What's it worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to sell my old 22 ton Husky splitter. It's got a lot of hours on it and the new car smell has long gone.
It starts first pull every time, and It's kinda rugged looking but it works just fine.
What should I ask for it? I'm wanting 400 to 500 but that may be wishful thinking.
What would you pay for a used splitter in this condition.

10mmtkg.jpg

66b32b.jpg

2z4abe1.jpg

Here you say you want 4-500.00 for the splitter and follow that up with ''that may be wishful thinking''. Then you list the splitter for 550.00 and get calls wanting it at that price and your still not happy? Don't get greedy.

Here you say you want 4-500.00 for the splitter and follow that up with ''that may be wishful thinking''. Then you list the splitter for 550.00 and get calls wanting it at that price and your still not happy? Don't get greedy.

Like you wouldn't consider doing the same?
I never said I was unhappy. You read something into what I never said.
What worse, a greedy buyer or a greedy seller?

I'm going to sell my old 22 ton Husky splitter. It's got a lot of hours on it and the new car smell has long gone.
It starts first pull every time, and It's kinda rugged looking but it works just fine.
What should I ask for it? I'm wanting 400 to 500 but that may be wishful thinking.
What would you pay for a used splitter in this condition.

$400.00 easy.
10mmtkg.jpg

66b32b.jpg

2z4abe1.jpg

I just looked online and Home Depot has a brand new 25 ton splitter very comparable to yours for $899. Nothing special about the "Huskee" name sorry. For a little extra a warranty is available I'm sure. You stated you sell firewood, and it's been your daily splitter for 10 years, so you have been using a homeowner machine for a decade commercially and are getting offers of 2/3rds what you paid 10 years ago, but are thinking you low balled it? I'm thinking people should spend the extra few bucks and get a brand new machine with a warranty. Who knows how much longer your engine will last. Just my two cents of course :)

I just looked online and Home Depot has a brand new 25 ton splitter very comparable to yours for $899. Nothing special about the "Huskee" name sorry. For a little extra a warranty is available I'm sure. You stated you sell firewood, and it's been your daily splitter for 10 years, so you have been using a homeowner machine for a decade commercially and are getting offers of 2/3rds what you paid 10 years ago, but are thinking you low balled it? I'm thinking people should spend the extra few bucks and get a brand new machine with a warranty. Who knows how much longer your engine will last. Just my two cents of course :)

I agree completely. I already said I got my moneys worth out of it several times over. but there is no reason to think a new one would last any longer. New machines are worthless if you have down time and warranty work done. However splitters are simple machines and if cared for can last decades. It's not my call if someone buys new or used, that's there choice. But there is no reason not to get as much as it's worth and just give it away because it's used. Obviously it's not a deal for you, but someone else may be happy to pay what I'm asking. I don't feel like I over priced it. In fact many have said they would snap it up in a hurry at this price.

I would probably sell it at a discount to help out an up and coming woodsman. You may be allowing him to keep food in his kids bellies, isn't that payment enough?

True enough, but no one gave me a discount when I started up. What about my kids bellies? Shouldn't I be able to provide for them as well? And firewood sellers in my area are ruthless. They delete my ads, bad mouth me because my wood prices are lower then there's. They clam I sell green wood when they are the one's selling green wood. I've been doing this for over 10 years. I have seen my share of greedy buyers and sellers in my day. Fair market value is not being greedy.
So your saying, you would give away a tool that would allow someone to compete with you for sales, just because it makes you feel good?

Hope the first guy comes to get it. I was just going to say I see used splitters on CL for ridiculous prices around here. Like $100-200 less than new, and some look beat to death. Of course I don't know what they actually sell for, but it's crazy!

Used utility trailers are like that too. Used one's are as much as new one's.

Used utility trailers are like that too. Used one's are as much as new one's.

Very true. We have a good small engine shop nearby. As they have grown they have started selling LS tractors. I see ads for some they get in on trade that are priced almost what a new one is.

Very true. We have a good small engine shop nearby. As they have grown they have started selling LS tractors. I see ads for some they get in on trade that are priced almost what a new one is.

I priced parts that would bring my old splitter up like new performance, New pump, new cylinder, new filter, new hoses, new motor. It added up to as much as a brand new splitter of equal power. I needed a bigger stronger unit then what a 22 ton can handle, so I bought a new 40 ton unit. I planed on keeping the old one for a back up, but in over 10 years of use with the old one, it showed me that they don't break down much if at all. I did the same thing with my saws, I had a fleet of 5 saws but found that I just didn't have a need for that many saws. I found myself having to use them just to keep them in good running order.
I sold all but 2 saws out of the 5 I had. I spent money on back up equipment I never really used. So the old splitter needs to go.

Like you wouldn't consider doing the same?
I never said I was unhappy. You read something into what I never said.
What worse, a greedy buyer or a greedy seller?

No sir I would not,but that's just me. Two wrongs NEVER make a right.

Whats wrong with getting fair market value?

Nothing wrong with that, that's what your doing NOW. Look, its your splitter to sell for whatever you want. Just remember that because you have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Nothing wrong with that, that's what your doing NOW. Look, its your splitter to sell for whatever you want. Just remember that because you have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Okay, let me get this right, if he starts out at $900, and lowers his price until someone buys it at $650, THAT would be acceptable/honorable?

But if he starts out too low, and doesn't have a firm commitment with any buyer, then adjusting his price to a "Fair Market Value " is wrong, and he should sell for less than a fair price?

"Fair Market Value" is what a buyer is willing to pay, especially when there isn't mitigating circumstances like price gouging Food or Fuel after a natural disaster.

If his asking price is too high, no one will buy it, no one is FORCING anyone to buy his splitter.

Lesson learned, ALWAYS start at a rediculously HIGH price and then come down until it sells, don't bother trying to price it reasonably to start with.

Doug

hope the first guy ($550) comes and gets it. cold weather down there got people thinking.:yes:

He has called me several times to confirm I'm still holding it. He sounds like he is excited about getting it at that price. He lives about an hour and a half away but the roads are still to icey for safe travel. I'm holding it till Saturday morning. If he is a no show I will call the next person in line. We are actually having a colder then normal winter this year. My pond has frozen over for the first time in 10 years. We don't get much snow but we do get ice. People freak out and can't deal with ice down here. The news has been on all day for several days covering the ice storm like it;s the end of the world. lol

So your saying 550 is too high and I should give it away to a total stranger so I can have that warm and fuzzy feeling?
Why is someone else struggle any different then mine? You seem to think I'm made of money and can afford to just give everything away. Your also suggesting the slpitter is worthless and I should give it away. You sound like a democrat. And it sounds like your saying that holding it till Saturday so the first person that made a reasonable offer is not fair?

Latest posts

Back