most likely there using cheap steel and B stock parts they got whole sale. To be fare, they all probably have imported parts, but there are cheap imported parts and good imported parts.

found this small brave ez split , its a display unit has a reciever mount hitch mount $500 out the door. its also very portable ,
I’ve had one of these for around 8 years. Great little splitter. Doesn’t take up half the garage. Unfortunately they have been discontinued since Brave moved out of Illinois.

I would definitely buy my 27 ton DHT if I had it to do all over again. Personally, I would pass on the 4 way adapter though. I just don't like it.

I appreciate hearing that , I would also buy my DHT 27 ton all over again , but I have toyed with the idea of the 4 way several times , just can't bring myself to do it , because I think it would be off the splitter more than it was on the splitter with he odd shapes , and grains of the wood I seem to get so much of. It sound like your confirming that in you saying you would pass on the 4way adapter.

I’ve had one of these for around 8 years. Great little splitter. Doesn’t take up half the garage. Unfortunately they have been discontinued since Brave moved out of Illinois.
yea they look real portable my buddy works 4 CAT, he said that brave splitter has all well made parts etc. he looked at it with me . does hav the B/S engine .

Back