What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a swell thread! I would welcome a dinner invite at anyone's place posting these awesome pix... haven't seen a pix here yet that don't make me salivate!! :pingpong: [note: that is not a bouncing goof, just me indicating yes, 2nds please!] lol... and of course...:givebeer:, too! the volume out of some of your kitchens is simply awesome... I do like smoking and grilling. gas is fine. I also use several types of charcoal... kingsford type, I like the mix with mesquite in it best... and the dry wood type charcoals, as well. however... my fav is to cook over hot oak coals... or mesquite. I have a mesquite wood lot up at my place over in the far corner... I don't cut if down or clear it... just for the wood. always dropping a limb here n there... so nicely seasoned. :) not sure just what I really was in my prior lives, but if I wasn't a 1800's lumberjack camp cook... then I must have been a 'trail ride cookie' ... like those ol chuck wagons!! i have a comprehensive cast iron cookware collection... that I didn't fine, it found me... lol here is the last of my last couple of rib slabs smoked. got couple put up in freezer from sales day... so guess with warmer weather on horizon... time to think about smoking them... and some chicken... and maybe a brisket, too. :yes: I make my own almost ' world famous' BBQ sauce... brown sugar based.

last two poik ribs off Backyard Lumberjack's killa' offset smoker... :p:oops::p

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

dinner side last nite was my handcut almost 'world famous' tabletop homemade French fries... tasty delights... all! :yes: ketchup to the L, my BBQ sauce on R.

P1010002.JPG

great thread here, boys!!! :) 100 likes to each...

Four big ol' chicken breasts marinated in Italian dressing all day and basted down four/five times during the grillin'. Haven't a clue as to sides...got a few big tomatoes, I think a couple will get sliced, and maybe a pot of whole kernel and creme style corn mixed together. Add a few slices of bread, couple of tall glasses of milk, and I think I got it licked.
image.jpeg

Lets do some chicken wings

Chicken wings
½ t Salt
1t Pepper
1t Cornstarch
1 garlic clove crushed
3 T butter
¼ cup Franks red hot

Locate some chicken wings. My local Sams club usually has a good deal on Perdue wings. You will need to separate the drumette from the wingette from the tip using a sharp knife and some caution. Carefully cut in the joints and it goes pretty quick. Save the tips for stock. You can sometimes find the wings already cut but they are more expensive. Rinse the parts well and place into a steamer basket. Steam the wings for 10 min and place on a rack to dry and cool for about an hour uncovered in the refrigerator. The steam removes some of the fat, helps to crisp up the wing and keeps splattering down to a minimum. Once cool you can cook them or freeze them. To cook, take the wings and place them in a clean paper bag with the salt, pepper and cornstarch. Give them a quick shake and place on a medium hot grill. Cook for about 15- 20 min per side till done. Keep and eye on them as the wingette will often cook faster than the drummets. Melt 3 T butter in microwave and add crushed garlic clove and franks red hot. Toss wings with sauce and serve with Woodchuck granny smith hard cider.

Notes: you can also cook these wings in an oven. 425F for 20 min, flip and 20min more. They come out great. You can add any sort of spice you like with the cornstarch. The starch just help the spices stick better. Sauce is always optional.

Got an 8lb Boston butt lathered down with yellow mustard and seasonings. Hittin' the Weber in about 30-45 mins. Give it a good smoke ring for an hour/hour and a half with a mix of wet hickory chips and Kingsford, then low and slow for about 8 hours. Pics later...

Got an 8lb Boston butt lathered down with yellow mustard and seasonings. Hittin' the Weber in about 30-45 mins. Give it a good smoke ring for an hour/hour and a half with a mix of wet hickory chips and Kingsford, then low and slow for about 8 hours. Pics later...

