What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, we get that here too. Plus snow. I have a covered porch for that though, and I smoke year round here. Food that is. Weed is also legal here now and in AK... but I am older and that no longer interests me.

I threw some red alder into my wood stove this afternoon and this place smells like bacon now. So now I am defrosting a pork butt to smoke this evening. Anyone know why a pork shoulder roast is called a butt? I never figured that one out.

Got six leg qtrs on the grill just slow grillin'. Gettin' the boat ready, rods ready/changing line on a few...with hal-flies, triple ripples, jigs. We're on the crappie prowl early thirty tomorrow morning. Hit 72 here today, gonna be a little warmer tomorrow, and the moon is saying hit it. See if I can't put up a couple pics of some slab crappie tomorrow. If the crappie don't cooperate, we'll swing thru the Captain D's drive-thru with boat in tow (wouldn't that be a helluva pic at the drive-thru window), buy a 10-piece family meal with slaw, hush puppies, and fries...get it back to the house, snap a pic...and lie like a damn rug. Lol
73cefc1120b3707344ea560416b72cdd.jpg

You rock the Weber my friend. Those look excellent. Did a pork roast on mine today. Finished in the oven. It's making everyone in the house crazy. I am picture challenged. Also, send me a pm about the rotisserie set up I saw in one of your post. That thing was very NICE!

Yah, we get that here too. Plus snow. I have a covered porch for that though, and I smoke year round here. Food that is. Weed is also legal here now and in AK... but I am older and that no longer interests me.

I threw some red alder into my wood stove this afternoon and this place smells like bacon now. So now I am defrosting a pork butt to smoke this evening. Anyone know why a pork shoulder roast is called a butt? I never figured that one out.

Yes the naming of that piece of meat is puzzling. There is a bit of a debate in this area with some of the guys as to whether the actual "shoulder" or the "butt" makes the best pulled pork BBQ. Honestly either piece of meat is very good if prepped and cooked right. If I'm making pulled pork though I use the butt. Seems to me the shoulder has too much bone for the dollar. Since I don't eat bones, I don't really want to pay for them either. Gonna check the roast I smoked in a bit to see how tender it is. Yeeehaww!

You rock the Weber my friend. Those look excellent. Did a pork roast on mine today. Finished in the oven. It's making everyone in the house crazy. I am picture challenged. Also, send me a pm about the rotisserie set up I saw in one of your post. That thing was very NICE!
I'll send you the rotisserie setup here a little later.

Is there a such thing as an uncovered porch? :D

My front porch isn't big enough for a grill and the back is a patio. Was thinking of turning it into a porch this summer though.

Is there a such thing as an uncovered porch? :D

My front porch isn't big enough for a grill and the back is a patio. Was thinking of turning it into a porch this summer though.
Put a shed roof over it, be done with it. Pretty simple to do. I say simple, I come from a long line of developers/builders/framers...it's like riding a bike to me.

Yeah that was the thought. Just it got added to "the list" which is about 8 pages long and includes finishing projects I started years ago too. I'm pretty well a jack of all trades, my Dad taught ne well.. Doing some plumbing and wiring right now (water booster pump at home) and need to go finish putting a floor in a bathroom on the rental house later tonight.

Yeah that was the thought. Just it got added to "the list" which is about 8 pages long and includes finishing projects I started years ago too. I'm pretty well a jack of all trades. Doing some plumbing and wiring right now (water booster pump at home) and need to go finish putting a floor in a bathroom on the rental house later tonight.
Sounds like ya oughta be able to handle it.

That's a nice knife. You stone sharpen it?
Haven't put it or any in that particular set of knives on any stones yet. Usually just sharpen them real quick with a sharpening steel, then touch them up with a Henckels two-stage semi-course and fine, pull through, with steel and ceramic wheels. That knife is from a Chicago Cutlery set. I use my Zwilling/Henckels set much more than the Chicago Cutlery. The 18-pc set of Zwilling/Henckels stay razor sharp.

Haven't put it or any in that particular set of knives on any stones yet. Usually just sharpen them real quick with a sharpening steel, then touch them up with a Henckels two-stage semi-course and fine, pull through, steel and ceramic wheels. That knife is from a Chicago Cutlery set. I use my Zwilling/Henckels set much more than the Chicago Cutlery. The 18-pc set of Zwilling/Henckels stay razor sharp.
I have 2 sharp knives for carving they ain't nothing special but I keep em razor sharp the way I like em

Opening Day Doggs

Kayem Old Tyme Red Hots
Rays Down East Schooner mustard
Sauerkraut
Buttered and toasted hot dog rolls
Good old domestic pilsner

Put a small slice in each end of hotdog. Put dogs into pan with a beer and bring to a low simmer. Simmer 8 or 10 min, remove from beer and place on a medium hot grill. Grill till casing just about ready to split. Brush rolls with melted butter and toast rolls on both sides. A cast iron pan works great for this. Add dog to roll and top with mustard and sauerkraut. Eat and repeat with an ice cold pilsner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10REBi26hU

Opening Day Doggs

Kayem Old Tyme Red Hots
Rays Down East Schooner mustard
Sauerkraut
Buttered and toasted hot dog rolls
Good old domestic pilsner

Put a small slice in each end of hotdog. Put dogs into pan with a beer and bring to a low simmer. Simmer 8 or 10 min, remove from beer and place on a medium hot grill. Grill till casing just about ready to split. Brush rolls with melted butter and toast rolls on both sides. A cast iron pan works great for this. Add dog to roll and top with mustard and sauerkraut. Eat and repeat with an ice cold pilsner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10REBi26hU
Good plan you got there.

Fellas...looking at the local Home Depot sales circular online that ends this Sun...get it while the gettin's good if offered in your area...Kingsford twin 18.6lb bags of charcoal for $9.88 (used to be twin 20lb bags). I'm hitting the HD that's about a mile from my house immediately after work. Gonna get 10 twin bags, that'll get me through the year and then some since I have 3 twin 20lb bags in the shop now from my last mass purchase of Kingsford at HD.

I posted these in the what's for dinner forum but they actually belong here.
Two hunks of Corned beef from the close out bin at Kroger, coated in Black Pepper and smoked over Hickory.
At $2.99 a pound, it makes for some pretty awesome Pastrami.

Before
image.jpg

After
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back