What's everybody's favorite wood to mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So as the title states, whats everybody's favorite wood to mill? Just curious to see what everyone else prefers... I personally like white oak and maple. I just like the colors and figuring most of the slabs I mill have. Makes for some good looking stuff! What do you all like to mill the best?

IMG_1178.JPG

Awe man they're all so nice, but I gotta say I really enjoy Ash. Some wild color too, nice grain, and a great live edge! But of course the walnut is hands down gorgeous.

Image is from a top cut off ash turned into a coat rack by my wife! Couldn't find any images of a rough cut piece tonight
635cb6d55659877896e68bab0a595139.jpg

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Awe man they're all so nice, but I gotta say I really enjoy Ash. Some wild color too, nice grain, and a great live edge! But of course the walnut is hands down gorgeous.

Image is from a top cut off ash turned into a coat rack by my wife! Couldn't find any images of a rough cut piece tonight
635cb6d55659877896e68bab0a595139.jpg

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
I agree. Every log is just so unique. Our Ash here in PA is just about wiped out from the emerald ash beetle so we run a bunch at my buddy's mill. Really is a sad sight. I'm surprised more effort isn't being made to harvest and use what's standing.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Box Elder is really nice with the pink in the grain too. I made some recipe boxes for my girlfriend and her sisters last year and they loved them.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

image.jpeg image.jpeg So far I have only milled a couple logs.
California black oak (Quercus kelloggii), Ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa), and Sugar pine (Pinus lambertiana).
The Sugar pine is my favorite so far.

My favourite has to be Western Red Cedar. It smells so good when you mill it. Its soft as anything though so anything you build with it has to be protected. Birch and big leaf maple are also favourites.

20150214_115212.jpg

I know this isn't a milling photo, but we did mill this log with the CSM after bucking off the flare.

I like milling Oak because I love the smell of fresh cut Oak. I milled a Dawn Redwood a year or two back, that was the most fun I ever had milling. Got 20 some 10/4 boards out of 3 logs and the saw never showed a sign of getting dull, till I hit a nail in the last cut. I guess that's better than hitting it in the first cut. The Redwood was so soft I had a hard time keeping up with the mill going down hill, Joe.

Back