What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made over 2 gallons of the stuff! yum...
P5150048.JPG
P5140045.JPG
P5130032.JPG

50e4cd674f193ed11087a3ddb10d4723.jpg

5f0be1fbf1125f0b8ac0460b3040300d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did a roll up w the big muscle in the ham of a big whitetail years ago. I covered it w chopped black walnuts,salt,pepper,herbs,dried mushrooms,diced onion,and sprinkled w soy sauce or worcestershire if i remember. The best part of a roll up is the rare meat in the middle and done meat near the outside so when sliced in rounds everyone can get the meat they like.

Love pulled pork, ribs. Was in St Louis a few years ago with my climber ( we flew to PA to pick up Kodiak 4 wheel drive and drove back to OR; had to trend south to avoid a March blizzard).

We got two sampler platters at “Salt and Smoke” downtown— amazing stuff, and we couldn’t finish it!

Like to BBQ over charcoal with a Webber. I have done leg of lamb, pork butts, and prime rib. Local wild salmon (a benefit of living in a town on the Columbia River) comes out really well— no foil involved!

Get some fresh ( not defrosted) fillets; anything from the supermarket has been frozen, even if marked “fresh”. I usually buy mine from the local NAs that sell them out of coolers by the river— some of you may think this is sketchy, but the fish were netted hours ago and put on ice. Best price is a whole gutted fish — 20 years ago you could get a wild (non hatchery) King for $5 a pound (weighing 8- 20 lbs). Now it is $8-$12. Double that in a store for something that was frozen.

Simple to cook: fillet the fish
( big fillets have to be cut smaller so they are easier to flip).

Light the charcoal, medium hot fire.

Marinate the fillets; my favorite is a mix of oil, soy sauce, and fresh lemon; add fresh ground pepper, lots of minced garlic and ginger. Sorry, no measures, but it is hard to screw this up; just go light on the soy sauce, more lemon juice than either oil or soy sauce. Marinate in a gallon Zip lock bag and turn it over a few times.

Only marinate for about 20 minutes! Too long and you start to make ceviche out of it.

Oil the grill, and start cooking meat side down; cook for about 5 min then flip (although you might peek at it sooner). The time will depend on how thick they are. Cover while cooking, and have some water handy to dampen flare ups.

Taking it off is critical— too long and it gets chewy. I take it off when it starts to “ milk” in the thin part and is still raw in the middle of the thick part. Then put it on a platter and cover with foil— that way it will finish cooking and not be over done.

Almost all salmon you get in a restaurant will be over cooked and taste fishy. You will blow peoples minds cooking it this way, and should work great for other fish too.

No foil on the grill, and use charcoal!

Love pulled pork, ribs. Was in St Louis a few years ago with my climber ( we flew to PA to pick up Kodiak 4 wheel drive and drove back to OR; had to trend south to avoid a March blizzard). We got two sampler platters at “Salt and Smoke” downtown— amazing stuff, and we couldn’t finish it! Like to BBQ over charcoal with a Webber. I have done leg of lamb, pork butts, and prime rib. Local wild salmon (a benefit of living in a town on the Columbia River) comes out really well— no foil involved!
hi D - being from the PNW - salmon is still right up there close to top on my TOP Meats/Fish Favs List! smoked to grilled. but usually i do a simple poaching. melt in mouth. i have a couple of pork hocks i had planned to brine and smoke, ham hocks n cabbage... but think i will thaw one and slow cook it in oven at around 200f. or so. got it from small grocery that brings in several hogs a day and butchers the halves, sells it all... fresh! of course, BBQ down here in Texas is a traditional tradition! my fav is cooking over hot wood coals...

look fwd to more of your posts... and cooking ideas...
1616427774937.png

hi D - being from the PNW - salmon is still right up there close to top on my TOP Meats/Fish Favs List! smoked to grilled. but usually i do a simple poaching. melt in mouth. i have a couple of pork hocks i had planned to brine and smoke, ham hocks n cabbage... but think i will thaw one and slow cook it in oven at around 200f. or so. got it from small grocery that brings in several hogs a day and butchers the halves, sells it all... fresh! of course, BBQ down here in Texas is a traditional tradition! my fav is cooking over hot wood coals...

look fwd to more of your posts... and cooking ideas...
View attachment 896429
I’ll be back! I just went looking for a pic of salmon on the grill and found some from that restaurant! Maybe it will load...Bingo. We took the bones to gnaw completely, a plate of sides we didn’t touch, and a quart of sauce with us. That’s my climber. Found out later that the platters would “feed two”, or, I guess a hungry tree guy!

Attachments

• 3621E8A4-4F10-4703-825A-B66EB9D41B95.jpeg
    3621E8A4-4F10-4703-825A-B66EB9D41B95.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 8
Back