I been keeping my eye on butts for sale... ;) this town has plenty of... 'sidewalk vendors'.... :laughing:

:rolleyes:

[ lol ]... and should have got one last week. 97-cents/#... oh well, u snooze u looze... but, won't miss this deal: large shrimps, count is 13-15 per pound... $4.99/#... heads on. this is the deal I wait for. great tasting seafood. usually just drop into boil mix... and into ice water bath once done, chill... eat... eat. enjoy... eat... and put rest in refer. they never go bad!! lol... thinking of 5 lbs. 5 1-lb packages... they will wrap them that way...

and sometimes onto the grill, too! :yes:

stand by... pix at 11! :)

I been keeping my eye on butts for sale... ;) this town has plenty of... 'sidewalk vendors'.... :laughing:

:rolleyes:

[ lol ]... and should have got one last week. 97-cents/#... oh well, u snooze u looze... but, won't miss this deal: large shrimps, count is 13-15 per pound... $4.99/#... heads on. this is the deal I wait for. great tasting seafood. usually just drop into boil mix... and into ice water bath once done, chill... eat... eat. enjoy... eat... and put rest in refer. they never go bad!! lol... thinking of 5 lbs. 5 1-lb packages... they will wrap them that way...

and sometimes onto the grill, too! :yes:

stand by... pix at 11! :)
When I lived in Houston, we used to buy them straight off of the Shrimp boats in Galveston.
Later on, the wholesalers cornered the market and we were forced to buy from them. It cost a little more but being able to back up to a loading dock was nice.
I remember, not so fondly, spending the better part of a day shelling, cleaning and butterflying Shrimp, for a big fry.
Although the prep work sucked, the end result always made it worthwhile.

When I lived in Houston, we used to buy them straight off of the Shrimp boats in Galveston.
Later on, the wholesalers cornered the market and we were forced to buy from them. It cost a little more but being able to back up to a loading dock was nice.
I remember, not so fondly, spending the better part of a day shelling, cleaning and butterflying Shrimp, for a big fry.

I havn't been down to buy off the boat in years. some used to do that, drive N and sell along the roadways. I always steered clear of them, pun intended... I mostly reply here to comment... the amzing thing about fresh shrimp is the taste. it is very dif than what u buy in the store, as preservatives have been added. even if fresh frozen... I am ok with the store bought... my homemade c-ocktail sauce is killer enough... and begs for some, any shrimp to take a dive into it...

I do like shrimp. any way anybody wants to cook it. I rarely eat it breaded however... but, very hungry, and the Daily Special down at Joe's Truck Stop and Diner... out there along the I-63... i'd order it... and take a chance... lol, usually comes with enuff lemons... to fix about anything... lol

'with fries, sir?'

yes please!

'bon appetite!'

Same deal on the shrimp and fresh seafood when I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point on the NC coast. Would drive a little handful of miles south to Morehead City, Atlantic Beach, Swansboro area and fresh shrimp and fresh seafood galore...buy straight off the boats and piers. Another thing we were big on was setting crab pots in and around the Neuse and Trent Rivers' inlets and tributaries...could catch more blue crabs than you could fill a battleship with. Talk about some fine crab and seafood throwdowns.

Are you using bone in or boneless?
I've taken boned butts, seasoned inside and out, tied into roasts and smoked. I put them on the slicer and cut thin slices for sandwiches, or roll up with Cheese, for appetizers.
It's not necessarily better than pulled, just different.

I've taken boned butts, seasoned inside and out, tied into roasts and smoked. I put them on the slicer and cut thin slices for sandwiches, or roll up with Cheese, for appetizers.
These last six Boston butts I bought are all bone-in. I've got one 10lb'er left and it'll be butt hunting time again at the grocery stores.

>I've taken boned butts,

>seasoned inside and out,

>tied into

>roasted and smoked.

lol; one-liner purposely omitted as a courtesy to General Audiences. ! ;)

Shake and bake chicken breats (hehehehehehehe) and some taters for supper in about 5 hrs. Just having diner right now (TV diners)

Shake and bake chicken breats (hehehehehehehe) and some taters for supper in about 5 hrs. Just having diner right now (TV diners)
VF, you really need an adjustment to your menu and grocery selection. Really. Whatever floats your boat I guess. If I were resident in Alaska, I'd be having the finest fresh fish, crab legs, moose/caribou steaks and burgers...bear eats damn good as well. I've killed a few black bears in my time, they eat damn good. You gotta get off that TV dinner crap, my man...get you some real groceries.

Latest posts

Back